When to strength train during a running program

Options
Will_Run_for_Food
Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
edited June 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Runners: When do you strength train?

I am following a new program that is focused on 3 key runs/week, 2 non-weight bearing cross training exercises/week and one rest day...but it doesn't talk much about strength training. It says its important, but then it also says not to strength train on your non-running days or the day after a run. It does not specify when to strength train, but rather to "find what works for you." Fair enough...but there are only 7 days in a week!

The latest I seem to be reading elsewhere is to strength train on your running days (after your run), which I suppose makes sense, but who has that much time?? What works for you?

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I alternate weight days and running days taking Sundays as a day of rest.
  • dhowe1975
    dhowe1975 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing a half marathon training program that calls for runs on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. Cross training on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and rest on Sunday. For my cross training days, I do my weight training on those days, and take a true rest day on Sunday's. Hope this helps, and good luck. Happy running!!!
  • acampbe2umd
    acampbe2umd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I do a 4 day strength training split (M,T,TH,F) and do cardio after strength. I run 3 days per week and maybe 1 more day of cross training depending on the week. My runs are M,W,F with W being my long run and the other 2 being tempo runs only. I have maintained this kind of schedule for roughly 5 years, so strength training isn't new to me. For reference, I do not run more than half marathons.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think it is difficult to improve your running and seriously strength train at the same time. In my opinion, you need to decide which one has the priority, and which is to support the priority.
    That's because: If you run too much, you won't have energy for the gym. And, if you work real hard in the gym, it will effect your runs, negatively, the next day.
    Mind you, I am talking about when one lifts heavy, as you would when you are trying to build muscle.
    I run three to four days a week and lift two days a week, because my priority is to improve my running. I know that one or two of those running days I'll be somewhat slow because of the weight training the day before. But, that is okay because overall I think I benefit from the cross-training and I still have two running days when I can work on pace or whatever.
  • cyndit1
    cyndit1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I do a recovery run/spin class on Monday, easy run and lift on tuesday, rest wednesday, thursday is speedwork and lift or just speedwork if its a long session, Friday is spin class and lifting if I didn't lift thursday and if I did its just core, Saturday is a long run and Sunday is spin and lifting. I lift to support my running. It has made a HUGE difference in my runs.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    I alternate weight days and running days taking Sundays as a day of rest.

Me too. Except I take off Mondays.