Anybody using meal replacement shakes?

Options
Hi, just wondered if there was a group on here that were using SlimFast or similar meal replacement shakes?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Why don't you want to eat food anymore?
  • BuddhaB0y
    BuddhaB0y Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Don't recommend slimfast but I do occasionally incorporate high protien meal replacements in my daily routine.

You will hear people go on about how they arnt good to use because unless you intend to drink them all the time you arnt changing your eating habits, etc etc...

But I use them in places I normally don't like eating but know I need to consume something like at breakfast time. They are a quick easy way to take in protein and calories before work.

I wouldn't rely on them solely as a way to lose weight, but they definitely do have a place in some peoples schedules.

• pennybutton
    pennybutton Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I do want to eat food, however I keep trying all sorts of things to lose weight , without success, so thought this might give me a kick start, I am 55yrs old, 5'11 and 200lbs. I seem to get stuck at this weight and go no lower.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Eat less?
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I like Vega Clean Protein and I like Plant fusion. I usually do that for (or with) breakfast and I mix a variety of fresh veggies in with it. Sometimes coconut water. It's delicious and fills you up.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I use MRP's but I use them between meals to gain weight not lose it!
  • dougfarrar1
    dougfarrar1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I prefer a smoothie for breakfast. At our home we us the Juice Plus Complete powder which is vegan, non GMO soy based, with a plant based milk, some fruit and/or greens, chia seeds, flax seed.
    Very satisfying.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Stop trying all sorts of things. You don't need a kick start. You need to have a consistent calorie deficit, and that is easiest to achieve if you eat in a way that is pleasureable enough to not make you feel deprived (and subsequently give up or cheat), but not so pleasureable that you only want to continue eating (and blow your calories immediately).

You also need to be certain that you are eating the amounts of calories you think you are eating. Weigh everything in grams on an electronic food scale, and log it, after you've double checked entries with food labels or the USDA website. You can plan your meals in advance, and it's smart to make sure you have everything you need for all the meals you have planned, and not buy anything you don't intend to eat. You can eat anything you want, but to be able to create a calorie deficit, we need to cut down on some things, and maybe increase intake of some other things. It's only you who can make those decisions.

Also, be sure you are measuring your progress properly. Weigh yourself regularly and look at the trend. Weight will fluctuate independently from real fat loss or gain, so you need a lot of data points over a long time. A month is minimum to see any real change.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Premiere Protein once in a while. I get 18 of them for $20 @ Costco. I'll have one for breakfast if I'm in a hurry.
  • ddavenport63
    ddavenport63 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    For the first 3 or 4 months of my plan i used the shakes for breakfast only, it did kick start my diet but i did add extra stuff like camu powder ( very high vitamin c ) and a few baby spinach leaves as well as only almond milk , i realy liked these shakes at the time as it was spring and summer then but its winter now (in australia) so im happy to have warm cereal instead. I am 53 yrs and have lost 62lb over 13 months and just have about 26 lb to get to my goal .so i think you must do what works for you as long as you dont rely on them for too long and get urself onto normal food eventualy, good luck .
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I haven't touched one (nor a protein bar) since learning to cook, and discovering that I don't hate food as much as I thought I did.
  • RBarley92
    RBarley92 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've done a shake/soup/bar (Exante) replacement thing before and it worked really well, until I stopped and all the weight came back on. Since then I've tried Herbalife as well which I found good for loosing inches but not so much weight as I couldn't get the protein levels balanced. Slimfast I have in the cupboard but tbh have only used it when I don't have time to do breakfast, make a shake and run out the door!
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I tried having a protein shake for breakfast. The only thing it kickstarted for me was my hunger! When I had the shake I would be hungry about 30 minutes later! When I looked back over my diary, the days when I had a shake were the days that I ate MORE/consumed more calories.
  • kp3205
    kp3205 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I second Premiere Protein and I add a Pure Protein bar with it for a meal replacement.
  • Smurfe04
    Smurfe04 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have tried shakes and smoothies with utter, dismal lack of success. I have one and am I starving in 30-60 minutes. More so if I had eaten nothing at all.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    kp3205 wrote: »
    I second Premiere Protein and I add a Pure Protein bar with it for a meal replacement.

Hell, I just wish someone would make a protein bar that isn't just an overpriced and glorified Snickers.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    kp3205 wrote: »

Hell, I just wish someone would make a protein bar that isn't just an overpriced and glorified Snickers.

I'd rather have the Snickers!
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Premier Protein a couple of times a week when I am extra busy at work - I prefer chocolate.