How do You get out of your head? Battling the "quits".

Options
cwhiting77
cwhiting77 Posts: 10 Member
edited June 2016 in Introduce Yourself
Greetings!

I have 10 months until I turn 40. I want to "find" fitness and never lose it again! My goal is for a modest 2 piece by the Big 4-0, something I've never been able to do, which includes dropping 45 pounds.

I am also starting to feel the impacts of poor nutrition and fitness, lethargy, moodiness, the "blues". We [humans] are living longer, and I don't want my "longer" to also be "sicker".

Trying to get out of my head, keeping in mind that it's not too late, I can reach a strong physical health I've not attained in my life before, even though I'm starting late. And, I'll be honest, I want to be healthy, and smoking hot.

Getting out of my head is proving challenging.
Battling giving up when the thoughts of, "you'll never be able to achieve your goal" become overwhelming.

Any other late starters out there feeling intimidated by their goal as well?

Be well!

Replies

• almostanangel21
    almostanangel21 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I've got clinical depression and anxiety, so I'm used to that lethargy and moodiness you're talking about. If that's the norm for you, you might want to get checked out and see if you need treatment/meds. "The quits" haven't gone away, but "suck it up, Buttercup" is doable.
  • Izc1
    Izc1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Cwhitting77 thanks for the post! I feel ya... In thankful for this community. .. I think this will help us. Nice to meet you! I have found that joining a club that is open 24hrs a day has taken away many excuses for me... I can work out around my work schedule. ..
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I have no idea how I battle "the quits" but I do. I will be 40 in 3 months and I'm not depressed about it now but when I turned 30 I got really depressed. *oh to be younger again*
    My lower back hurts a lot and has for since I can remember so I finally got so sick of it that I decided I needed to lose weight and exercise. The weight has come off fairly easy, although I am on a plateau right now but I can get off it and I knew this would happen.
    Another thing that may motivate me is I work with the elderly and can see from their habits (and attitude) what has aged them. I see 94 year olds that look 75 and vice versa.
    I also do a lot of deep breathing and yoga. I look forward to the yoga like a drug, it sets my whole day back in order.

So. Breathing, yoga, back pain and the elderly. That must be how I battle the quits.

How long have you been at it? Are you logging everything? The community on here is very supportive. Check out the success stories when you feel the quits! They are awesome!

Good luck! Keep checking in!
  • PamelaW41
    PamelaW41 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I felt this way when I started too. I never dreamed I could actually do it. I kept saying if I could just lose 30 pounds. Well once I hit 51 pounds I knew I could do it. Now 100 pounds later, I'm 43 and it the best shape of my life. You can do it. I joined a 24 hour gym too and i find it eliminates my excuses too. Lol. Now I love to workout. I keep pushing bc now I wonder how much further I can push my body! Good luck!
  • cwhiting77
    Options
    Thank you all! I wasn't sure about reaching out, but so glad I did. "Suck it up Buttercup" is a favorite saying I forgot about! I am hoping diet and exercise will help thwart some of those blues. I am committed to picking back up logging and tracking, my first will be tomorrow :) Just downloaded daily yoga too. Again, thanks all! I know these are just steps, but ones in the right direction. I'll keep in touch!
  • DanielleClosson
    DanielleClosson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Turning 31 this year and I want it to be my last year of being over weight. I can only seem to stay committed to a diet/exercise plan for max a week before I call the "quits" so I makes my goal a challenge.
  • DanSTL82
    DanSTL82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Doing the math, your goal comes right around 1 lb per week weight loss, which is totally doable. And of course it's not too late. In 10 months, you'll be 40 whether you've lost the weight or not, so you might as well be a 45-pounds-lighter 40.
  • amgchandler
    amgchandler Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    6 months until I turn 40 too. I just looked in the mirror over the weekend and really didn't like what I saw. It's time for me to change that. My busy schedule and large family can't be an excuse anymore. I want to be healthy and look great. Thanks for sharing cwhiting77. We're in the same club and we can both succeed!
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,736 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I find the best way to battle the "quits" is to set realistic, short-term goals. Instead of "I have to lose 30 pounds by X date", I might say I want to meet my calorie goals every day this week and walk at least 15 mins a day. Although I do weigh every day, I focus more on how my body feels and how my clothes fit, because the number jumps up and down a lot depending on what I've eaten. Yesterday was a kilo higher than the previous day because I'd had a salty meal.

