Come on, mfp. 1200?

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    @WinoGelato You're set to active on here, plus eat back all of your fitbit calories, right? So the double dipping thing i read on here sometimes is crap?
    For example: If you set your activity goal to active, then this already includes all/most of your exercise. But then again, you wouldn't get any positive adjustments until you surpass the 'active' level, correct?

That's correct. I initially was set at sedentary when I got my FitBit and at the time was averaging 10k per day and really high calorie adjustments which I found of doubting. HeyBales gave me the good advice to change setting to lightly active to have a higher initial baseline of calories so that the exercise adjustments were more representative of my purposeful exercise, not the steps I get so much from daily activity, which is probably about 7-8k in steps from chasing my kids, taking them to school, walking in and out and around my office building, etc. now I average 15k steps and am set to active and I didn't have a positive adjustment today until after I passed 7,500 steps. My adjustments are usually 300 or so, I eat them back, and I've never had problems with stalls.

Hmm, I'm going to give this a try just to see if it changes anything! I'm at sedentary but I walk over 15K steps per day as well. I'll have to see what playing with the higher baseline at the start of the day is like.

It's sort of like switching to TDEE method from MFP method. My activity is pretty steady, and I'd like to just have those cals built in at the beginning of the day so that I can plan for them. Seeing adjustments of 600-800 was shocking to me. I still get exercise adjustments even beyond the baseline, but they are representative of the true exercise.

If everything is set up right it should be pretty much a wash, I just like to plan for it and use negative cals to correct for when I'm at lower activity levels. Although Other than days when I've been at deaths door I don't think I've ever finished the day with a negative adjustment...
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    @WinoGelato You're set to active on here, plus eat back all of your fitbit calories, right? So the double dipping thing i read on here sometimes is crap?
    For example: If you set your activity goal to active, then this already includes all/most of your exercise. But then again, you wouldn't get any positive adjustments until you surpass the 'active' level, correct?

That's correct. I initially was set at sedentary when I got my FitBit and at the time was averaging 10k per day and really high calorie adjustments which I found of doubting. HeyBales gave me the good advice to change setting to lightly active to have a higher initial baseline of calories so that the exercise adjustments were more representative of my purposeful exercise, not the steps I get so much from daily activity, which is probably about 7-8k in steps from chasing my kids, taking them to school, walking in and out and around my office building, etc. now I average 15k steps and am set to active and I didn't have a positive adjustment today until after I passed 7,500 steps. My adjustments are usually 300 or so, I eat them back, and I've never had problems with stalls.

Hmm, I'm going to give this a try just to see if it changes anything! I'm at sedentary but I walk over 15K steps per day as well. I'll have to see what playing with the higher baseline at the start of the day is like.

Same here, I got over 25000 steps yesterday, and set to sedentary. I set myself to lightly active for a short time, but it put put too much pressure on me to keep it up day in day out, plus I turn into sloth mode at around 5pm and was losing at least a couple hundred calories every night.

Do you have your Fitbit food plan set to Sedentary or Personalized? I found that changing it to Sedentary from Personalized avoided the roller coaster adjustments to MFP.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Same here, I got over 25000 steps yesterday, and set to sedentary. I set myself to lightly active for a short time, but it put put too much pressure on me to keep it up day in day out, plus I turn into sloth mode at around 5pm and was losing at least a couple hundred calories every night.

Do you have your Fitbit food plan set to Sedentary or Personalized? I found that changing it to Sedentary from Personalized avoided the roller coaster adjustments to MFP.

Yes, i have fitbit set to sedentary too.

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options

It's sort of like switching to TDEE method from MFP method. My activity is pretty steady, and I'd like to just have those cals built in at the beginning of the day so that I can plan for them. Seeing adjustments of 600-800 was shocking to me. I still get exercise adjustments even beyond the baseline, but they are representative of the true exercise.

If everything is set up right it should be pretty much a wash, I just like to plan for it and use negative cals to correct for when I'm at lower activity levels. Although Other than days when I've been at deaths door I don't think I've ever finished the day with a negative adjustment...

