Calories don't count on weekends

Options
Hi guys so this weekend I ended up eating everything that I liked and felt really really guilty ☹️ I probably ate around 2500 calories on sat and mid sun I already ate 1200 calories. So what do y'all guys think about eating mindlessly on weekends? This Saturday I just weigh in and found out that the scale finally moved after weeks so I guess it's a form of rewarding myself but still felt rather guilty about it. Would appreciate if u guys share ur experiences with me

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat more on weekends then bank some calories during the week, maybe shave off 100-150 calories per day through M-F.
    Or you could set your calories to maintenance on the weekends, this way you'll just see a slower loss compared to maybe a gain if you're going way over your usual calories.
    Either way make sure and log it ALL 7 days a week. Don't stick your head in the sand on weekends
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Actually, calories do count on weekends, but if you're active enough to burn off some excess calories it works out ok. Since 2500 calories gives you a 1 day calorie surplus pretty much equal to 1 day of your 'good' calorie deficit, the net effect of your Saturday is that you're going to take longer to reach your goal weight. If that matters to you you'll do something about it.
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    People! Look at this from the food database on this site!!

Generic - Shabbat - שַׁבָּת - Celebrate & Rest. Count 1 Meal As 310 Calories to Keep Count Going.
    1 Sabbath Meal, 310 calories

For those who observe Sundays, look up "Sabbath" in the foods.

Ya' gotta Love This!! :smiley:
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Banking calories during the week and blowing my deficit during the week is the reason it took me 2 years to hit my goal weight...So it does matter. Just log these weekend splurges, but watch a weekly deficit rather than a daily one: keep you on track so you continue to see results
  • Intentional_Me
    Intentional_Me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Banking calories during the week and blowing my deficit during the week is the reason it took me 2 years to hit my goal weight...So it does matter. Just log these weekend splurges, but watch a weekly deficit rather than a daily one: keep you on track so you continue to see results

Is there a spot of MFP to view weekly deficit or do you just do the math?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Mindless eating on the weekend is a good way to wipe out your deficit for the week and stall or gain weight back. You will probably have to work out harder during the week or eat less to make up for the weekends.
    Eating at maintenance level one or two days a week is a better idea.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I don't use weekends as a free for all. I don't really eat any differently on weekends than I do during the week, except I'm more likely to have cocktails or wine. I try not to mindlessly eat. If you're eating because you're bored find something to do, and ask yourself whether you're actually hungry or just bored. If you're hungry then opt for a healthy snack or meal or something portion controlled.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options

Is there a spot of MFP to view weekly deficit or do you just do the math?
    Go to the menu and select Reports. From the pull down tab, select Calories, and choose the reporting period as Week. You can see your daily progress.

I log daily, and when I'm in control, I weigh and measure almost everything. My husband and I have dinner out on Friday nights and Sunday nights, and I eat accordingly during the day, and give dinner my best guesstimate.

Personally, I have never done well eating back all my exercise calories. Doing that put me on an 18-month plateau. I only eat back 25% at the most. That way, if my exercise calories for the week keep me in a deficit, then I can let loose a LITTLE bit on weekends and "special" occasions.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Calories count on weekends my dear. I just ate enough yesterday to wipe out a whole weeks worth of a deficit. It's a real situation.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    My scale often tells me on Monday that those calories certainly do count on the weekends even though I would love to pretend they don't. Telling me that today in fact, my hike I did yesterday was totally voided by all the crap food I ate.
  • jahillegas_51
    jahillegas_51 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Yes, everyone has basically added the tough love. Calories don't care what day of the week it is, they count the same on Saturday night as Monday morning.

I highly suggest you look into IIFYM, that maybe something that suits your lifestyle well. Let me know if you need help understanding it!

Ultimately, you have to chose what is most important. Would you rather eat all the doughnuts or eat one, enjoy it, and still be on track to meet your goal? That is basically IIFYM in a nutshell. However, the choice in the moment is hard as hell. You can see all the doughnuts and you know the enjoyment that will come from them. Its much tougher to see your physical goal, because you can only visualize it. Its not tangible like the food.

If you choose the food you accept the potential consequences that follow. If you are scared about weight gain, I suggest not standing on the scale after a weekend like this. It tends to compound the effects of the choices and you want to punish yourself. Which for some, like myself leads to a Pandoras box of a nasty cycle of binge & punish.