Does it matter what time of day you eat?

Options
Hi All,

I started to change my eating habits and lifestyle about 4 weeks ago and with the help of newly discovered MFP am reading advice and tips to help :-D

I am doing cardio exercise and have upped my strength training and eating higher levels of protein.

The food diary has exposed a problem. I am struggling with my diet.

I eat breakfast, struggle during the day to eat enough (work!!!!) and end up with snacks (healthy) keeping me going. I go to the gym on the way home then end up eating most of my calories at night - my question is ... does this matter? or is the calorie intake the key?

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I work second shift - so I am up late at night and sleep late during the day. I consume most of my calories at night. I also go to the gym at night. I've lost almost 60lbs. I truly feel that it doesn't matter WHEN you eat, but WHAT you are eating. I track calories and that's about it.
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism can't tell time so I don't think it matters at all
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I try to eat every 3 hours to keep my metabolism up. How long in between meals are you eating?
  • kirstyfromscotland
    kirstyfromscotland Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    im the same i but i do eat during the day, i am up at 4am so i have breakfast then, then toast in my teabreak then lunch, i have a pre workout snack and usually have dinner about 730-8pm then i have 2 b in bed by 9 ish, it hasnt stopped me loosing weight the only prob i sometimes have is when i weigh in, in the morning i sometimes feel its not that long ago i had dinner so i eat a big lunch n a smaller dinner on the day b4 my weigh in, Good luck :bigsmile:
  • sweatymary
    sweatymary Posts: 67
    Options
    I'm eating breakfast, then healthy snack (fruit etc) late morning, not having time to eat lunch until mid afternoon (if at all - if I miss it I eat more fruit or cereal bars or yoghurts etc.) gym after work and not having dinner until about 8 p.m. then having supper before bed :-/ I do try to eat at least something every 2 or 3 hours
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    It matters a bit, but nowhere near as it matters what you eat.

If you can find an eating pattern you're comfortable with, and you're still losing weight, it would be daft to worry about the tiny extra bit more you could theoretically possibly be losing by changing your eating pattern to one that you wouldn't be as comfortable with.
  • LisaMarieee
    LisaMarieee Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what time you eat, it just matters what you eat. What time I've ate has never affected my weight or my weight loss.
  • SCC88
    SCC88 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I would say it doesnt matter so much, I work til 2am and get up at noon. Ignore the times for a second and just split your meals up. I find it helps to decide the night before what you're going to eat the next day (obvs you can chop & change later if your tastebuds fancy different). Brekkie - largest meal ASAP because this breaks the night long fast and gets the metabolism going, then lunch slightly smaller and dinner the smallest - when your metabolism is in downtime. I also have an AM snack and a PM snack. However because I work late and dont get breaks, I eat my last meal whilst sitting in bed and I've still lost weight. However I sleep easier knowing that the meal isnt as big as some of the ones i had before my diet :laugh: xx
  • Amelda66
    Amelda66 Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm so glad to hear the general consensus is that it doesn't matter since I am a late night diner. I always wondered if it made a difference.