How to truly measure success

Options
I couldn't decide whether to post this here, or on the Motivation board. Everyone has their own reasons for changing their lifestyle. For some, it's a vanity thing. For others, the find inspiration in the successes of others. For me, it came down to being faced with "the big D"...diabetes. Three short months ago, my blood sugar was 165, my liver enzymes were out of whack, and my A1C (a historical blood sugar marker used to determine diabetes) was 7 -- in the diabetic range. My doctor sat me down and explained that I was at a fork in the road. If I continue the way I was going, I was headed for a life of blood sugar monitors, oral medication, and even the possibility of having to stick myself with a 24 gauge needle every day to inject insulin. He explained all the problems diabetics deal with, including macular degeneration and glaucoma, decreased circulation which can lead to injury and limb loss, increased risk for infections, and renal failure. The other road, he explained, would get me away from the brink of disaster. The prospect of continuing on the road I was on, quite honestly, scared the CRAP out of me. In fact, the desire to NOT become diabetic was far stronger than the desire to reach for that sleeve of Oreos. Thus began my journey.
Exactly three months after joining MFP, and changing my lifestyle, I revisited my doctor to see the fruits of my labor. In 90 days, here are the results:
Weight: March 30th...291 June 30th...257 (-34 pounds)
Glucose: March 30th...165 June 30th...111 (-54 mg)
A1C: March 30th... 7.0 June 30th... 5.5 (-1.5%)

In addition, my liver enzymes (ALT and SGPT) are the best they've been in three YEARS.

Am I in new clothes? Yes. Do I LOOK better? Yes. Do I FEEL better? Of course. But most importantly...I'm out of the woods from the Diabetes Monster. Now that I've stared Diabetes in the face, I'll never forget what the monster looks like. I never want to see him again. The results motivate me to keep this lifestyle going, and I hope that my story might help others who might be in the same boat. Ultimately, this isn't about getting into some fashionable clothes, or seeing numbers on a scale. It's about living longer, living healthier and feeling better. If I can do this...YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! You might lose battles here and there along the way, but you CAN win the war!!! Fight on!!!

Replies

• kathywoo10
    kathywoo10 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Really motivating! Thank you for sharing and congratulations on your awesome success!
  • nomorefatbitch
    Options
    Fantastic work!
    Congratulations on this success and here's hoping you continue to move toward your goals!
  • mommy3brats
    Options
    Fantastic! Keep it up! My dad is 83 and is now having to face not taking the right fork in the road 30 years ago. He is now almost blind and on dialysis......diabetes is a horrible, preventable disease. I
  • lisa_73
    lisa_73 Posts: 43
    Options
    congrats! my husband is diabetic (type 2), and i think he often loses sight of the possible complications that his everyday eating can be leading him to (although, he eats a whole lot better than before he was diagnosed). It can be hard to stay on track, so this is a great thing you've done!
  • psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options
    wonderful lab results!! congrats!! :drinker:
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! What a great story. Isn't health amazing?? :)
  • aristel
    aristel Posts: 110
    Options
    great for you, congrats!!
  • PositiveMummy
    Options
    Loved reading this! I'm so happy for you :-) you have done brilliantly, and you're also a great friend to have on here - so supportive and full of wise words. Who would have thought I could be so inspired by someone so far away who I'm never going to meet. This website is fantastic. Congratulations to you and I wish you even more success in the future! I'll always have a peek at your diary :-)

Kim
    xx
  • kelly6485
    kelly6485 Posts: 78
    Options
    Hey Dave!!!
    You have been such a hard worker, and a motivated friend from the very beginning, it has been so awesome to see you improve, and It's just wonderful that you are getting healthy .

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Keep up the great work :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!