Best way to gain muscle

Options
I ust to always train every body part every day like chest, legs, arm etc everyday and people tell me its a good thing and a bad thing, which is it and if its a bad way to gain muscle quick what would be the best way possible

Replies

• DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I just came across THIS today, piques my interest
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Every body part, every day? Doesn't seem efficient to me. I mean there are ways to get a ridiculous amount of volume and frequency for each body part without training every muscle every single dang day. Where's the time for muscle recovery? It's needed for growth. If you personally like a lot of volume check out something like Layne Norton's PHAT program.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Who are the people telling you that is good and bad? The MAGIC question is, did you grow this muscle faster, quicker, bigger or better?

If you were doing total body everyday, that is not necessary and not building more muscle faster, etc. Train the full body three days a week and rest between each day. You don't just build the muscle in the gym, they grow while you are rest. Why keep breaking down the same muscles everyday?

Your genetics are at play when growing muscle mass as well as how fast depends more so if you are on a structured progressive overload strength training program and how you have chosen to build such as a clean bulk or dirty bulk. Your choice.

Depending on where you are in your training (number of years lifting), pick you a program, or work with a PT or a coach.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Lift and eat and rest! Rinse and repeat.
  • arditarose
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Who are the people telling you that is good and bad?

If you were doing total body everyday, that is not necessary and not building more muscle faster, etc. Train the full body three days a week and rest between each day. You don't just build the muscle in the gym, they grow while you are rest. Why keep breaking down the same muscles everyday?

Your genetics are at play when growing muscle mass as well as how fast depends more so if you are on a structured progressive overload strength training program and how you have chosen to build such as a clean bulk or dirty bulk. Your choice.

Depending on where you are in your training (number of years lifting), pick you a program, or work with a PT or a coach.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Lift and eat and rest! Rinse and repeat.

I agree with most of this but not everyone wants a 3 day full body strength training program. Though, the link is good and I believe it will show programs with some other splits as well.
  • GhostX1994
    GhostX1994 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Cheers for that, had good information
  • GhostX1994
    Options
    When i ust to train i did 2 hours a day every day for 6 months straight, i didnt find i got big just got very toned and lost 16kgs which probs explains my nerv injury i got in my wrist but still doesnt stop me as the pain stops if i keep working the muscles around it daily
  • arditarose
    Options
    GhostX1994 wrote: »
    When i ust to train i did 2 hours a day every day for 6 months straight, i didnt find i got big just got very toned and lost 16kgs which probs explains my nerv injury i got in my wrist but still doesnt stop me as the pain stops if i keep working the muscles around it daily

So you got injured and didn't gain muscle. Something tells me you would be interested in changing your training. Just a hunch though.

• GhostX1994
    Options
    How much time does a body part need to rest before you should be fine working it again in gym? Because if its like 24 hours it needs to rest then could i like work on arms, chest, wrist one day and next do addominal, legs and back the next and repeat for good fast results?
  • GhostX1994
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

So you got injured and didn't gain muscle. Something tells me you would be interested in changing your training. Just a hunch though.

Well i did gain muscle just didnt get massive just got very toned to the point of it looked like i was tensing all the time when i wasnt and my arms and legs were very solid, hard to explain
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You've had multiple threads about wanting to gain muscle quickly. It would be best to forget the idea of fast muscle gain and instead focus on building muscle, period. No 60 day potato diets or 3-a-day training protocols or any other nonsense. If you are overweight, lose fat while lifting and eating intelligently. At a certain point you can decide to recomp or bulk. If you are already at a healthy weight, you can decide that now.
  • arditarose
    Options
    How much time does a body part need to rest before you should be fine working it again in gym? Because if its like 24 hours it needs to rest then could i like work on arms, chest, wrist one day and next do addominal, legs and back the next and repeat for good fast results?

For good fast results don't mess around with your own programming. Pick a STRUCTURED program with a progressive overload from the list in the thread above. Add weight, EAT in a calorie surplus. There are tons of podcasts and articles written by some of the best in the field that discuss how often and when you should train certain muscle groups. Do a little google search for people like: Eric Helms, Menno Henselmans, Lyle McDonald, Layne Norton, Alberto Nunez, Brad Schoenfeld...
  • ThatTJS
    ThatTJS Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Every body part, every day? Doesn't seem efficient to me. I mean there are ways to get a ridiculous amount of volume and frequency for each body part without training every muscle every single dang day. Where's the time for muscle recovery? It's needed for growth. If you personally like a lot of volume check out something like Layne Norton's PHAT program.

ArditaRose is spot on. I've highlighted this post as it is the opener to the information but glance at everything she has said and you shouldn't go wrong.

To add onto what has already been mentioned; there is no quick-fix. You may get some beginner gains which are great but really you want to be building muscle as a long term goal as it takes time.

Once you've found something you think works for you (and there are hundreds of free training programmes online you can nab) start to work on specific weaknesses (eg. Chest, calves etc).

Good luck and enjoy it.

(And make sure you're eating well to support the muscle growth!)
  • Flexin74
    Flexin74 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I can tell you what works for me. I wouldn't do every muscle group every day. Break it up. Give your muscles 48 hours to rest per muscle group worked except for abdominals. They cant be overtrained or so I hear and I train those more often.
    I have an endomorph body type. Easy fat gain, relatively easy muscle gain. These workouts typically take 1-1.5 hours.

