Tips for first big solo car ride

Options
MayaSPapaya
MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
I'm driving from New York to Maine on my own for the first time next Saturday. I'm leaving early in the morning for both trips, in hopes of avoiding traffic, but I get nervous with new drives, especially on highways. Any tips to give me more confidence?

Replies

• 285to170
    285to170 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of cranky fast drivers in my neck of the woods. If you run into any don't let them stress you and just maintain your normal speed, don't speed up for them.

I always stay on the right lane because I'm a "slow" driver (I cruise on the legal speed limit).

Music makes it more fun and makes the time fly by.

Basically just drive normal and relax. It can be quite relaxing in my opinion.
  • lina1016
    lina1016 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous poster ^^

Listen to different music. Music that'll keep you awake and when I listen to music it makes me block out some idiots on the road lol. Stay either on the right or middle lane. I prefer the middle because sometimes the right allows oncoming traffic. Stay focused and just relax. Hope you have a safe trip!!
  • JKI19
    JKI19 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    ALWAYS be a defensive driver. If someone is driving erratically or seems to be pissed off/speeding, slow down and take another lane. It's the little precautions that can be life saving!

Download some podcasts and have them play on a playlist while you drive! As tempting as it can be, avoid checking your phone on long trips, people drive crazy and the wildlife can be even crazier, a split second with your eyes off the road and you can end up with a deer stuck in the grill.

Enjoy some fast-food. ;) One of the greatest joys in life is eating/drinking (non-alcoholic lol) while cruising into the unknown. Just keep track of your cals haha.

Have fun!
  • chaney3000
    chaney3000 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Ok some great advice given in here from these guys and ladies.

I have made solo trips of 10 hrs plus. So here is my tips.

1. Make sure your ride is serviced before you go. Never want to be stranded in boondocks nowhere cause of a mechanical problem. I usually rent a car so that's done for me.
    2. Dress comfortable for the trip. I usually rock some sweats, t-shirt and sneakers. And I suggest you wear sneakers instead of sandals.
    3. Always check the weather and road conditions via the news before you leave. Road construction and storms can really suck if they suprise you. I usually look online the night before or morning of my trip.
    4. Depending on how far you have to go, I always bring some snacks and waters with me. A small cooler with water and/or Gatorade and a bag of trail mix, energy bars, gum and etc... make up my go kit.
    5. And like they mentioned, get your ride music straight before you go. What I normally do is have my phone clipped into a mount so it acts as my Navi and music center for the trip. Pandora, sat radio or just my library on random in my ride Playlist. Bonus, if you have your destination entered, it will paste the music when the Navi speaks and it plays through the in car audio so you don't miss any turns or exits.
    6. And also like they mentioned, just get out there and drive your normal. If your a speed demon (I'm guilty), get out there and get it. Make sure you have your radar set though! If you are a slower cruise type, just get out there and stay in the middle and right lane.
    7. Finally, just make sure you prep for the trip well and have fun. Charge up cell phones, Bluetooth devices, put sunglasses in car, get your snacks ready, drinks ready, gas up the day before, bags packed and by the door. You can eat before you go or grab something before you hit the hwy. And have a good time.
  • kledmons
    kledmons Posts: 46 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Travel RN here...I have driven multiple times across this country coast to coast for the last 21 years all by myself (in fact I just got back from a trip to Cambodia that I went on by myself)...This is all great advice. I never let my gas tank get below 1/4 tank before filling up. I always fill up at the busier exits...dont pick the exits that only have 1 or 2 gas stations at them in the middle of no where. When you do get out of your car lock it. If you stop to eat I always lifted the hood of my car to cool the engine faster but always parked my car in front of the place and sat where I could keep an eye on it. As for things to listen to...I loved listening to comedy routines, my favorite music or books on tape. Enjoy your road trip...best times ever!!!
  • chaney3000
    chaney3000 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Yes, always gas up at busy exits and preferably in the suburban areas. No back wood or inner city exits if you can help it. And always keep the tank above 1/2 or 1/4 at the lowest.
  • Tsartele
    Tsartele Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Bring a GPS, Relax, enjoy the ride.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, if you're a nervous/slow driver, pleeeeeease do not drive in the fast lane!!!

