Dieting isn't for me

Options
I can do good for few days but then make up for it with a binge I've really learnt bordom is my main issue I don't have a social life at the moment so sit in and eat am moving on Friday to New city lose to friends so think that will help

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are first you need to find something to do that isn't eating to deal with boredom or emotions.
    Exercise, knit, paint, meditate, clean, play games, walk the dog, talk to someone, garden, write, read a book... whatever, just try doing something else.
    Second, don't radically change your diet or set your goal too restrictive. Weight loss is about calories. You can still eat food you like in the appropriate portion sizes. If you are 50+ lbs overweight you might find 2 lbs a week doable otherwise set your goal for 1 lb a week. If you are less than 20 lbs overweight then .5 lbs a week is better.
    Plan meals. Prelog your day of food. Don't keep foods you tend to binge on in your house or buy them in small quantities.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you chose an overly aggressive goal given your diary, unless you are a very short and light person.

I don't know how much you weigh, but you might find you're more successful if you set a more reasonable goal that gives you more calories per day. Try entering 1lb/wk. Eat those calories. Choose foods that are satiating. Eat at least 50-75% of your exercise calories.

If you are fueling yourself more appropriately, it may keep you from overeating after a few days.
  • laurenduffy1988
    laurenduffy1988 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My calories are 1450 a day I am about 28 lb overweight to be honest I probably don't eat much different from this when I don't binge as I love healthy food and not hungry all the time, I think it's in my mind when am on a plan I want to break it
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    For me, it is harder to eat healthier when I am around friends because I want to eat what they are doing.

I understand eating when bored. I try to leave more calories for the evening because I like to snack. I portion and weigh out what I want to eat and put the rest away. I try to drink water or club soda with lime so I am not taking in any extra calories. It's hard to break the habit of endless snacking, but drinking definitely helps me.
  • __leis__
    __leis__ Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    That's because diets don't work. Whenever I cut out a food or label a food as bad I can't stop thinking about that food! How about instead of "dieting" you eat all of your favorite foods but in smaller portions. I love pizza, so I eat a lean cuisine pizza whenever I want (they're actually pretty good) if I'm craving a more cheesy pizza I'll go to a place that sells it by the slice. I will not buy an entire pizza because I will eat it, even if I pre log a couple of slices and tell myself "I can have more tomorrow". I don't keep high calorie or indulgent foods in the house. The other day I totaled my car, I wanted nothing more than a huge bag of chips to drown my sorrows in, but I don't keep them in the house. So, I had a huge bowl of cherries. I'm still a work in progress when it comes to boredom or stress eating but I'm setting myself up for success by not having indulgent foods in my house.
    Finding a hobby is always a good idea. I taught myself how to knit, crochet and sew by watching you tube videos. If you learn a simple knit stitch and buy two skeins of yarn that's an inexpensive way to keep yourself busy for a few hours (or several) and you can have a cute scarf afterwards!
  • jahillegas_51
    jahillegas_51 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    leelou84 wrote: »
    That's because diets don't work. Whenever I cut out a food or label a food as bad I can't stop thinking about that food! How about instead of "dieting" you eat all of your favorite foods but in smaller portions. I love pizza, so I eat a lean cuisine pizza whenever I want (they're actually pretty good) if I'm craving a more cheesy pizza I'll go to a place that sells it by the slice. I will not buy an entire pizza because I will eat it, even if I pre log a couple of slices and tell myself "I can have more tomorrow". I don't keep high calorie or indulgent foods in the house. The other day I totaled my car, I wanted nothing more than a huge bag of chips to drown my sorrows in, but I don't keep them in the house. So, I had a huge bowl of cherries. I'm still a work in progress when it comes to boredom or stress eating but I'm setting myself up for success by not having indulgent foods in my house.
    Finding a hobby is always a good idea. I taught myself how to knit, crochet and sew by watching you tube videos. If you learn a simple knit stitch and buy two skeins of yarn that's an inexpensive way to keep yourself busy for a few hours (or several) and you can have a cute scarf afterwards!

Pretty much stole the words right out of my mouth:))
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Don't know if moving to NYC and hanging with friends will make much of a difference since so many get together a are centered around eating and drinking. There's nothing wrong with snacking or eating a lot at once, just do it with lower calorie food. Air popped popcorn is good or fresh veggies and hummus. In general, try to stay within your calorie budget. Dieting should be a lifestyle change, not a short term commitment.

What worked for me was to slowly swap out healthier lower calories foods for calorie dense foods. I also cut out booze, but that is not necessary to lose weight or keep it off. Log what you eat and make mindful decisions. Tonight I would love pizza but because I snacked all day I'm going to for go pizza and have a baked potato with chives and some sharp cheddar so I still have the cheese and starch, just not as many calories of it. I also like to eat large amounts of food and will generally use fresh fruit and veggies as filler, so I have the bulk with fewer calories. Good luck and have fun in the city!
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    So, don't "diet".
    Focus on making small, healthy changes - eat more veggies, exercise regularly, overhaul one meal or snack at a time.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I can do good for few days but then make up for it with a binge I've really learnt bordom is my main issue I don't have a social life at the moment so sit in and eat am moving on Friday to New city lose to friends so think that will help

For 40 years dieting never worked for me so I stopped forever a couple years ago and just started eating to recover my health. Now at 65 my health markers are better than at 45. One down side effect is I am now down 60 pounds. Maintaining the first 50 pounds down for 12 months let me know I was right to stop trying to lose weight forever.

Best of success in your new city.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    My calories are 1450 a day I am about 28 lb overweight to be honest I probably don't eat much different from this when I don't binge as I love healthy food and not hungry all the time, I think it's in my mind when am on a plan I want to break it

Don't follow a plan; just eat less and move more to create the caloric deficit necessary for weight loss.

• happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Dieting isn't for me either especially since it isn't a diet that got me to where I was it was my old lifestyle. I changed my lifestyle a couple months ago. I eat what I want as long as it fits in my diary. I am an emotional eater and eat when bored as well so now I either crochet or read or take the dog for a walk.
  • rennickm1986
    rennickm1986 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Stop having crap food in the house. If it isn't there, you can't munch on it passing the kitchen. It will come down to convenience. What's easier? The celery in the fridge or the chips at the store?
  • lexylondon
    lexylondon Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Stop having crap food in the house. If it isn't there, you can't munch on it passing the kitchen. It will come down to convenience. What's easier? The celery in the fridge or the chips at the store?

I had to remove all snacks much to my partners dismay, because I had no willpower... 2 months on and I can avoid them but at first I couldn't. I would look in the cupboard and the fridge a million times and not have anything handy to grab so I wouldn't eat!
  • lexylondon
    lexylondon Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    If you exercise enough you don't really have to diet... So if your happy to go really hard at the gym or wherever...
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options

Don't follow a plan; just eat less and move more to create the caloric deficit necessary for weight loss.

^^ this
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    lexylondon wrote: »
    If you exercise enough you don't really have to diet... So if your happy to go really hard at the gym or wherever...

But that is not a lifetime fix for an over weight issue.
  • chrisssiex23x
    chrisssiex23x Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Even if you go on a hour or 2 walk it all helps. Im not very socail ever. I work 4hrs and i live with a 3 year old lol until my partner move in at the end of year. But i sure do love to get out and walk. Even if i have tl bribe the little one to go in the buggie ;)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    yeah usually anyone that restricts their calories too much find they can't stick to it...hence the desire lessens to stick with it.
    Choose a less aggressive deficit, be patient and realise its not a race. Slow and steady is better.