Protein

Options
Hi need some ideas on how to get more protein and less carbs into my diet. I don't eat meat and find it difficult to find food for lunched which are highter in protein than carbs. I'm really struggling to cut my carbs and increase my protein. I really only like salmon fish wise but believe you should only have 2 portions a week. And I'm not a huge fan of eggs and can't eat them poached or boiled! Help!

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, you've cut out pretty much everything that isn't going to provide a buttload of carbs or fat along with the protein. You might want to find a decent powder if you're not willing to delve into meats, and you can't afford further carbs.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'm a big fan of seitan. Not everyone can eat gluten, but for those that can, it's a great protein source with minimal carbs.

*ETA: Pure gluten is 75 grams of protein per 100 grams. Seitan varies based on ingredients. My recipe is 26grams of protein and 7 of carbs per 100 grams (most of that is water weight from preparation)

There are plenty of ways to get protein from non-meat sources that are not carb heavy... there are plenty of ways to get protein from non meat sources that are ridiculously carb heavy.

It's all about what you eat.

*shrug*

Many people always insists that there are no low carb plant based proteins, which is patently not true... but I'm also guessing that many haven't lived on plant proteins exclusively either. (That's ok, people can eat what they want, but food and nutrition is ridiculously varied and pretty much anything is possible if you take the time to figure out how to do it)

*Edited to clarify an idea and because words are hard.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    If you're purely looking for protein purely to hit a protein goal then you'll probably need to go to shakes and powders to get more protein without the carbs.

If you're looking for protein that will fill you up for lunch that doesn't have many carbs than you're going to be out of luck.

Beans aren't horrible, but they're still 2 carbs to 1 protein.

Scrambled egg whites maybe?
  • JeffMatchett
    JeffMatchett Posts: 43 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Make egg whites and put them in a blender with protein powder, milk and a banana in the morning. I do this almost every day. Of course blended eggs is a big turn off for some people I tell. This way you get some actual food protein but you don't have to do the work of chewing it.
  • debeaniebaby
    debeaniebaby Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Umm I could cope with egg white it's the yolk I hate! Thanks
  • debeaniebaby
    Options
    I'm a big fan of seitan. Not everyone can eat gluten, but for those that can, it's a great protein source with minimal carbs.

*ETA: Pure gluten is 75 grams of protein per 100 grams. Seitan varies based on ingredients. My recipe is 26grams of protein and 7 of carbs per 100 grams (most of that is water weight from preparation)

There are plenty of ways to get protein from non-meat sources that are not carb heavy... there are plenty of ways to get protein from non meat sources that are ridiculously carb heavy.

*shrug*

Many people always insists that there are no low carb plant based proteins, which is patently not true... but I'm also guessing that many haven't lived on plant proteins exclusively either. (That's ok, people can eat what they want, but food and nutrition is ridiculously varied and pretty much anything is possible if you take the time to figure out how to do it)

*shrug*

• debeaniebaby
    Options
    Thanks everyone looks like I am going to need to turn to protein drinks then as I already struggle to meet my protein goals!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It is o.k. to eat salmon.
    The recommendations are about Tuna twice a week (a huge fish high in the food chain).
    http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/safe-eat-tuna-8130.html
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/493505-how-often-can-you-eat-canned-salmon/
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    It is o.k. to eat salmon.
    The recommendations are about Tuna twice a week (a huge fish high in the food chain).
    http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/safe-eat-tuna-8130.html
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/493505-how-often-can-you-eat-canned-salmon/

Even with tuna, it's pretty up in the air. The only currently recommended maximums apply to small children and breastfeeding/pregnant women. Interestingly, Selenium has shown the ability to bind to and neutralize methylmercury. Tuna happens to be a pretty rich source of Selenium.
  • Lindzlashes
    Lindzlashes Posts: 3 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hi

I found this article really good recently! All meat free high protein planted based sources.
    http://highproteinfoodshop.com/index.php/2016/05/11/28-essential-meatless-high-protein-foods/

Basically pulses, beans, lentils. Greek yogurt, cream cheese are also really high in protein, low in carbs too.

In regards to protein shakes that are low in carb a lot of me and my friends use a company called Protein Princess. Fab as high in protein, but only 1g carbs and really low calories. Taste fab too. Heres the link. Slightly higher price, but because premium ingredients.

http://www.proteinprincessuk.co.uk/
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I have been making a dozen egg cups with lots of veggies. You can use eggbeaters if you prefer. Delicious and satisfying.