Calories don't count on weekends

Options
2»

Replies

• dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I do let myself go a bit on a Saturday, I had a burger with fries and some beer last night, also a peanut butter cup or 2. When I weigh on a Monday I am more or less the same weight but then I am in a big deficit all week so can afford to let go a bit on a Saturday.
  • grenachegirl
    grenachegirl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I really wish calories didn't count on the weekend but unfortunately it seems they do! I've been sticking to 1200 calories a day for exactly 12 weeks, in this time I've lost 33lbs. I absolutely attribute this to being consistent and not using the weekend as an excuse to binge or overeat, it's not been easy, I've had to rethink the habits of a lifetime and dig deep, I'm focusing on the end goal and I'm not going to let anything derail me, especially if it's just because the day of the week begins with an S.
    Good luck OP xx
  • Paulina1230
    Paulina1230 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Osiris275 wrote: »
    Calories always count sadly... :( I used to eat badly as the weekends, solved that by doing my weigh in on Monday mornings. Now I always have a really good weekend!

Me too. I always stop and think "is this cookie or icecream really worth it", when I know Im facing the dreaded scale monday morning. 9 times out of ten...its not worth it and my monday weigh ins are not dreaded so much anymore.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    weight loss is basically a mathematical equation.... if you eat more/too much on the weekends, it's not "free calories" - your are just adding back on what you worked to subtract earlier in the week. If your total calculation is still a deficit, you'll still lose.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Banking calories during the week and blowing my deficit during the week is the reason it took me 2 years to hit my goal weight...So it does matter. Just log these weekend splurges, but watch a weekly deficit rather than a daily one: keep you on track so you continue to see results

Is there a spot of MFP to view weekly deficit or do you just do the math?

It's easier to see in the app. get into the menu, then Click on "nutrition". You can select 'day' or 'week' view from there.
    bo14eer353dh.png
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Another point I noticed from your post was that you said the splurge was a bit of a reward for you recent loss - using food as a reward can be tricky so just be aware and maybe try for some non food treats.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    You really could wipe out the weeks deficit by mindless weekend eating.
    If you want to do this then you will have to increase the calorie deficit during the week. You'd still have to be calorie aware at the weekend even doing that.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    What I like to do is eat more in my calorie goals during the week so that Friday I can enjoy sugar and cream in my oatmeal, Saturday enjoy a splurge at dinner with my bf. Sundays vary. I still try and count what I ate on the weekend though because its good to know where youre at. You shouldn't feel guilty though/try not to feel guilty. Youre a human being, you want to enjoy the food/things around you. Maybe the next time though try to have maybe 1-2 or 3 of the things that you usually like to eat that in big portions have a ton of calories in it, and just make smaller versions of it. That way you get to enjoy what you really like to eat, but not put yourself over.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I am one who plans my week to have more indulgent weekends, that's just naturally when more social events fall and I like having a buffer to work with. I usually bank 100-200 cals during the week to give me an extra 500-1000 for dinners out, family bbqs, things like that.

But I definitely agree with the advice to log everything including the days you are over your goal. Understanding how that impacts your weekly deficit, as well as the outcome on the scale (short term as well as long term) is a big lesson toward developing a sustainable approach.
  • kanaada
    kanaada Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the messages and I understand from all of you that indeed I should be more mindful when it comes to mindless eating on the weekends!! Thanks for all the advices
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    kanaada wrote: »
    Hi guys so this weekend I ended up eating everything that I liked and felt really really guilty ☹️ I probably ate around 2500 calories on sat and mid sun I already ate 1200 calories. So what do y'all guys think about eating mindlessly on weekends? This Saturday I just weigh in and found out that the scale finally moved after weeks so I guess it's a form of rewarding myself but still felt rather guilty about it. Would appreciate if u guys share ur experiences with me

It's all about willpower. Today (Sunday) was my best day in the past 5 weeks, even though I wasn't eating in my own home. It just takes the will to say NO to stuff that doesn't help your program.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the messages and I understand from all of you that indeed I should be more mindful when it comes to mindless eating on the weekends!! Thanks for all the advices

Yes indeedy, or else you may find that you're just spinning your wheels and not really getting anywhere. Maybe try a "cheat meal", not day(s), per weekend, while still keeping track of your calories. This way you'll still have something to look forward to without annihilating your weekly deficit.
  • lexylondon
    lexylondon Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My sisters coming over tomorrow so we will be having lots of pastry! Prob be my whole days calories so will have to make up for it by going harder at the gym and eating less over the next few days... But boy am I looking forward to a chocolate pastry or 4...
  • cwang125
    cwang125 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You see, the reason why most people don't reach their objectives is because of things like this.
    Most will go on a reasonable deficit of 500 calories a day.
    So 3500 a week.
    They adhere to this for five days and then basically undo everything by binging on the weekend.

Because in five days you're at a 2500 calorie deficit, but if you really are overdoing it on Saturday/Sunday you could easily eat 1250 over maintenance on each day making it so nothing was accomplished for the whole week.

THIS. ^

It matters. Every day. If you plan to eat more on weekends because of social life etc, better to plan it out ahead of time. Either maintain the deficit throughout the entire week or only hit maintenance on weekends for a slower weightloss progression.

Btw, alcohol consumption is inhibitive on lipolysis. Every time you take a drink, especially if it's beer which typically has high carbohydrate content which in turn spikes insulin which inhibits lipolysis.

If you're serious about maintaining the weight loss, track every day and make sure the tracking is accurate.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10539756
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26278391
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    If calories didn't count on weekends, I'd be 120lbs and 5'11.

You really have to plan during the week if you want to indulge on the weekends.

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Hi guys so this weekend I ended up eating everything that I liked and felt really really guilty ☹️ I probably ate around 2500 calories on sat and mid sun I already ate 1200 calories. So what do y'all guys think about eating mindlessly on weekends? This Saturday I just weigh in and found out that the scale finally moved after weeks so I guess it's a form of rewarding myself but still felt rather guilty about it. Would appreciate if u guys share ur experiences with me

When is doing ANYTHING mindlessly a good idea? It isn't! Go over a little? Sure, once in a while won't hurt. BUT to know you that are going over by only a little implies mindfully paying attention to what you are doing.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    No way. Eating mindlessly on the weekends is what has kept me at the same weight for sooo long... I was undoing any hard work I'd done during the week. I am not as strict on the weekend, but I still am mindful of what I'm eating.