I bought that bikini in advance and kept it hanging on the front of the closet to remind me of that goal. And I wear it even though I still have a bit of a belly. I feel good in it and that's what counts. Whether other people think I'm fat or whatever is their problem, not mine. ;)
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Late start for me! I tried various diets as a young woman, and they'd work for awhile, then I'd be back to my old, bad habits. But on my 60th birthday, while articles about "You can't do it when you're older" and "Just get surgery" swirled through my head, I started doing the right things anyway. I weighed 237 at the start, and when I was through, I weighed 113. 124 pounds. I "lost whole person."
    I like the way you express -- the "quits" -- but don't let the quits get to you! You can do it, and the benefits you'll experience will outshine the struggle with the quits.

Gotta tell you a funny story. I worked in one office throughout my weight loss but wore, basically, the same clothes the whole time. I just did not believe in me. I didn't deal well with my success! So those big ol' clothes got to the point of my having to hang on to my slacks to keep them from falling off! I finally "got it" and went one evening to the store to buy some new clothes.
    I was totally confused to be told that I was in the wrong area of the clothes department! The lady pointed to a place several aisles away, telling me to ask the sales persons there, and I SO hesitated! "That area is for skinny people," I responded. She sent me there anyway. :blush:
    So the next day, I was sitting in my office. The pastor and two of the parishioners walked in, turned toward my desk, and stood in a semicircle, just staring with their mouths hanging open! It was So Funny!! They couldn't speak -- just stared -- for what seemed like a good half a minute, until I giggled a little!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Great post! :smiley:

I was a bit like you, I was 42 and feeling unfit and over weight (by around 20lbs) and looked unsightly in my clothes then I decided to do something about it.

I did the losing slowly - 1/2lb a week which was much more doable and never once did I feel deprived or that I was on a diet.

I never ate less than 1400 calories a day, when I began adding exercise daily that number became 1600-1800 calories a day.

4 yrs on, well I got to goal in 2013 and been cruising along nicely ever since :smile:

I got active and I realised I REALLY enjoyed being fit. I like running, I LOVE walking and I even enjoy lifting heavy weights. A total turn a round from the woman I was 4 years ago. (and I have great muscles, still am proud of them hehe)

All the very best for your weight loss journey :smile:
  • cwhiting77
    Options
    DanSTL82 wrote: »
    Doing the math, your goal comes right around 1 lb per week weight loss, which is totally doable. And of course it's not too late. In 10 months, you'll be 40 whether you've lost the weight or not, so you might as well be a 45-pounds-lighter 40.

Hey, thanks! Feeling so intimidated, I didn't do the math yet. Yes, you are so right, 1lb a week is doable!
  • cwhiting77
    Options
    I find the best way to battle the "quits" is to set realistic, short-term goals. Instead of "I have to lose 30 pounds by X date", I might say I want to meet my calorie goals every day this week and walk at least 15 mins a day. Although I do weigh every day, I focus more on how my body feels and how my clothes fit, because the number jumps up and down a lot depending on what I've eaten. Yesterday was a kilo higher than the previous day because I'd had a salty meal.

I bought that bikini in advance and kept it hanging on the front of the closet to remind me of that goal. And I wear it even though I still have a bit of a belly. I feel good in it and that's what counts. Whether other people think I'm fat or whatever is their problem, not mine. ;)

Fabulous, this lady's attainable goal today, get out and walk!
  • cwhiting77
    Options
    Late start for me! I tried various diets as a young woman, and they'd work for awhile, then I'd be back to my old, bad habits. But on my 60th birthday, while articles about "You can't do it when you're older" and "Just get surgery" swirled through my head, I started doing the right things anyway. I weighed 237 at the start, and when I was through, I weighed 113. 124 pounds. I "lost whole person."
    I like the way you express -- the "quits" -- but don't let the quits get to you! You can do it, and the benefits you'll experience will outshine the struggle with the quits.

Gotta tell you a funny story. I worked in one office throughout my weight loss but wore, basically, the same clothes the whole time. I just did not believe in me. I didn't deal well with my success! So those big ol' clothes got to the point of my having to hang on to my slacks to keep them from falling off! I finally "got it" and went one evening to the store to buy some new clothes.
    I was totally confused to be told that I was in the wrong area of the clothes department! The lady pointed to a place several aisles away, telling me to ask the sales persons there, and I SO hesitated! "That area is for skinny people," I responded. She sent me there anyway. :blush:
    So the next day, I was sitting in my office. The pastor and two of the parishioners walked in, turned toward my desk, and stood in a semicircle, just staring with their mouths hanging open! It was So Funny!! They couldn't speak -- just stared -- for what seemed like a good half a minute, until I giggled a little!

