Weight lifting question

Options
As I lose weight in other parts of my body I notice my upper arms are super flabby. All I've been doing is cardio. If I lift 5 lb weights, would that help?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It is not going to hurt but I don't believe you are going to get much in the way of results from that. Most women carry purses that are 5 lbs on a daily basis and don't end up with good arm development from it. It would be better to find a good program that progresses with weight in order to build your arms. At the same time, you'll need to continue losing fat as that will help expose your strengthened muscle.

If you are not interested in lifting weights, a bodyweight program can help with this a lot. Pushups and rows (I used a weight for these) and modified pullups can give you good results.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    It is not going to hurt but I don't believe you are going to get much in the way of results from that. Most women carry purses that are 5 lbs on a daily basis and don't end up with good arm development from it. It would be better to find a good program that progresses with weight in order to build your arms. At the same time, you'll need to continue losing fat as that will help expose your strengthened muscle.

If you are not interested in lifting weights, a bodyweight program can help with this a lot. Pushups and rows (I used a weight for these) and modified pullups can give you good results.

All this!
  • Cchioles
    Cchioles Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    You Should Lift A Weight That You Can Manage FOr The Full Amount Of Reps You Are Doing With GOOD Form.. That Can Be 5lbs FOr You OR MAybe Even 15... Experiment :)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Cchioles wrote: »
    You Should Lift A Weight That You Can Manage FOr The Full Amount Of Reps You Are Doing With GOOD Form.. That Can Be 5lbs FOr You OR MAybe Even 15... Experiment :)

The caps on each word bothered me a bit on this... LOL

OP, you can certainly use the 5 pounds, but to accomplish upper body composition, you need to consider a lifting program or body weight program just like the above posters say.

My purse weighs 6 pounds.. it doesn't do a whole lot in terms of even using my arm muscles.