What I do
    Day 1-Chest/Back
    Day 2-Biceps/Triceps/Shoulders/Abs
    Day 3-Legs
    Day 4-Chest/Back/Abs
    Day 5 Biceps/Triceps/Shoulders
    Weekends-Hiking or some type of cardio

Some people do legs more than 1 day per week. For faster muscle growth this may be your best bet with squats,deadlifts,lunges.

Tips for maximum muscle growth.
    Nutrition is the key with working out. Get your daily recommended Protein levels.
    Get rest. 7-8 hours sleep recommended for maximum muscle growth and recovery.
    Alcohol inhibits Fat metabolism and protein synthesis. Don't overdo alcohol.

Realize that the maximum muscle growth following these plans is high the first year or two then it is minimum after you reach a certain level on future growth.

Slow down your reps and work on time under tension. This means don't go too heavy on stuff like bicep curls,etc. Slow down your reps to 3-5 seconds per concentric and eccentric parts of the exercise. Time under tension will build your muscles more than pulling weights fast with mimimal time under tension and bad form.

This all takes time. Settle into a routine and be patient.

I am a work in progress but this is what works for me with my body type and from my research over time. Everyone is different so adjust as necessary.
  • GhostX1994
    Options
    Cheers guys, yeah i didnt relise my old posts were simar and i usually ask alot of questions with things.

Iv looked at that PHAT program and reckon ill give it a shot since its pretty much double of everything twice a week.

Yeah ill be taking supps called clear muscle again as i found it works well, but i might get protein powder to help with muscle gaining since my eating habbits are abit rough atm

Im gonna do some more research into all of this but thank you for the answers
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I can tell you what works for me. I wouldn't do every muscle group every day. Break it up. Give your muscles 48 hours to rest per muscle group worked except for abdominals. They cant be overtrained or so I hear and I train those more often.
    I have an endomorph body type. Easy fat gain, relatively easy muscle gain. These workouts typically take 1-1.5 hours.

What I do
    Day 1-Chest/Back
    Day 3-Legs
    Day 4-Chest/Back/Abs

Some people do legs more than 1 day per week. For faster muscle growth this may be your best bet with squats,deadlifts,lunges.

Nutrition is the key with working out. Get your daily recommended Protein levels.

Realize that the maximum muscle growth following these plans is high the first year or two then it is minimum after you reach a certain level on future growth.

Slow down your reps and work on time under tension. This means don't go too heavy on stuff like bicep curls,etc. Slow down your reps to 3-5 seconds per concentric and eccentric parts of the exercise. Time under tension will build your muscles more than pulling weights fast with mimimal time under tension and bad form.

I am a work in progress but this is what works for me with my body type and from my research over time. Everyone is different so adjust as necessary.

Good form is important. Artificially slowing down the tempo of the lift though, has a potential negative effect on total volume accumulation and it can also negatively impact performance.

I think a better recommendation is to just make sure you're exhibiting some control over the eccentric portion of the lift and maintaining safe technique.
  • honesty71108
    honesty71108 Posts: 50 Member
    Options

What I do
    Day 1-Chest/Back
    Day 3-Legs
    Day 4-Chest/Back/Abs

fantastic, thanks
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Regarding the original question:

Muscles respond to stimulus by adapting. Provide them with adequate stimulus and the resources to recover from that stimulus (calories, protein) and they adapt and grow.

The stimulus needs to gradually INCREASE in order to cause additional adaptations.

And so consequently, at SOME POINT you should be lifting heavier loads. Note that absolute load is not the only determinant of stimulus since you can also increase work done by other means (more reps, more sets, etc) but at some point you will need to also increase absolute load.

As far as what the BEST way is, I think that's the wrong question to ask for the majority of people. A better question to ask would be "what's a good way that I can consistently execute" and the answer to the latter question is going to involve lifestyle and personal preference factors that nobody here can answer for you.

If I were to make general recommendations:

1) You should be on a program that has some form of progressive overload built into it (it should get you stronger over time and the progression should be built in to the program rather than just some arbitary list of body-parts).
    2) You should train each muscle group at least 2 times per week. This might be an upper/lower split done 4/week, it might be a full body routine done 3/week, it might be a hybrid approach with a mix of full body and upper/lower days, it might be push/pull/legs routine done 6/week but I doubt it, it might be a body-part split done 6/week but I doubt it.
    3) You should not neglect entire body-parts like skipping legs or training legs at half the frequency of the other body parts.
    4) You should not hate the program you're on.

As far as adequate nutrition is concerned that's going to be a hot button issue of sorts but generally speaking I would make sure you're not in too big of an energy deficit and make sure you're getting adequate protein. 1g/lb BW is likely to be more than enough for the majority of the population and in some contexts going lower than that is fine too. I probably wouldn't go lower than 1g/lb LBM.

Consuming at least enough fat to meet EFA needs and at least enough carbohydrate to train with adequate intensity/effort. Once those conditions are met, tailor the remainder of your macronutrient intake and manage your calorie deficit to meet the best balance between adhering to your diet and getting sustainable results.
  • GhostX1994
    Options
    Yeah im gonna make a plan of exercises to do each day, each body part twice a week and have 2 rest days from all of it, but might get jogging into everyday for at least 30mins tho, would sit ups be fine to do daily or should keep it to twice a week like rest?

Yeah is there like a site or something to help show what foods i could pick to reach my goals? Or just do it the old fashioned way and research alot?