Outside of that, everyone else has already given awesome tips :)
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    If you feel tired or sleepy stop at the next rest area or busy interchange and get some caffeine. Then get moving by walking or jogging around the parking area. It doesn't take much to reset your sleep timer.
  • lenoresdream
    lenoresdream Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    chaney3000 wrote: »
    Ok some great advice given in here from these guys and ladies.

I have made solo trips of 10 hrs plus. So here is my tips.

1. Make sure your ride is serviced before you go. Never want to be stranded in boondocks nowhere cause of a mechanical problem. I usually rent a car so that's done for me.
    2. Dress comfortable for the trip. I usually rock some sweats, t-shirt and sneakers. And I suggest you wear sneakers instead of sandals.
    3. Always check the weather and road conditions via the news before you leave. Road construction and storms can really suck if they suprise you. I usually look online the night before or morning of my trip.
    4. Depending on how far you have to go, I always bring some snacks and waters with me. A small cooler with water and/or Gatorade and a bag of trail mix, energy bars, gum and etc... make up my go kit.
    5. And like they mentioned, get your ride music straight before you go. What I normally do is have my phone clipped into a mount so it acts as my Navi and music center for the trip. Pandora, sat radio or just my library on random in my ride Playlist. Bonus, if you have your destination entered, it will paste the music when the Navi speaks and it plays through the in car audio so you don't miss any turns or exits.
    6. And also like they mentioned, just get out there and drive your normal. If your a speed demon (I'm guilty), get out there and get it. Make sure you have your radar set though! If you are a slower cruise type, just get out there and stay in the middle and right lane.
    7. Finally, just make sure you prep for the trip well and have fun. Charge up cell phones, Bluetooth devices, put sunglasses in car, get your snacks ready, drinks ready, gas up the day before, bags packed and by the door. You can eat before you go or grab something before you hit the hwy. And have a good time.

^^ all of this!

• kledmons
    kledmons Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    chaney3000 wrote: »
    Yes, always gas up at busy exits and preferably in the suburban areas. No back wood or inner city exits if you can help it. And always keep the tank above 1/2 or 1/4 at the lowest.

Good call... I got off on the wrong exit in Washington, D.C. Traveling from Florida to NY once at 1am and almost out of gas. A cop pulled up to me at the gas station told me to get back in the car and he pumped my gas and followed me all the way back onto the interstate. Lesson learned there. I was young then... Learned a lot since then about traveling on my own.
  • PBWaffleCakes
    PBWaffleCakes Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Take it slow dont be in a hurry. Have a plan set up. Where to gas, when to check in.
  • TehLaughingDog
    TehLaughingDog Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Driven 8hours before alone. It's not bad and easier than people make it out to be. It's really easy.

Get the car checked out before you go.

Have a car phone charger or have your phone fully charged. I use mine as back up GPS if there is a road closed I was planning on using.

Stock up on music. Podcasts. Books on tape. Whatever.

Grab snacks if you want them. I always have water and one caffeinated drink incase I get sleepy.

And when you're driving to avoid tunnel vision if you're on long country stretches just look around during your drive. Watch for deer and other beasties. If you drive at night look for eyeshine.

Oh and avoid semis if you can. If someone's driving wonky (often they're semis in my experience) watch them and avoid. If you need to call the police with your mile marker and their license plate. I've had to do that a couple times from drunk drivers almost taking out other cars or people falling asleep on the road.
  • Cindy4FunFit
    Cindy4FunFit Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    wz5ahi4b5xqc.jpeg
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! You were all really helpful. I know I can do it, I just get nervous.
  • girl_inflames
    girl_inflames Posts: 375 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'm driving from New York to Maine on my own for the first time next Saturday. I'm leaving early in the morning for both trips, in hopes of avoiding traffic, but I get nervous with new drives, especially on highways. Any tips to give me more confidence?
    Road trips are super fun by yourself! Just make sure to have your phone charged for Google Maps, have some good music and something to drink and enjoy! highways are the easiest. You literally go 70 until you get to your destination (or ...90 in my case). Just be careful when you get off the highway for speed limits, those always catch me up
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    I thought this thread was a euphemism for something else. God I need to get laid.