It's my first week on MFP and I've lost

CatherineLaurel
CatherineLaurel Posts: 197 Member
edited June 2016 in Getting Started
2.5 lbs in 3 days! Just counting calories and using the nutrition stats to make better choices. I can do this! Also, an unexpected but added benefit is feeling sleepy earlier, getting great sleep, and then waking up early! I know I'll lose the most the first week but man is it such a great motivator.

I joined because I know 2 people who have had success losing weight counting their calories. I've tried everything before this but I really feel that this is the best way for me because I don't have to cut anything out. I can just eat smaller portions and make better choices. I'm excited to be a part of this community and see where it takes me :)

Replies

• PhedraJD
    PhedraJD Posts: 1,392 Member
    Great start to your new journey. If you need some motivation, check out some of the messages on the success board.
  • ejillvan
    ejillvan Posts: 2 Member
    What is a realistic calorie goal per day? How do I know how many calories I should consume in a day?
  • Mike_take2
    Mike_take2 Posts: 2,150 Member
    cla11b wrote: »
    2.5 lbs in 3 days! Just counting calories and using the nutrition stats to make better choices. I can do this! Also, an unexpected but added benefit is feeling sleepy earlier, getting great sleep, and then waking up early! I know I'll lose the most the first week but man is it such a great motivator.

I joined because I know 2 people who have had success losing weight counting their calories. I've tried everything before this but I really feel that this is the best way for me because I don't have to cut anything out. I can just eat smaller portions and make better choices. I'm excited to be a part of this community and see where it takes me :)

Way to go! And welcome to mfp! Continued success!
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Nice job!
  • keophilluk
    keophilluk Posts: 2 Member
    Just started this week and it says I lost 3bls it's great app
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited June 2016
    I do love that first week big drop. It's motivational. Your losses will slow, but don't let that dishearten you at all. Nice work staying on track!

ejillvan wrote: »
    What is a realistic calorie goal per day? How do I know how many calories I should consume in a day?

The program will set you up with a calorie goal when you input your information. 2lb/week is the max (after the initial two weeks, which may be larger due to water shifting). That 2lb/week is not appropriate for all people though. There are posts stickied at the top of the getting started and general weight loss boards that are well worth reading.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    You're doing great, keep up the good work :smile:
    The loss will slow off - 1 to 2lbs per week is ideal/healthy, but at least you are being realistic to know that this week is when you see a nice whoosh and it'll keep you motivated to continue.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    healthy loss:-

2lbs loss per week is ideal for those needing to lose more than 50lbs - that means a daily calorie deficit of 1000 cals which can be hard when we have less to lose (we need to be netting a minimum of 1200/women or 1500/men)

1- 1.5lb loss/ week for 30-50lbs - that's a calorie deficit of 500-750 cals per day.

For less than 20lbs to lose - 0.5lbs a week is a healthy amount to loss - calorie deficit of 250 cals per day.

Choose the one that works best for you and is sustainable.

Its not a race to the finish line, its about changing how we think about food and how much we eat.

All the best :smile: