Drink half your weight in ounces.

I was told to drink half my weight in ounces. Now I'm close to 400 pounds and I looked it up that's 5.915 liters of water now I'm no nutritionist but I think that's a bit over the top.

I read the pee color and I need to drink over 3 liters a day to make the colors they say your pee should be.

Should I drink half my weight, just keep drinking a bit over 3 liters or is both amounts way over the top.

Thx

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Eh. Just be sure you're hydrated and don't worry so much about the numbers.
  • bigmangettingsmall
    bigmangettingsmall Posts: 34 Member
    Wow..I think I'd focus on losing some weight so you don't have to drink so much! Seriously, I don't think H2O quantity is so much dependent on your body weight but more on your activity/perspiration level. I weigh 139lbs and I'm drinking 2gal/day right now. I would try a gallon for a little while and see how you feel.

May I ask why you drink 8 liters a day. Thanks
  • Kobz27
    Kobz27 Posts: 64 Member
    Wow..I think I'd focus on losing some weight so you don't have to drink so much! Seriously, I don't think H2O quantity is so much dependent on your body weight but more on your activity/perspiration level. I weigh 139lbs and I'm drinking 2gal/day right now. I would try a gallon for a little while and see how you feel.

Yeah I would ask the same thing. You can do what you want but I've been hearing that when a person drinks tons of water they are just flushing out a lot of their electrolytes. Now I know there is a life hack where if you drink 1 gallon of ice cold water it will burn 300 calories because your body has to rise that to the temperature of your body which takes energy. So if you're drinking 2 gallons for that purpose I see where you're coming from.
  • Kristinapedia
    Kristinapedia Posts: 73 Member
    Kobz27 wrote: »

Yeah I would ask the same thing. You can do what you want but I've been hearing that when a person drinks tons of water they are just flushing out a lot of their electrolytes. Now I know there is a life hack where if you drink 1 gallon of ice cold water it will burn 300 calories because your body has to rise that to the temperature of your body which takes energy. So if you're drinking 2 gallons for that purpose I see where you're coming from.

If I did that I'd just have a massive migraine.

And that would have to be drank/drunk/drinked over the course of the day. Drinking even a gallon at once will cause water toxicity.
    Which can result in death.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

And that would have to be drank/drunk/drinked over the course of the day. Drinking even a gallon at once will cause water toxicity.

Yep, if I drink too much water i feel like crap! Headaches and nausea.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited June 2016
    Drink the 8 cups a day that MFP recommends. That is a good amount for most people.
  • Kobz27

Yeah it's not for me, but My mom does this, but she does it in 1/2 gallons at a time. I also met a guy In Florida that does it everyday and he does drink it all at one time. They're still alive. I just mentioned it because it is a thing people do. Other than that I wouldn't know why someone would drink 2 gallons a day, unless they work out a ton or work in dessert climate. But to each their own
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,282 Member

I call shenanigans.

There's a thread somewhere on this site from years ago where some scientists worked all this out, and the calories used were negligible - like less than 10 if I recall correctly.

:lol: at the 300 calories.

Just no.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited June 2016
    Your pee should not be dark yellowish brownish. It can be yellow. Should not be cloudy.
    As long as you can read a "pretend newspaper" at the bottom, you are a-ok.
    Foods high in vitamin B2 can make urine bright yellow.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member

I'm doing a bodybuilder's pre-contest trick where you manipulate water/sodium/carbs for 2 weeks to flush all the subcutaneous water from between the muscles and skin to achieve that dry, hard look. It's perfectly safe if you know how to do it and do it right and I do, been doing it for several years and it works. Why do I do it you ask? I enjoy it as I enjoy many bizarre things.
  • Christine_72
    Your pee should not be dark yellowish brownish. It can be yellow. Should not be cloudy.
    As long as you can read a "pretend newspaper" at the bottom, you are a-ok.
    Foods high in vitamin B2 can make urine bright yellow.

This and make sure you don't use blue loo :smiley:

• DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member

Why do I do it you ask? I enjoy it as I enjoy many bizarre things.

I'd bet that you have a fetlife account!
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member

I call shenanigans.

There's a thread somewhere on this site from years ago where some scientists worked all this out, and the calories used were negligible - like less than 10 if I recall correctly.

Just no.

1 gallon is about 3.8 liters which weighs about 3.8 kilograms.
    1 food calorie is 1 kilocalorie which is the amount of energy needed to raise 1 kg of water by 1 degree celsius.
    If you're raising 3.8 kilograms of water by about 37 degrees celsius, you'll burn about 140 (food) calories.

On the other hand, that doesn't mean your body burns an extra 140 calories. Your body can also compensate for the cool liquid by shedding less heat into the environment - for example, by sweating less, if it's hot out, or by reducing blood flow to the skin and increasing blood flow through the body's core.

If your body was already very cold and burning extra calories just to warm itself, you probably legitimately would burn an extra 140 calories if you drank all that water. But if your body is very warm and struggling to lose heat, it may burn no additional calories at all.
  • Kobz27

I call shenanigans.

Just no.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/305274-does-10-glasses-of-ice-water-burn-300-calories/

You're right. I never actually looked it up before. Didn't question it since I wasn't interested in doing it lol
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member

Ha ha...very funny...didn't know what that was so I looked it up..uh no, not into that.

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,282 Member
    rankinsect wrote: »

I call shenanigans.

Just no.

1 food calorie is 1 kilocalorie which is the amount of energy needed to raise 1 kg of water by 1 degree celsius.
    If you're raising 3.8 kilograms of water by about 37 degrees celsius, you'll burn about 140 (food) calories.

On the other hand, that doesn't mean your body burns an extra 140 calories. Your body can also compensate for the cool liquid by shedding less heat into the environment - for example, by sweating less, if it's hot out, or by reducing blood flow to the skin and increasing blood flow through the body's core.

If your body was already very cold and burning extra calories just to warm itself, you probably legitimately would burn an extra 140 calories if you drank all that water. But if your body is very warm and struggling to lose heat, it may burn no additional calories at all.

..and you're only heating it from whatever the temperature of the ice water is to 98*F. (37*C) so - you aren't actually raising it a full 37*C, it was probably at higher than 0*C to start, right? There are so many nerdly forum threads about all this on the internet - I could read for hours. Dun really care that much.

I just know 300 calories is no.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited June 2016
    rankinsect wrote: »

I call shenanigans.

Just no.

..and you're only heating it from whatever the temperature of the ice water is to 98*F. (37*C) so - you aren't actually raising it a full 37*C, it was probably at higher than 0*C to start, right? There are so many nerdly forum threads about all this on the internet - I could read for hours. Dun really care that much.

I just know 300 calories is no.

Ice water in thermal equilibrium would always be 0C until all the ice had melted.

Anyhow, I think we both agree the effect is negligible - a gallon of water per day is a large amount to drink, and physiology is likely to mean you burn fewer calories than physics dictates, because heat loss to the environment can alter in response to body temperature changes.
  • Christine_72

Ha ha...very funny...didn't know what that was so I looked it up..uh no, not into that.

I had to google it too.. Good Lord :laugh:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Waterlogged by Timothy Noakes is an interest book on this topic.

TL;DR - there is no one size fits all formula for water consumption. Drink when thirsty.