This is a great story! I'm so glad you shared, as I am truly inspired! Congratulations! Time to get out and put some steps under my feet! Here's to shopping a little further down the rack!
  • elncatalan
    elncatalan Posts: 12 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Turning 45 and battled clinical depression, found my inner happiness and lost weight and feeling fitter and confident. I think it happened because I changed my inner dialogue and stayed away from negative things (news, people). Really I think what triggered all of this self love and all that followed was meditation, something I always thought I couldn't do because I couldn't "stop thinking". Turns out, that's normal and okay! You accept your thoughts and move on. Anyway, I hope you can find. Way to get out of your own head and out of your own way. You deserve to feel your best and to enjoy your life.
  • cwhiting77
    Options
    Great post! :smiley:

I was a bit like you, I was 42 and feeling unfit and over weight (by around 20lbs) and looked unsightly in my clothes then I decided to do something about it.

I did the losing slowly - 1/2lb a week which was much more doable and never once did I feel deprived or that I was on a diet.

I never ate less than 1400 calories a day, when I began adding exercise daily that number became 1600-1800 calories a day.

4 yrs on, well I got to goal in 2013 and been cruising along nicely ever since :smile:

I got active and I realised I REALLY enjoyed being fit. I like running, I LOVE walking and I even enjoy lifting heavy weights. A total turn a round from the woman I was 4 years ago. (and I have great muscles, still am proud of them hehe)

All the very best for your weight loss journey :smile:

Great story, congrats on it all, fit & happy...that's my goal.

It started with seeing a picture of myself, and whoa, I do not like what I saw, at all. I saw a woman that places value on being healthy, but not living those values. Time to walk the talk!

I know one of my struggles is going to be calories, but there's so much support on here, so I've got no excuses.

• RBarley92
    RBarley92 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Totally know this feeling!! For me its been postnatal depression which has led to a loooot of post baby weight gain. She is now ten months old and I feel like I'm bigger then I was in the last few weeks of pregnancy! Keeping up with doing anything is hard and although three days a week I make my step goal which is a low 4000 the other four days I just can't seem to do it. Decided to give myself a long term goal and signed up for the VLM next year in order to motivate myself to get out running, its completely failed. In the past three weeks I've been out once :( Now I'm constantly in my own head thinking I can't do it and just can't escape
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @cwhiting77

OP

I think you have just inadvertantly helped me experience a major paradigm shift I have been dancing around for my whole life...for some reason, the way you phrased it "the quits" reminded me of when I had committed to a very rigorous course of study that would ultimately lead to an advanced degree. I was a single parent of a 6 year old boy, and every day I thought "what have I done? I don't think I can do this. Maybe if I grit my teeth I can hang on for another day." Etc, etc, etc. Then one day for some reason, I woke up and I thought, "This is not school. This is not something I can hold my breath until it's over. This is not something to "get through" and breathe a sigh of relief and go back to my old life. This is my chosen career, and this is just another day in my life. And I will live each day as it comes, and prepare as well as I am able for tomorrow."

I remember talking to my (now departed) wise mother during that challenging time, and saying to her, "If I stay in school, I will be 36 years old by the time I am completely finished! And she said, "And how old will be if you don't finish school?" I miss my mom.

That was 33 years ago, and one wonderful career later. My son is now almost 39 years old and has a wonderful career and a family of his own.

Your post has reminded me to apply that lesson to my optimal health journey, something I have always struggled with...thank you for your post, I do believe it has changed my life today!

Karen
  • cwhiting77
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement through your own stories! Man, wish I would've joined sooner, but no time for the "should've, could've, would've", only time for now.
  • cwhiting77
    Options
    @cwhiting77

OP

I think you have just inadvertantly helped me experience a major paradigm shift I have been dancing around for my whole life...for some reason, the way you phrased it "the quits" reminded me of when I had committed to a very rigorous course of study that would ultimately lead to an advanced degree. I was a single parent of a 6 year old boy, and every day I thought "what have I done? I don't think I can do this. Maybe if I grit my teeth I can hang on for another day." Etc, etc, etc. Then one day for some reason, I woke up and I thought, "This is not school. This is not something I can hold my breath until it's over. This is not something to "get through" and breathe a sigh of relief and go back to my old life. This is my chosen career, and this is just another day in my life. And I will live each day as it comes, and prepare as well as I am able for tomorrow."

I remember talking to my (now departed) wise mother during that challenging time, and saying to her, "If I stay in school, I will be 36 years old by the time I am completely finished! And she said, "And how old will be if you don't finish school?" I miss my mom.

That was 33 years ago, and one wonderful career later. My son is now almost 39 years old and has a wonderful career and a family of his own.

Your post has reminded me to apply that lesson to my optimal health journey, something I have always struggled with...thank you for your post, I do believe it has changed my life today!

Karen

I am so glad to hear your story. I'm going to hear your mother's words frequently, with a twist, "how will your health be if you don't run?" and, "where will your daughter's health be, with the behavior you are modeling?"

A big hive five your way!

Best Wishes!