What's the Best way to lose the Pooch?

Options
I'm 35, don't have kids, am 5'8" and 196.5lbs. Weight has always been an issue for me and I typically carry it in my stomach, hips and thighs. What are the best exercises to slim the pooch that I can't seem to get rid of?

Replies

• thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. All you can do is lose weight and tone up.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,088 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    There isn't a way to target fat loss to a particular area. Your body will lose based on your genetic shape. Lose weight and the fat will leave everywhere - if you carry it in your tummy and hips, that will be the last place it will leave - but proportionately.

Ya. I know.
  • jalisa3080
    jalisa3080 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    There isn't a way to target fat loss to a particular area. Your body will lose based on your genetic shape. Lose weight and the fat will leave everywhere - if you carry it in your tummy and hips, that will be the last place it will leave - but proportionately.

Ya. I know.

Thanks for the feedback...I was hoping for a nicer answer but I appreciate the truth!!!
  • jalisa3080
    Options

Thanks!!! Guess I'll keep doing what I'm doing...I was hoping for some miracle exercise I hadn't heard of yet, lol.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I had roughly 30 lbs to lose when I was heavier, and carried it all in my stomach - also don't have kids. When I lost the weight my stomach firmed right back up. I ended up losing past my initial "goal", and now it's flat in the mornings before I eat. I wasn't certain if you were concerned about loose skin or what not so I figured I would share. I was about your age when I lost the weight. Good luck on your journey!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Just keep losing fat. For many people stomach fat is the last to go. And by last I mean it can come down to the last 5 lbs. It's possible you may need to get leaner than your ultimate goal, which means at a certain point you'll be deciding if it's worth the effort. Only you can make that call.
  • jalisa3080
    Options
    I had roughly 30 lbs to lose when I was heavier, and carried it all in my stomach - also don't have kids. When I lost the weight my stomach firmed right back up. I ended up losing past my initial "goal", and now it's flat in the mornings before I eat. I wasn't certain if you were concerned about loose skin or what not so I figured I would share. I was about your age when I lost the weight. Good luck on your journey!

Thanks for sharing your story! I don't have loose skin but just a lot of extra fat in my lower stomach. I lost weight before so I know it's possible and feedback like this makes it that much easier! Thanks again and Congrats on your weight loss!
  • jalisa3080
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Just keep losing fat. For many people stomach fat is the last to go. And by last I mean it can come down to the last 5 lbs. It's possible you may need to get leaner than your ultimate goal, which means at a certain point you'll be deciding if it's worth the effort. Only you can make that call.

I appreciate this feedback. I'm trying to set my expect ions appropriately so this is super helpful!!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jalisa3080 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »

I appreciate this feedback. I'm trying to set my expect ions appropriately so this is super helpful!!

Happy to help. I had no idea how literal "last to go" meant when I started out so I try to tell people that. I'm within my healthy range (148 @ 5'5.5") but still have a good amount of stomach fat, despite being very lean elsewhere. I have stretched skin as a complicating factor but still lose fat in places I never imagined (e.g., neck) more than my stomach.
  • cglouie
    cglouie Posts: 33 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'm 5'8" , no kids and started at 195 lbs so about where you are. A year later, I'm down to 136 lbs with 5-10 lbs before I start maintaining. Frustratingly, it's just now that the fat is coming off the belly and I can visibly tell that it's getting flatter. Of course, it's been shrinking since the start as I went from a size 14 to almost a 4 now but it's been round and ample up until recently. Just keep losing the fat and it will eventually come off. Good luck!
  • jalisa3080
    Options
    Thank you for this feedback and encouragement
  • BellaSOUL11
    BellaSOUL11 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    That damn pooch!