Fiber supplements?

Talk to me about fiber please! I know I'm not getting enough, and I know it's important. I know it keeps you feeling full. I'm wondering if I should add a fiber supplement to my diet, and if so, which one do you recommend? There are sooooo many choices, benefiber, Metamucil, etc... And then there are different ways to take it, like the drinks, flavored packets,.. I'm not sure where to start.

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    I put a little benefiber in my protein shakes. It dissolves well and doesn't impact taste or texture. Works for me. Just be careful and increase fiber slowly as the body likes to respond to increases in fiber with constipation. Make sure you're getting enough healthy fat and drinking enough water/fluids as well. A little cucumber water (cucumber is a very mild natural diuretic) can help if you get stopped up.

I get fiber through veggies, fruits (raspberries, blackberries) and a little oatmeal, plus some yummy potatoes. And the benefiber, of course!
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    I use the inexpensive Rite-Aid brand orange flavored fiber supplement mixed in with my protein shakes..something about orange and chocolate that goes together really well for me.
  • Happysoul0317
    Happysoul0317 Posts: 119 Member
    Fiber Smart by Renee Life is amazing. It tastes good and it has anti inflammatory properties. It also doesn't make you "go" more. It regulates your whole digestive system....but it's pricey. $45. You can find it at wellness shops and online. It's also packed with probiotics which help with metabolism. I've been taking it for a month and have noticed that I have so much more energy and I just feel better. My sister is a natropath and got this to help with my colitis. I'm hooked.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Prune juice and/or stewed prunes
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Popcorn is great for fiber -- and lower calorie when you air pop it.

Fiber One products are great for breakfast or snacks.

Nature's Path raisin bran, Heritage flakes, and multibran flakes are packed with fiber, too.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I get plenty of fiber from the veggies I eat.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Eat some beans, lentils, bran flakes cereal, and yes, fruits and veggies.
    More fun to eat fiber than to mix it with water in a glass and swallow gritty water.
    Fiber foods have been my secret in feeling full. Sugar has no fiber.
    Foods high in fiber http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/high-fiber-foods/art-20050948
    All you need is about 21 grams a day.
  • adoette
    adoette Posts: 181 Member
    I use the flavorless benefiber stuff. I just stir one serving/dose into my morning coffee and that usually pushes me to the lower limit on fiber. If you stir as you tip the spoon in (be amazed at the amount of coordination that shows for me, pre coffee) it doesn't clump at all. 30 secs of stirring and you're ready to go, and can't even tell you've added it in.
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    I take 2 or 3 nature fiber gummies a day. Seems to work ok for me. I used to snack on those 90 calorie fiber one brownie bars too.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited June 2016
    I tend to run between 30g and 50g per day without taking a supplement. Only time I've had some problems was when I was doing low carb; basically I had to consciously make food choices to increase fiber in my diet.

If you're on coumadin (blood thinner), be careful with preparations using psyllium or flaxseed - they interfere with the operation of the coumadin. Metamucil is made with psyllium fiber, Benefiber isn't to name two of the most popular ones out there.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited June 2016
  • CaseyJ0
    CaseyJ0 Posts: 13 Member
    Thanks for all the responses. I do eat the fiber one brownies for a snack. Those are good. Always try to get more veggies in too. Just wasn't sure if a supplement was the way to go.
  • runlong16
    runlong16 Posts: 14 Member
    I got Metamucil today and it kept me full! As part of a healthy diet of course
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member

I prefer the Super Colon Blow. :smiley: