1800 calorie diet

Options
Any good ideas on how to eat this much food or close too it?
I can't even reach the 1000 calorie intake limit daily. I am having lots of fruit, vegetables, yougarts
also salads for lunch, I have had egg salad on occations. Grilled chicken, steak for dinner. I have cut off fast foods totally and am drinking tons of water.
I am not feeling hungry and seems like I am eating more food than I use to do. I feel like I am over eating with this my food.
Any ideas would help.

Replies

• ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Do you have a food scale you are using to weigh your food?
    Are you counting your fruits and veggies? My husband just asked me why I log those, as they don't count just last night which is why I ask.
    Without knowing anything about you, I'm guessing you're probably miss calculating your intake and eating well over 1,000, and may be near your 1800 mark.

If you are already weighing solids and measuring liquids, and you truly are having a hard time hitting the 1800 calorie mark, start being generous with the healthy oils and condiments. That's what I did when I found out I was pregnant and at first I was having a hard time hitting my calorie goal. It gets easier. I switched to full fat dairy, which made a difference for me too.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you are confident that you aren't underestimating your intake (that is, if you're using a scale to measure food and have double-checked your database entries for accuracy), then focus on adding calories through non-filling foods -- things like oils, nuts/nut butters, a glass of wine, some chocolate -- these things are easy to consume, won't make you feel stuffed, and tend to be calorie-dense.
  • cinnag4225
    cinnag4225 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    jamisondi wrote: »
    Any good ideas on how to eat this much food or close too it?
    I can't even reach the 1000 calorie intake limit daily. I am having lots of fruit, vegetables, yougarts
    also salads for lunch, I have had egg salad on occations. Grilled chicken, steak for dinner. I have cut off fast foods totally and am drinking tons of water.
    I am not feeling hungry and seems like I am eating more food than I use to do. I feel like I am over eating with this my food.
    Any ideas would help.

Add calorie-rich produce like avocado if you want to keep to the "right" stuff. There are also protein powders and etc., which should give you the boost you need. For me, my calorie intake is supposed to be about 1860, but I have trouble reaching it, so I add treats like one chocolate bar a day or I have an extra meat or dressing serving. Another option, add juice (limited or no sugar added is best) to your diet.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    You don't HAVE to eat all plain salad and chicken breast to lose weight. Having enough fats is important. You could eat some fast food now or then, if that helps.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter
  • jamisondi
    jamisondi Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone I will try this. It just seems like i'm over eating... I am so full, LOL
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I personally fill my void with ice cream and peanut butter: neither of which I find filling. :)
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Is your aim to lose weight? Gain weight? What is happening while you are eating at your current intake?

If you are gaining or maintaining that would seem to indicate your figures are off and you may need to be more vigilant with your measuring.

If you are losing too fast, you may need to add in some of the high energy snacks as mentioned. Add some protein to your salads perhaps (I like diced chicken or some cheese) maybe with a rich dressing.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I eat about 1800 calories daily. I eat breakfast, lunch, dinner, with snacks in between and dessert. It is not that difficult to do. If, at the end of the day I do not want anymore food and I am below 1800, i do not worry about it. If that does happen I am probably still between 1500-1700 calories
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Some good ideas here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1

OP are you trying to lose weight? What is your rate of loss set at? How much are you trying to lose? What is your activity level like? Is this including your exercise calories?

• jamisondi
    Options
    So I am trying to lose 10 pounds at a time,being set for 5-6 weeks at a time. I am trying this so I am not discouraged. I have been doing this for 11 days now and have not weighted myself until I return to my Dr.'s appointment to see if there has been progress. I am not hungry at all. So question being if I am at 1100 - 1200 is that still okay? I am over full with what I am eating. I am walking about 15-20 minutes a day. that's all the time I can get in for it. So busy and work late, don't want to walk by myself at night.
    thoughts???
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Would you be willing to open your diary? It is highly unlikely you are full eating 1100 calories a day.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    So I am trying to lose 10 pounds at a time,being set for 5-6 weeks at a time. I am trying this so I am not discouraged. I have been doing this for 11 days now and have not weighted myself until I return to my Dr.'s appointment to see if there has been progress. I am not hungry at all. So question being if I am at 1100 - 1200 is that still okay? I am over full with what I am eating. I am walking about 15-20 minutes a day. that's all the time I can get in for it. So busy and work late, don't want to walk by myself at night.
    thoughts???

