Toes/feet going numb

Options
juniperpeach
juniperpeach Posts: 3 Member
edited June 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I have started walking and walk/jogging, hoping to be able to run comfortably in a couple months but I'm working up to it slowly. If my feet or toes are going numb when I'm walking fast or jogging, is it my shoes or that I'm too heavy for my feet or should I be concerned there is some kind of circulation issue ...or is that normal? Anyone ever had that? :/

Replies

• MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I have had this happen quite often when I do not have the right kind of shoes or shoes that are worn out.
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Most likely type of shoes. My feet do the same whenever I wear the tennis shoes my parents buy me. I even try to loosen the laces as much as possible while not letting the shoe slip. My feet go numb after 10 minutes or so of running or elliptical. When I switch over to more comfortable shoes, they may take 30 minutes to go numb. I've yet to go out and buy shoes to meet my exact requirements since I don't often do cardio for more than 30 minutes. lol
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I get this. Check your shoes first. Make sure they are roomy enough. You want them roomy in the toes and tight on the heel. A good running store will help you.

I did all that, had a running gate analysis and finally went for a bone scan since my numbness was always there (whether or not I was doing the exercise)....For me, this is a sign that I have a stress fracture(s) in my tibia again.
  • jmarie1025
    jmarie1025 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have the right shoes. Go to a running store and get a gait analysis. Also Google different ways to lace your shoes. I was having numbing on the top of my foot and found a new way of lacing my shoes that has helped a lot. This is how I lace mine. I have a high arch m77xq42cr1sy.jpg
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    It could be a fit issue, and when you're ready for a new pair of shoes I recommend getting them professionally fitted.

BUT! I used to have a habit of lacing up my shoes too tightly which would result in my big toes going numb. So I cosign on different lacing techniques. I use Lock Laces (elastic shoelaces) in my hiking shoes and I like them a lot. (I cannot vouch for how well they work while running, but on the website they are shown being used for a variety of activities.)

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Usually worn shoes, incorrect fitted shoes, or too tightly laced shoes.
  • lpn2003
    lpn2003 Posts: 11 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    You're not alone! After 25 minutes on the Elliptical, my toes go numb & the bottom of my feet "burn" (left worse than right). The symptoms dissipate as soon as I start walking on the Treadmill! I can't understand how it could be the shoes if it only happens when I'm on the Elliptical!
  • paigeg150
    paigeg150 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The same thing was happening to me for the first 6-8 weeks of running, elliptical, bike, etc. I kept at it because it didn't necessarily hurt, just felt weird and annoying. I'm glad I did because it went away completely! I did buy two different pairs of sneakers and tested them and it didn't make a change. I think it may have been circulation related. I was not regularly working out for over a year before getting back at it. I hope it goes away for you too! Good luck!
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Your shoes don't fit correctly. Go to your local running store and get fitted for new shoes.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    My feet kept going numb when running until someone told me it was because my shoelaces were too tight. I changed the laces to elastic ones which solved the problem straight away!
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I have started walking and walk/jogging, hoping to be able to run comfortably in a couple months but I'm working up to it slowly. If my feet or toes are going numb when I'm walking fast or jogging, is it my shoes or that I'm too heavy for my feet or should I be concerned there is some kind of circulation issue ...or is that normal? Anyone ever had that? :/

Are you running/jogging on a treadmill, an elliptical, outside...?

I find that my feet will get sore/numb on an elliptical, but never on a treadmill or outside. However, this was a very frequent occurrence even doing a brisk walk until I got a gait analysis and a proper pair of running shoes. What a difference! I don't have any issues with numbness/pain while running at all now :smile:
  • Antd420
    Antd420 Posts: 161 Member
    Options

Everytime I do the Elliptical my toes go numb. Never really thought anything of it though.
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Shoes often too tight, too tightly laced or too narrow. Don't forget socks. Socks without a lot of stretch numb my toes.
  • BalletAndBarbells
    BalletAndBarbells Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Could be shoes but could also be spinal - see a good physio to check this out.