Any suggestions

Options
im having a major surgery next Friday no exercise for 4 weeks any suggestions how to not put on weight while I'm down

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    All you have to do to maintain weight is eat the same number of calories you burn. Unfortunately, during convalescence, it won't be as many as when you are able to exercise.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Check with the doctor. Most times, you need to eat at maintenance or a little above because your body uses calories for healing.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Just eat at sedentary maintenance. Probably up your protein for healing.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Along with what others have suggested (talking to doctor, eating at maintenance) make sure to hit your protein goals, or even a bit higher - some studies have shown a correlation between increaed protein intake and faster recovery from surgery (which makes sense - your body will have some rebuilding to do), not to mention protein is often more satiating than other macros and will help you feel less hungry on less food. Hope everything goes well!
  • rennickm1986
    rennickm1986 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Let's look at this logically. You're dieting and losing weight for...your health. You just said you are going through major surgery, which I assume will strongly benefit your health. Do whatever will support that surgery and your recovery, especially as your body goes into overdrive to heal. Eating at maintenance or above (healthily) is probably your best bet and with lots of rest.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Let's look at this logically. You're dieting and losing weight for...your health. You just said you are going through major surgery, which I assume will strongly benefit your health. Do whatever will support that surgery and your recovery, especially as your body goes into overdrive to heal. Eating at maintenance or above (healthily) is probably your best bet and with lots of rest.

I totally agree with this post the most important thing is to recover from the surgery. I don't know what kind of surgery you're having but last year I had a double hip replacement while I was in the hospital all the meds I took really suppress my appetite and I lost weight. Remember this is a long-term Journey it doesn't matter if you gain weight during your recovery you have to let your body heal properly.