Alternative of Cod and Salmon

Hi everyone - Long story short, I was recommended a personal trainer who provides online training - basically a weekly nutrition list and workout list. For the first two weeks, he was very responsive to my questions, but it seems like he's got his money and he's not really being too helpful anymore.

He provided me a meal plan starting Friday that is good until he says otherwise. In my previous meal plans, I've asked him to give me an alternative to fish because I'm just not a fish person. I understand the benefits, but I can't do it. I am able to eat canned tuna, shrimp, scallops...but not cooking/baking fish.

I've seen progress with the workout plans and even the nutrition, but starting July 1, 2 of my 6 meals are fish. I've asked him if he could give me an alternative protein to eat, but he is not getting back to me. So, I figured I'd ask everyone here to see what you think could be a good alternative. I'll list out all 6 meals, and I would just need the cod and salmon to be swapped out.

Meals 1-6

1- 8 egg whites - 1/3 cup oats

2- 7 oz Cod fish
8 spears asparagus
10 raw almonds

3- 6.5 oz ground turkey 99/1% lean
1/2 cup white rice

4. 6.5 oz ground turkey 99/% lean 1/4 cup white rice
1 cup leaf spinach

5. 50 grams protein shake and 1 pop tart

6. 6 oz salmons 8 spears asparagus

You will follow this for 3 days then every 4th day add 1 cup oats to meal 1 and add 1 cup rice to meals 2 and 6

Thank you in advance!

Note- I am a 30 year old male, 5'10, 170lbs, 15% body fat. My goal is to put on some muscle while getting my body fat to around 10%.

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Since cod and salmon are fattier fish, you could likely sub in chicken thighs and legs (wings may be a bit too much fat for your plan and breasts would be too lean). Failing that, there's always leaner pork sausages.
  • Kobz27
    Kobz27 Posts: 64 Member
    Chia seeds and flax seeds have good protein and omega3. I believe many vegans use those as a replacement to nutrients fish have.

Lmao at pop tart in the mix. I'm hoping that was a personal request for something dessert like and not something for nutritional purposes.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited June 2016
    If you don't want to follow the plan, then don't follow the plan.

You can eat anything you want. If you have any particular nutritional needs, pick foods you like that fill those needs. Nutritional goals to hit will for most MFP users be calories, then protein, fat and carbs, fiber and sodium.

That meal plan is a joke :D
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited June 2016
    If you don't want to follow the plan, then don't follow the plan.

You can eat anything you want. If you have any particular nutritional needs, pick foods you like that fill those needs. Nutritional goals to hit will for most MFP users be calories, then protein, fat and carbs, fiber and sodium.

That meal plan is a joke :D

For real. I'm pacific islander(looove fish) but the thought of eating fish everyday makes me wanna hurl:dizzy:
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,733 Member
    Kobz27 wrote: »
    Chia seeds and flax seeds have good protein and omega3. I believe many vegans use those as a replacement to nutrients fish have.

Lmao at pop tart in the mix. I'm hoping that was a personal request for something dessert like and not something for nutritional purposes.

That's what caught my attention, too! Also, 8 egg whites seems like a lot. I'd probably eat 3 or 4 whole eggs.

Since sausage is in the plan twice, I'd do as @Gallowmere1984 suggested and replace the fish with chicken.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    You will follow this for 3 days then every 4th day add 1 cup oats to meal 1 and add 1 cup rice to meals 2 and 6

Your trainer is a moron. Or lazy. Sounds like both.

A couple of options:

1) Figure out the Calories and macros of the above plan and eat pretty much whatever you want to fit those Cals and macros.

2) Input your stats into a TDEE calculator such as the one over at scoobysworkshop or iifym. Get appropriate Calorie/macro goals from there and fill out your diet to match those numbers.

• JonathanSkudera
    JonathanSkudera Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks for some of the positive, neutral and negative feedback. I'm not sure what makes him a moron and lazy, or why the meal plan is a joke. I am not following this meal plan he gave me to a T because of the fish. All I asked was a suggestion for alternative foods that I can eat which make up the nutritional values that the cod and salmon deliver. I will take some of the suggestions that were provided and see what I can come up with. Thanks again.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    edited June 2016
    So few calories for a young man trying to put on muscle. But substitute whatever proteins you like for the fish - steaks, pork chops, chicken, turkey.
  • JonathanSkudera
    UpEarly wrote: »
    So few calories for a young man trying to put on muscle. But substitute whatever proteins you like for the fish - steaks, pork chops, chicken, turkey.

I did not notice the calories until it was mentioned on this thread. I just logged it, and it's about 1,860 calories. The first week he had me on 2,500 calories and I wanted to throw up because it was too much. Trying to find a happy medium I guess.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    I don't understand why you are limited to only asparagus and spinach and no other fruits or vegetables. Seems like this diet might be lacking in many micronutrients.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    I don't understand why you are limited to only asparagus and spinach and no other fruits or vegetables. Seems like this diet might be lacking in many micronutrients.

Looks like he's trying to keep the carbs down with that, but then wtf with the Pop Tart and rice?
  • JonathanSkudera

He specifically indicated no fruit up front, perhaps from the sugar (although natural). This is a list of the veggies he indicated was OK: spinach, broccoli, green beans, kale, cucumber, white onion, tomatoes, lettuce, and celery.

Made it very clear no carrots or corn. Again, not sure exactly why...but that's what I've been following. I've seen results over the last two weeks and since I paid for his services already, I'm just trying to stick through it to see what my end results will be. It has been quite frustrating at times with the lack of information/responses, but I'm working with what I got right now.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    edited June 2016
    UpEarly wrote: »

I did not notice the calories until it was mentioned on this thread. I just logged it, and it's about 1,860 calories. The first week he had me on 2,500 calories and I wanted to throw up because it was too much. Trying to find a happy medium I guess.

I'm 15 years older than you/female and I average about 2300-2500 calories a day to maintain my weight of 135 (I'm 5'9). I just think any effort you're putting in at the gym is going to be undermined by this low calorie plan. To build muscle, you can't eat under your TDEE. If you're eating at a deficit, the likely outcome is losing BOTH muscle and fat. The results you're seeing are probably mostly water loss and some fat loss that make your current/existing underlying muscle seem more prominent.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member

He specifically indicated no fruit up front, perhaps from the sugar (although natural). This is a list of the veggies he indicated was OK: spinach, broccoli, green beans, kale, cucumber, white onion, tomatoes, lettuce, and celery.

Made it very clear no carrots or corn. Again, not sure exactly why...but that's what I've been following. I've seen results over the last two weeks and since I paid for his services already, I'm just trying to stick through it to see what my end results will be. It has been quite frustrating at times with the lack of information/responses, but I'm working with what I got right now.

This is why it's better to find out what your goals really are and what steps you need to take to get there, instead of trying to follow an arbitrary plan made by some guy that has made you believe there's only one way to do this. It's not. There are thousands, maybe millions of ways to compose a good diet to build muscle. And you just have to find one. Start with your calorie need and your food preferences. These are crucial, and both of them are neglected in your current plan. In my opinion, you've been ripped off. No need to defend this guy.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member

Since you are o.k. with eating canned tuna, then eat the canned.

• pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    Made it very clear no carrots or corn. Again, not sure exactly why...

He is attempting to limit your carb intake.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    pdxhak wrote: »

but wants him to eat pop tarts? um ok
  • pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    pdxhak wrote: »

but wants him to eat pop tarts? um ok

Right? Do not fully understand the meal plan either.