There's no way to know if 1100-1200 is "ok" for you without a LOT more information. Age, gender, height, current weight, activity level besides the 15-20 minutes of walking. I do see from your profile that you're female and (no offense, just being factual) a little older, and those are two groups that can sort of "get away" with a lower calorie intake. If you're also relatively sedentary and you're getting enough protein, fats, and micro-nutrients, and you don't feel like your well being or energy are suffering, then 1200 may work for you, at least for now. Or maybe not. Everyone is different.

You say that you're seeing a doctor who is going to monitor your progress, so I would really really urge you to do 2 things:

First, ask your doctor for a referral to a registered dietitian (NOT nutritionist). S/he can help you find the right calorie range for you and give you some ideas of the best ways to reach it.

Second, you never mentioned if you weigh and measure all of your foods even though a few people asked. I'm not at all trying to suggest that you're lying, but it's both REALLY hard to get over-full on only 1,000 calories per day (particularly for several days in a row), no matter how much of it is lean protein and vegetables, as well as REALLY easy to underestimate how much you're eating if you're not carefully weighing and measuring every single thing. Weighing and measuring is one of the absolute best things someone trying to monitor their calorie intake can do, especially when they're just starting out. I highly recommend a food scale for ALL solids and measuring cups/spoons for ALL liquids.
  • jamisondi
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Would you be willing to open your diary? It is highly unlikely you are full eating 1100 calories a day.

how would i do this, i am so new to all of this.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    what's your average grams of fat per day?

Fats are tremendously important for general health. Without them, hair loss, hormone disruption, and all kinds of awful things can start to happen.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Easy - nuts, cheese, butter, coconut & olive oils, full fat dairy, no "diet" anything - I lose eating 1800-2000 a day, and I have no trouble reaching my goal.
  • jamisondi
    Options
    BarbieAS wrote: »
    thoughts???

There's no way to know if 1100-1200 is "ok" for you without a LOT more information. Age, gender, height, current weight, activity level besides the 15-20 minutes of walking. I do see from your profile that you're female and (no offense, just being factual) a little older, and those are two groups that can sort of "get away" with a lower calorie intake. If you're also relatively sedentary and you're getting enough protein, fats, and micro-nutrients, and you don't feel like your well being or energy are suffering, then 1200 may work for you, at least for now. Or maybe not. Everyone is different.

You say that you're seeing a doctor who is going to monitor your progress, so I would really really urge you to do 2 things:

First, ask your doctor for a referral to a registered dietitian (NOT nutritionist). S/he can help you find the right calorie range for you and give you some ideas of the best ways to reach it.

Second, you never mentioned if you weigh and measure all of your foods even though a few people asked. I'm not at all trying to suggest that you're lying, but it's both REALLY hard to get over-full on only 1,000 calories per day (particularly for several days in a row), no matter how much of it is lean protein and vegetables, as well as REALLY easy to underestimate how much you're eating if you're not carefully weighing and measuring every single thing. Weighing and measuring is one of the absolute best things someone trying to monitor their calorie intake can do, especially when they're just starting out. I highly recommend a food scale for ALL solids and measuring cups/spoons for ALL liquids.[

[ I really didn't know I was suppose to weigh foods. I was only instructed by my Dr. to add foods and liquids to the diary. I am female 5'6". I had my gallbladder removed in February this year and I gained like 20 lbs. since then. I however weigh 220. Ashamed to say it but very true. I do measure all liquids. I am eating lots of salads and fruits which I truly love. I can say I never have been a breakfast person so I tend not to eat until around 9 or 10 am, so I try to fit everything in after that. Maybe this is the problem. I have been trying to eat earlier though. Thanks for all the advise..]
  • jamisondi
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

how would i do this, i am so new to all of this.

OPENED
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    It looks like you are only using measuring cups to help you count calories. While, they can be fairly accurate, sometimes with high calorie foods like cheese or peanut butter, they can be 50+ calories off. I'd suggest you get a food scale (~$15 from Walmart or Amazon). A few days ago you logged Ham - Diced Ham, 0.01 oz, and it gives you 0 calories for such a small amount. Did you actually consume ham or did you forget to remove it from your diary?

Perhaps there are other inconsistencies like these on your other days. One of your entries is also Generic Cheesecake, one slice. This alone could be a "hidden" extra 200 calories.

Reason why you may want a food scale:

- Large eggs are supposed to be 50g. Sometimes an egg can weigh 45g and sometimes it can weigh 55g. what if you eat 3 eggs that happen to weigh 55g each?
    - A "tablespoon" of peanut butter can weigh up to twice as much as you think it might.
    - Pre sliced bread can often weigh more or less than the nutrition info states
    - A serving of chips can be stated as "9 chips" or something. This can be so inaccurate especially if you consider broken and mis-sized chips.