60 days only potatoes

Options
Iv heard and read how people have done 60 days of just eating boiled potatoes without things added and have lost nearly 10kg in 2 months without help from exercise. Has anyone done this? Want opinions on how it worked and if its a good diet to go on to help lose weight to tone up quick woth exercise

Replies

• SassyMommasaurus
    SassyMommasaurus Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Sounds awfully bland and boreing
  • GhostX1994
    GhostX1994 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Well whats the best food to eat and how much and often should i to help tone and gain muslce? Bland and boring foods dont really bother me, i plan to exercise aswell and try at least 5 times a week. Im just trying to find a quick way to lose the fat as its mainly my stomach and top of legs, but i want to put on alot of muslce aswell, i know cant have both so rather muslce and tone
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    What a ludicrous idea.
  • TheRootofGroot
    TheRootofGroot Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Posting in a troll thread.
    Buddy in the picture, although powerlifter plump, obviously has some good gains and must have some idea of what he was doing.
    My theory is that it isn't even his pic and he's making troll threads because well, why not?

If somehow he's serious then he is beyond a hope if he would consider a boiled potato diet for even a moment.
    MUSCLE AND TONE... Pfft.
    Just eat at a slight deficit, maintain protein intake from 25-30% of daily calories, and figure out the rest.
  • SassyMommasaurus
    SassyMommasaurus Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight, count your calories don't eat back more than you burn. There isn't any super food that is going to make you lose weight quicker but adding more fruits and veggies to your diet if you don't normally eat them is good for anyone. As for muscle, start lifting.
  • GhostX1994
    Options
    Im not trolling, just iv read up about people doing this and working thats why im asking, i dont have much idea on diets and exercise as i havnt been to a gym for years due to personal matters. Only exercise i get is carrying my 2 year old son around
  • TheRootofGroot
    Options
    Apologies for being a prick.
    Look, just eat at a slight deficit.
    Google TDEE calculator.
    Figure out how much you need to eat, and eat normal foods, whole foods.
    Limit the amount of canned and boxed foods, and especially cut out restaurant and fast foods.
    Maintain a high enough ratio of protein.
  • GhostX1994
    Options
    Its fine mate haha

Yeah thats why i ask iv always had problems with right foods to eat and how much etc, i plan my exercise as ill start to go gym 5 times a week and try sticking to 2 hours a day but depends when i work really, most time im out so i try to just eat subway subs with most of the veg to help but yeah i need to start buying and making at home save me more money
  • Melmo1988
    Melmo1988 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I know there is a guy on YouTube who lost a lot of weight doing this. Because I was curious I put potatoes only into my diary to see and if you ate approx 2,800 calories worth of potatoes, you would be getting plenty of protein, iron and fiber but you would only be getting half your calcium so I would take a supplement or add some soy/almond milk.
    Have you ever looked into going vegan? Very healthy for yourself and the environment :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you have a child, you need to have at least some knowledge of nutrition. It's not rocket science, though. Are you familiar with the concept of food groups? You know, fruit, vegetables, meat and fish, grains, dairy, fats? Have some food from every food group every day. Eat different foods through the day and from day to day. If you can cook, do that, if not, it's a good skill to learn because it allows you to eat well for cheap.
  • GhostX1994
    Options
    Im not looking into being vegan sorry

I know abit about right foods but im wanting to see what i can eat that will work best for muslce gaining and stuff, only food i dont eat is seafood and egg
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat any particular foods. There aren't any super foods for weigh loss or muscle gain.
  • TheRootofGroot
    Options
    Melmo1988 wrote: »
    I know there is a guy on YouTube who lost a lot of weight doing this. Because I was curious I put potatoes only into my diary to see and if you ate approx 2,800 calories worth of potatoes, you would be getting plenty of protein, iron and fiber but you would only be getting half your calcium so I would take a supplement or add some soy/almond milk.
    Have you ever looked into going vegan? Very healthy for yourself and the environment :)

Hah!
    Okay so I checked for fun.
    25 "medium" sized potatoes would yield 2750 calories.
    5 grams of fat
    75 grams of protein
    650 grams of carbs
    You'd have 250mg of sodium to 15 THOUSAND mg of potassium.
    HELLO Hyperkalemia!

Once again vegans imparting us with valuable nutrition advice!
    Not only would such a measly amount of protein be detrimental to a big lad like that trying to gain muscle, but the hyperkalemia induced by such an inordinate ratio of sodium to potassium would leave him feeling extremely weak and bedridden and likely in the hospital in no time.
  • GhostX1994
    Options
    So will having protein powder acually help me ir is it just bs and waste of money? Never used due to believing it doesnt work? Since its like 120 for 5kg that wouldnt last long?
  • TheRootofGroot
    Options
    Well it is a supplement.
    So that means it isn't meant to be a primary source, but rather something to help you reach you goals.

Once you get started on this application you'll have a daily goal of carbs, proteins and fats that fit within your daily limit of calories.

Depending on what you eat throughout the day, it might be you get near the end of your day and you've 300 calories left to eat yet because of what you have eaten you still need 60g of protein.
    In a situation like that, an isolate protein powder would be perfect because you could get your 60g of protein (which equals 240 calories) without needless carbs and fats.

But if you plan your meals you can get all the macro and micro nutrients you need from whole foods, which is always best.