Why....

Options
Realeyez_
Realeyez_ Posts: 58 Member
edited June 2016 in Motivation and Support
Lifestyle change.. Care to share?

Why now?

What keeps you motivated?

Is there something you know now that you wish you knew in the beginning?

Replies

• tifflong109
    tifflong109 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I found out that im pre diabetic, with a serious kick in the butt like that, I have to follow doctors orders and get my act straight, to turn this thing around. I thought i was motivated before, but now, i have no other choice
  • angelicscars
    angelicscars Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've always been overweight and in 2013 I made the decision to lose the weight and get fit, became hooked on the gym, lost a fair bit but then I injured my knee badly, after months of physio (that made things worse) I got diagnosed with grade 4 osteoarthritis and was told I wouldn't be able to be active like I used to be and that I shouldn't do anything that aggravates it including taking the stairs. I got depressed and gained all the weight I lost and list the muscle I had worked hard for.
    In January this year I told myself I wasn't going to let this define me anymore and that I was going to get healthy my way. I joined slimming world on 4th Jan and have lost 3 stone, can now take the stairs, I walk wherever possible. I feel like a new woman, this keeps me going, my SW group keep me going and the positive comments I get from people I know keeps me going. I just wish I had known about slimming world 15 years ago!
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Why now?
    I'm tired of being sick and tired! I'm tired of not being able to chase after my 3y.o. niece and I want no what ifs if I am unable to have children ( I'm 37 and have PCOS) so I don't want to question what if I'd have tried to loose.

What keeps me motivated?
    My 3 Y.o. niece ( I am starting to be more active), changes in my body ( lost inches ), and my husband ( we are very competitive)

What do I know now that I wish I knew then?
    Smaller plates are great, buy a food scale, drink plenty of water!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I always viewed my being fat as nasty. It just took someone else pointing out what I disgusting pig I had become, that finally made me realize that it was a real problem, and not just one in my head.

That last part is important in the current western world, because waistlines are ever expanding, so our view of acceptable is getting pretty warped.

ETA: current motivation? There really isn't any, other than not wanting to go back to what I was.
  • tomw86
    tomw86 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Seeing my 30th birthday looming on the horizon and realising I had wasted my twenties made me want to begin my next decade in the best shape of my life. 93lbs gone and 35 to go.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I began because of my desire, to be the healthiest vessel possible; for birthing/raising children! However currently I suspect that I am going through early menopause (I am only 36 years old), so I continue just because I spent thousands of dollars on creating a home gym, new cookware, etc. & because it's just become apart of my routine.
  • TheRootofGroot
    TheRootofGroot Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I had a similar awakening to tomw86.
    I was 28th, and I had let myself get fat.
    I realized that if I just let things go on as they were I'd get fatter and the longer I let it go the harder it would be to make a change.

So that dreary 30 was my motivation.
    I told myself that I'd be in the best shape of my life in time for my 30s, and I did it!
  • erickalynch19
    erickalynch19 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    For me I have always be overweight my whole life and it bugged me. I got tired of not being able to afford pant that fit me an I go through the fast because of my thighs. I also can't stand the clothes that these stores sell for us overweight girls. Some of the stuff is cute but a lot of it just make you wonder if they are trying to punished us. What motivates me is my ma who is helping me lose weight and has lose over 200 pounds herself.
  • cinnag4225
    cinnag4225 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I've been overweight since puberty. It started with a massive appetite changed in April following a severe bout of stress, which led to about 16lbs dropped throughout May. When I realized how much I'd lost I started officially tracking and running June 1st. There are several reasons that prompted. One of the biggest ones is realizing I've been having problems with my knees for over a year now, and those problems bare a stark resemblance to the ones my mom had when she was about the same age. Knowing where that road would lead me was a big kick in the butt. It's also suspected that my husband and I have been unable to conceive because of the weight, and I can't run and play nearly as much with my nephews and nieces as I'd like.

And then there is my ultimate bucket list item. There is a company that specializes in volcano tours, and of course the ones I want to do require a significant level of fitness.