Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Debate on sugar that seems to support weight loss side effect and more?

Options
2»

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Back to the subject of this D-Ribose sugar thread.

To keep down cost I seldom do a ketone blood level test I just use the $15 alcohol breath analyzer to track my acetone levels as to where I am in nutritional ketosis or not.

Last night when I got home I blew 0.041 and about 30 minutes after I dissolved 5 grams of D-Ribose sugar in my mouth I blew 0.030.

Some question has been raised if the body uses the 5 carbon Ribose like it uses the 6 carbon sugars. That I still do not know but I do know in my body D-Ribose acts as just another carb in that I will decrease my ketone level.

I have never taken more than 60 grams in one day because no research I have found used more than 60 grams daily over time.

Dr. Myhill recommended dosage of 5 grams 3x daily seems to be the norm that other doctors also recommend.

I can not detect if the D-Ribose sugar is doing anything for me and expect my recent weight loss after maintaining at 200 pounds for the last year on 2500 calories daily is due to the heat and my taste for fats greatly reduction.

Some if the literature talks about the sugar causing a surge in Insulin but without causing a surge in glucose level which is while one with low glucose levels need to be aware of this apparent medical fact about D-Ribose sugar. I sense this myself but since I typically am in the 80-90's range it does not impact my balance in my case. If one was at 60 level of glucose that would be why one should only do it with a licensed health care professional.

If one is interested in D-Ribose there is research out there to read. I notice reviews by Ribose users on Amazon are mixed and many contain no useful info when they just say it shipped fast.
  • paulgads82
    paulgads82 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I have an illness this is suggested for. I will not take it until I speak to my doctor nor would I on Myhill's advice. There is a huge debate about the validity of self report in CFS trials, both with pharmaceutical treatments (Rituximab) and behavioural (Graded Exercise Therapy) as well as supplements like D Ribose. Dr Myhill is just an individual private doctor and, unless something has changed, has never actually published anything. Although this isn't a discussion on CFS it's something I've had for 8 years so I've built up a knowledge base, Myhill is in it and she's not credible.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    When doing research on any subject the quality of the source is not a concern when reading for info only.
    Say, what? Why would you bother reading at all, then, if the quality of the info isn't of concern? <baffled>

It's called exploratory research and is useful in creating one's own research design. You survey all the information currently available, not necessarily on the basis of validity, but to identify areas for further exploration. It's often done by researchers creating surveys to reduce potential blindspots by not asking the right questions, and therefore preventing them from collecting data that could be of use to them.

Well if Gale's 'research' is exploratory in nature as you seem to suggest, why does he only post links that support his point of view? That sounds more qualitative to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploratory_research

TL;DR: You can't suck and blow at the same time. :)

Charlie did you not realize you are one the Debate forum. :)

How is a list of unreviewed or vetted links a "debate" topic? I just don't understand. You also ask:
    If someone personal experience of any kind with D-Ribose or have studied the subject I would be interested in hearing them. Others feel free to post as well.

This seems more appropriate to the general health questions topic, and putting it in debate may be why people (including me) were reading it as an argument for using d-ribose or a kind of recommendation.

I wonder if it would be useful to have a thread in this topic to discuss (or debate) the kinds of threads that ought to be started here, vs. the other sections. (Obviously some get moved because they develop into debate.)
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    kgeyser wrote: »
    When doing research on any subject the quality of the source is not a concern when reading for info only.
    Say, what? Why would you bother reading at all, then, if the quality of the info isn't of concern? <baffled>

It's called exploratory research and is useful in creating one's own research design. You survey all the information currently available, not necessarily on the basis of validity, but to identify areas for further exploration. It's often done by researchers creating surveys to reduce potential blindspots by not asking the right questions, and therefore preventing them from collecting data that could be of use to them.

Well if Gale's 'research' is exploratory in nature as you seem to suggest, why does he only post links that support his point of view? That sounds more qualitative to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploratory_research

TL;DR: You can't suck and blow at the same time. :)

Charlie did you not realize you are one the Debate forum. :)

How is a list of unreviewed or vetted links a "debate" topic? I just don't understand. You also ask:
    If someone personal experience of any kind with D-Ribose or have studied the subject I would be interested in hearing them. Others feel free to post as well.

This seems more appropriate to the general health questions topic, and putting it in debate may be why people (including me) were reading it as an argument for using d-ribose or a kind of recommendation.

I wonder if it would be useful to have a thread in this topic to discuss (or debate) the kinds of threads that ought to be started here, vs. the other sections. (Obviously some get moved because they develop into debate.)

This is a good idea, but I think people would still start whatever threads they want here. :/
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    After eating one kilo of D-Ribose 5 carbon sugar over the last four weeks I have lost about 8 pounds but I can not say it was due to D-Ribose or not. At the same time I started eating this new carb source I cut way back on fats for some reason. I ate between 15-60 grams of D-Ribose most days.

I am not sure if it helped me in anyway. About the same time I started eating more whole carbs as well so basically I have been out of the state of nutritional ketosis for about one month while losing this weight.

I had some return of joint and muscle pain and my softer skin has hardened up some with some dermatitis like skin patches.

Going forward I may use 5 grams each morning for heart health prevention and will be keeping my daily carbs < 50 grams so I can stay in nutritional ketosis. I have one people testing it for chronic fatigue.

It is strange in how it seems to cause an Insulin spike but yet no glucose spike like regular 6-carbon sugar.