Gained weight after a major loss the week before

Options
Hi Everyone! So I hopped on the scale last week and lost 5.6lbs! So this past week, I worked out even more and stayed on point! Hopped on the scale again and gained 3lbs!!! It's beyond frustrating and now I just want to know what I am doing wrong?! Has this happened to anyone else? Let me know-I'm feeling a little dejected about it.

Replies

• lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Most likely water. I find if I've had a big dip the next day I'm up by half then after a week or so it comes back down. Weight loss isn't linear.
  • Zella_11
    Zella_11 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Water weight fluctuations can cause such a change. Keep on keepin' on and you will lose. :)
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuations are normal, you have to focus on the overall trend, not daily numbers. There are many variables that go into weight loss, and there are many things that can cause you to temporarily "gain weight". Don't stress about it, take weekly averages so you can see how you are trending.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Last week that 5.6 pounds may have been fat and water (assuming 100% accuracy and deficit), and then you put back on 3 pounds and in week that too is water.

Do you know for sure that 5.6 pounds you lost was total fat loss? Probably not since you are here asking about it and if you were sure you would have been watching weight trends since the beginning of your journey.

Your scenario is exactly why especially us women, need to use trends for our weight.. use a range.. It can be up 5, down 3, up 1, down 2. This is a never ending cycle most days and week! Think about all the things that affect a women's weight? Increased exercise, sodium, hydration or lack there of, time of the month or close to it, carb in take, etc..

• vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    If you get freaked out by fluctuations, don't weigh yourself so often.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. Track these trends. When I see a drop like that I am 99% sure it will spike back up a little. It's because I literally have two years of data and have tracked that particular trend. It's normal for a lot of us to see a big drop then a small spike back up.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    If you get freaked out by fluctuations, don't weigh yourself so often.

:(
  • MadPanda75
    MadPanda75 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's comments! I'm trying not to be a slave to the scale and realize I am more than just a number!
  • rawley69
    rawley69 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    People forget drinks and food weigh something after it enters your body.
    Your daily recommended water intake of half-a-gallon weighs 4 lbs.
    Depending on what food you eat during the day, you can be consuming 2lbs or so.

This is why I only weigh in the morning, after I poo. Even then you see fluctuations and stalls and reverses.