Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should junk food be taxed?

Options

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Maybe, but perhaps healthy food should be more affordable instead of junk food. It's cheaper to buy chips, soft drinks and sweet foods than it is to buy fresh fruit and vegetables.

What? That's ludicrous! Bananas in California are 89 cents a pound and a large bag of potato chips are $2.79.

Ok. But you're in cali. Here, a honeybun is 50 cents, and a banana is about the same price. Chips here (offbrand) are $1.00 vs a bag of carrots that will cost over $3. It's that way almost everywhere.

You are in Arizona, if you were in Canada I would get your point. But I have been to Arizona many many times, so I have seen the prices of fruits and vegetables and they are no different than in California. We get foods from Mexico and so does Arizona.

I meant to comment on that too! People say it's expensive to eat healthy. But in most parts of at least the US, there is almost always fresh produce at reasonable prices, even in regular grocery stores. Sure, strawberries are expensive in NY in January, but apples, potatoes, cabbage, and carrots are cheap. And things like bulk rice, beans, and lentils, frozen fruits and veggies, cut raw chicken parts, stew meat, non-fancy frozen fish fillets, generic plain yogurt, eggs, all this stuff is cheap compared to most packaged food.

We grow a lot of food in our state including avocados but visiting family in another state the avocados were cheaper. lol

A 10 pound bag of potatoes is the same price as large bag of potato chips. A 1 pound bag of carrots is one dollar, not sure were previous poster shops. Her carrots are really expensive, organic maybe??
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    It's also more than just about the price of individual food alone. A lot of food considered to be "junk food" is also convenient. Quick and easy to make and often portable. And it tastes good (usually).
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »
    no. we pay too much in taxes already and it won't dissuade people from eating it. Look what they pay for cigarettes.

Every time they raise the tax on cigarettes, teen smoking goes down. You make a good argument.

Does it? Seems to me I see more teenagers smoking and less adults, mainly because teens aren't paying bills with their money.

Yes it does. Even with your anecdote.

U.S-Youth-Smoking-Prevalence-vs-Cigarette-Pack-Price-1991-2011-528x354.jpeg
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    It's also more than just about the price of individual food alone. A lot of food considered to be "junk food" is also convenient. Quick and easy to make and often portable. And it tastes good (usually).

I get that, and that's fine. The problem with a lot of those isn't so much what's in them, but how much a person gets. As an example, taken individually, all of the ingredients in a burrito are fine. The fact that the person buying it feels compelled to eat something the size of their head in one sitting might be the problem.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I get that, and that's fine. The problem with a lot of those isn't so much what's in them, but how much a person gets. As an example, taken individually, all of the ingredients in a burrito are fine. The fact that the person buying it feels compelled to eat something the size of their head in one sitting might be the problem.

How would tax fix that?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

How would tax fix that?

It wouldn't, which is why I am firmly against the tax.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Maybe, but perhaps healthy food should be more affordable instead of junk food. It's cheaper to buy chips, soft drinks and sweet foods than it is to buy fresh fruit and vegetables.

What? That's ludicrous! Bananas in California are 89 cents a pound and a large bag of potato chips are $2.79.

Come to Newfoundland. Prices are much higher here because it all has to come over via ferry. When the ferry is out of service (usually due to winter storm weather), the stores look like they were hit by looters. Fresh foods are pretty much cheaper where the food is. Don't even ask about Nunavut.

Ok. What about Nunavut?

Would you pay $13 for a head of cauliflower?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    Sugar should be taxed if you are on a universal health care system. Since the US isn't, then you're just taxing yourself later when you become diabetic or overweight and have complications.

If not then there should be penalties or restrictions for companies who are adding too much sugar into our food. Do we really need high fructose corn syrup in almost every loaf of bread?

You know sugar doesn't cause diabetes, right?

You know that sugar of some form is needed for the yeast to do its job on bread, right?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Come to Newfoundland. Prices are much higher here because it all has to come over via ferry. When the ferry is out of service (usually due to winter storm weather), the stores look like they were hit by looters. Fresh foods are pretty much cheaper where the food is. Don't even ask about Nunavut.

Ok. What about Nunavut?

Would you pay $13 for a head of cauliflower?

Is cauliflower seriously that expensive? It's barely $1 for a big head here
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Ok. But you're in cali. Here, a honeybun is 50 cents, and a banana is about the same price. Chips here (offbrand) are $1.00 vs a bag of carrots that will cost over $3. It's that way almost everywhere.

You are in Arizona, if you were in Canada I would get your point. But I have been to Arizona many many times, so I have seen the prices of fruits and vegetables and they are no different than in California. We get foods from Mexico and so does Arizona.

I meant to comment on that too! People say it's expensive to eat healthy. But in most parts of at least the US, there is almost always fresh produce at reasonable prices, even in regular grocery stores. Sure, strawberries are expensive in NY in January, but apples, potatoes, cabbage, and carrots are cheap. And things like bulk rice, beans, and lentils, frozen fruits and veggies, cut raw chicken parts, stew meat, non-fancy frozen fish fillets, generic plain yogurt, eggs, all this stuff is cheap compared to most packaged food.

Where I live, increases in food cost (and housing) have outpaced increases in wages by a very large margin. Potatoes and apples were never cheap here, but even locally grown foods are now expensive way out of proportion to paychecks. So if a "basket" of foods cost 10% of your month's wages in the 1980s that basket would cost 30% of the wages of the person doing that job now, maybe more actually.

I 100% agree though, that in relative terms, there are some healthy cheap choices.

Here it's dry beans, white rice, canned tomatoes, good olive oil is suprisingly less expensive than it was, frozen vegetables (not all of them though, only a few are still available in the family size bags, most have been converted to small and pricey steam in the bag single serving size). Okra in season, and watermelon in season, and collard/mustard greens in season, also sweet onions. Eggs are still a good deal, and milk. And, oddly, limes.
  • ParkingPeddler
    ParkingPeddler Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    One problem that comes to mind is the definition of "junk food". Where is that line drawn, and will that be something voters agree with? Here in Canada all our food is taxed already, frankly we are taxed too much as it is...push folks further and the government may not like the response.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Sugar should be taxed if you are on a universal health care system. Since the US isn't, then you're just taxing yourself later when you become diabetic or overweight and have complications.

If not then there should be penalties or restrictions for companies who are adding too much sugar into our food. Do we really need high fructose corn syrup in almost every loaf of bread?

You know that sugar of some form is needed for the yeast to do its job on bread, right?

If not sugar then what foods do cause diabetes?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @mskessler89 - If you look at the chart, teen smoking dropped sharply beginning in 1999. Indoor smoking (including in middle schools) was banned long before then, so can't be responsible.

You don't think cost has any effect on people with a limited and fixed income? Economists disagree, and history doesn't bear your theory out.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

If not sugar then what foods do cause diabetes?

Do you understand what diabetes is? It isn't caused by a specific food, although obesity can be a significant risk factor.