Pull ups

Options
I want to learn to do a dead hang pull up, what is the fastest way to develop those muscles?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Lots of practice, doing negatives, banded... also work on chin-ups first (which I find easier than pull-ups).

This article by Bret Contreras might help: https://bretcontreras.com/want-chin-15-tips-improve-chinning-progress/
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Inverted rows got me started, then everything @sardelsa mentioned.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I just practiced pull-ups. On the assisted machine and negatives on the pull-up bar.
  • Carpercia
    Carpercia Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Resistance bands and / or just negative pull-ups for as long as required to progress.
  • OGBrojas
    OGBrojas Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    How long did you do the Negatives? And how many?
    I just practiced pull-ups. On the assisted machine and negatives on the pull-up bar.

• Cchioles
    Cchioles Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    G
    OGBrojas wrote: »

Generally 3-5 seconds
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I have a doorway bar at home so I could always do a few no problem but when they became part of a class I was taking where we worked on them a couple times a week with bands of varying levels that is where I saw the most improvement. I personally wouldn't attempt band pull ups without assistance of someone to get you in and out, but that's just my opinion.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

As slow as possible controlled to the bottom and as many as you can

Next time try to beat it

• OGBrojas
    Options
    How long if I work hard should I be able to do one?
  • RollTideTri
    RollTideTri Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/pullups-for-total-beginners/

That's the best beginner pullup article I've seen. Do those steps and you'll get there for sure
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I was just laughing at myself yesterday. I can do chin ups just fine, but have always struggled with pullups. I was doing assisted pull ups on the machine yesterday and had it set at 40lbs. I was struggling, but making it and it felt like the pad wasn't really touching my knees. So I thought...I bet I could do an unassisted one. Nope!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    How long if I work hard should I be able to do one?

Impossible to answer and not something to really concern yourself with...just do the work...try to do better every time out...it will come in its own time.
  • petejames58
    petejames58 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you can do close grip chin ups underhand grip, stay close grip but switch to overhand grip.
    Build these up then widen your grip a bit, keep building and widening until you are doing proper wide grip pull-ups.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I spent a year (yup) getting to a dead hang pull up. I can now do 2. They're not pretty or smooth, but I can do them. I learnt through doing negatives but that only helped me from standing, I finally got the dead hang through pole ! I have a doorway bar at home so just do one each time I go past!
  • OGBrojas
    Options
    What helped you the most? And what workouts did you do to learn the first year?
    ARGriffy wrote: »
    I spent a year (yup) getting to a dead hang pull up. I can now do 2. They're not pretty or smooth, but I can do them. I learnt through doing negatives but that only helped me from standing, I finally got the dead hang through pole ! I have a doorway bar at home so just do one each time I go past!

• Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Technique is important too. Don't wrap your thumbs around the bar, so you can focus on using your back. Keep your core tight. That's an awesome goal. Good luck!
  • Arathels
    Arathels Posts: 6,883 Member
    Options
    I love pull-ups! I do them on a spinning pole and that way they're way more fun. If you can't do one start by jumping and lowering yourself slowly.. that's the way I managed to get to where I am today :)
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Lat-pull down machine helped me get there. One day it was broken and all weights were engaged - and to my surprise I could pull 220 pounds - went straight to the chin up bar and surprised myself.

Also doing assisted pull-ups (put toe on stool and only help as much as you need to get up there - like with P90X)
  • ARGriffy
    Options
    What helped you the most? And what workouts did you do to learn the first year?
    ARGriffy wrote: »

Negatives helped the most, along with push ups and dips to help my upper strength. And literally having it at home helped massively, repetition to learn muscle memory!
  • ARGriffy
    Options
    Oh and handstands / forearm stands too x