Smokers

Options
2»

Replies

• healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I smoked and trained for a half marathon and finished it! So being fit and being able to do large loads or cardio while smoking is doable.

I vape now some during the day, not much. I still run 4 days a week and lift 5 days.

Wow thats awesome ! When did you quit?
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    evesmom2 wrote: »
    I smoke, do some cardio on a bike and lost 37 lbs since April. I'm looking into vaping but I promised myself I would quit smoking when I get to goal. I can't do both at once

Hi other Eve's mom ;)

I wasn't joking about the book. Quitting isn't hard, it isn't painful, you smoke while you read the book and when you're done, you don't smoke anymore. It's shockingly simple and effective.

I own that book. Read it many times. Still smoking :(. I'm sure it works for some people, I'm just not one of them (maybe because I already knew and believed most of what he says in there).

OP - you can lose weight while smoking (heck, it gives you a metabolic advantage and decreases appetite - it is a stimulant). I went from 195lbs to 145lbs as a smoker. You can still do cardio (you'll get winded faster and at a lower intensity than a non smoker, but you'll see improvement over time). The best thing to do would be to quit, obviously, but you can make improvements to diet and exercise even as a smoker. If you aren't ready/able to quit just yet, you can still lose weight!

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    evesmom2 wrote: »
    I smoke, do some cardio on a bike and lost 37 lbs since April. I'm looking into vaping but I promised myself I would quit smoking when I get to goal. I can't do both at once

Hi other Eve's mom ;)

I wasn't joking about the book. Quitting isn't hard, it isn't painful, you smoke while you read the book and when you're done, you don't smoke anymore. It's shockingly simple and effective.

I own that book. Read it many times. Still smoking :(. I'm sure it works for some people, I'm just not one of them (maybe because I already knew and believed most of what he says in there).

OP - you can lose weight while smoking (heck, it gives you a metabolic advantage and decreases appetite - it is a stimulant). I went from 195lbs to 145lbs as a smoker. You can still do cardio (you'll get winded faster and at a lower intensity than a non smoker, but you'll see improvement over time). The best thing to do would be to quit, obviously, but you can make improvements to diet and exercise even as a smoker. If you aren't ready/able to quit just yet, you can still lose weight!

agreed I lost my weight smoking...only quit for fitness reasons...nice thing was I didn't put any back on from quitting...I credit MFP and the daily logging of my food during maintenance with that and my vape of course....
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 22 years. It's probably one of the biggest contributing factors to the fact that I didn't exercise much at all for those 22 years and ended up severely overweight. I quit using e-cigarettes. After being on c-cigs for a year or so I could breathe 10x easier. After quitting e-cigs about 1.5 years ago I can say I noticed no real difference in my lung capacity, but I had already been on them for almost 3 years and I think my lungs had already recovered because of it (I noticed a huge difference in lung capacity within six months of changing to e-cigs). I only quit e-cigs because exercise became more important to me than being chained down to nicotine so I lost interest.

Nicotine also constricts blood vessels which is counter intuitive for your body when you want increased blood flow during exercise. If you are still smoking and have adopted an exercise routine for your diet journey, it's a great time to quit. Find whatever works for you and quit soon. That way the cravings won't drive you to over-eat as much since you are already dieting. If the cravings get to you simply exercise more to get through it. In this way you can avoid weight gain from quitting, and increase your natural levels of endorphin from exercising which can help to negate the cravings. Just a suggestion.

I don't know about anyone else, but after a really intense workout I feel great for hours afterward. I may be tired but it's almost euphoric. During these times I wouldn't even want to pick up an e-ciig so that's why I eventually forgot all about them.
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'm currently a smoker and I don't have any problems with cardio. I started at 185 and I'm 158 now. I'm sure cardio would be easier if I didn't smoke, but I haven't been able to have much luck with a vaporizer. It burns my throat when I use it, which is worse than smoking a traditional cigarette. I've played with the nicotine levels. The last bottle of liquid I bought was 12mg nicotine and it was still rather harsh. I was told that the higher nicotine strengths can burn more. Not sure if it was the flavor or not, since it was Sweet Tart equivalent. I might try and go down to the next lowest nicotine % (which is the lowest until you get zero nicotine) and see if it's any better. I've also used two different vaporizers with the same result.

I buy 2 bottles of liquid - one is 0mg and the second is 12mg. I mix it to my preference - it probably ends up being around 6 mg. it doesn't cost any more over the long run and I can adjust as I want. Some days I'm probably 2mg.

I fill the ecig tank with the 0mg first and just top off a little with the 12mg.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if vaping reduces lung capacity? I've read conflicting reports on the Google. I know you're not inhaling all the smoke and chemicals like from a cigarette, but our lungs are still dealing with a foreign substance. Mine hardly ever leaves my hand, I puff on it too much!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I do not believe it does. I had a doctor monitor my oxygen level one time before and after taking a drag from an e-cig and there was no difference. I noticed increased lung capacity (much much more) within six months after switching from cigarettes to e-cigs. I smoked for 22 years and tried everything to quit, then one day I picked up a menthol e-cig and within one week never touched another cigarette. Vaping was my miracle stop smoking aid. Only thing I can tell you is that if e-cigs seem like they are going to work for you, do it now, the FDA is trying to ban them as quick as they can because it takes money out of the cigarette company pockets and puts it into small businesses. It makes no sense since it's something like 99% less harmful to the user and even the public around them, but that's our government for you. The FDA is now being sued for attempting the ban, but you won't have a choice soon to try e-cigs if you don't try now. Just do your own research, don't listen to the propaganda being spewed by anti-vaping entities. Vaping saved my life and was 10000x easier to quit than smoking when I finally decided I wanted to quit all together.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Yeah the government here in Australia are talking about banning vapourisers under the guise of " we don't know enough about them or if they are doing harm", pppffft what a load of crap!! We already have to order our nicotine from OS because it is not available here, it could even be banned for production in Aus, but not too sure on that one..
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Yeah the government here in Australia are talking about banning vapourisers under the guise of " we don't know enough about them or if they are doing harm", pppffft what a load of crap!! We already have to order our nicotine from OS because it is not available here, it could even be banned for production in Aus, but not too sure on that one..

To be fair, tobacco is a water-intensive crop. Geographic considerations may figure heavily in the lack of domestic tobacco farming.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if vaping reduces lung capacity? I've read conflicting reports on the Google. I know you're not inhaling all the smoke and chemicals like from a cigarette, but our lungs are still dealing with a foreign substance. Mine hardly ever leaves my hand, I puff on it too much!

In my experience, no. I was a 2-3 PAD smoker and quit using the e-cig. I eventually quit the e-cig as well and didn't really notice a difference in my lung capacity. I am back on the e-cig now after two years of being everything free because I had a bit of a melt down last fall and almost started smoking cigs again...figure lesser of two evils and I haven't noticed any diminished lung capacity either.