I think this may work better for me because I plan ahead, but the huge adjustments (usually 700, but up to 1200 on days where I hit 25 to 30K steps) are weirding me out so I always leave a couple of hundred at the end of the day unless I'm really hungry. The problem now is that I'm 109 pounds and steadily losing weight when I don't want to. I'm so used to deficits for the past year that I feel like seeing a smaller adjustment will help me accept my calorie allowance as reality.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Shana67 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    It isn't for everyone. I have a fairly active job, so 1200 would not work for me. Generally those who are smaller and older are ideal for that amount.

Well. I'm not small, nor am I old, and it is working just fine. I workout 6x/week for an hour each time. Personally, I just think one needs to get used to feeling mildly hungry most of the time. *shrugs*

If you are really eating 1200 you are losing muscle and fat...no thanks.

I prefer to keep my muscle and lose at a slower rate. *shrugs*

and there is no reason to feel even "mildly hungry" most of the time...it's like you are punishing yourself for gaining weight. SMH

OP your goal should be to eat as much food as possible and still lose a reasonable amount of weight....that way you know you aren't losing as much muscle as fat....which in the long run is not a good thing.

When I start here I was at the same weight...I chose 1lb a week...got the same calorie goal as you and it was great...I ate back exercise calories, was never hungry, and I have lost 50+ lbs and have kept most of my muscle.

^^ great reply @SezxyStef
    and I am nodding head vigorously in agreement :smile:

Samesies...

Im always intrigued as to why people defend the 1200 cal goal? If it is possible to eat more and still lose, why do people not want to try? Why would you want to be "mildly hungry" all the time. That sounds miserable.

When I first started out on this site I was eating maybe 1100 to 1300 calories but not eating back exercise calories so it was more like 900 net. I lost weight but it didn't stay off. I'm so much happier now eating more and slowly losing weight. Speaking for me, back when I was eating little I was just scared. I kept thinking I had to eat little to lose weight, God forbid I ate 1500-1900, I'd feel like I was going to gain everything back in an instant.

My relationship with food is much better now.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Savyna wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Shana67 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    It isn't for everyone. I have a fairly active job, so 1200 would not work for me. Generally those who are smaller and older are ideal for that amount.

Well. I'm not small, nor am I old, and it is working just fine. I workout 6x/week for an hour each time. Personally, I just think one needs to get used to feeling mildly hungry most of the time. *shrugs*

If you are really eating 1200 you are losing muscle and fat...no thanks.

I prefer to keep my muscle and lose at a slower rate. *shrugs*

and there is no reason to feel even "mildly hungry" most of the time...it's like you are punishing yourself for gaining weight. SMH

OP your goal should be to eat as much food as possible and still lose a reasonable amount of weight....that way you know you aren't losing as much muscle as fat....which in the long run is not a good thing.

When I start here I was at the same weight...I chose 1lb a week...got the same calorie goal as you and it was great...I ate back exercise calories, was never hungry, and I have lost 50+ lbs and have kept most of my muscle.

^^ great reply @SezxyStef
    and I am nodding head vigorously in agreement :smile:

Samesies...

Im always intrigued as to why people defend the 1200 cal goal? If it is possible to eat more and still lose, why do people not want to try? Why would you want to be "mildly hungry" all the time. That sounds miserable.

When I first started out on this site I was eating maybe 1100 to 1300 calories but not eating back exercise calories so it was more like 900 net. I lost weight but it didn't stay off. I'm so much happier now eating more and slowly losing weight. Speaking for me, back when I was eating little I was just scared. I kept thinking I had to eat little to lose weight, God forbid I ate 1500-1900, I'd feel like I was going to gain everything back in an instant.

My relationship with food is much better now.

I appreciate you posting this, and I'm glad you are losing weight and enjoying food! It is quite liberating isn't it?
  • DeanneScott2
    DeanneScott2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is 1,494. I have an office job and am 5'3" and weigh about 130 (started at 155). So if I want to continue to get to my goal (125) I really have to eat at 1,200. Small but not old, work out 4 times a week. And you can eat and not get hungry on 1200 as well. It is just about making the right choices.

I don't know if that TDEE calculation is correct, where did you get it from? I'm 5'2 and 120, and while I'm pretty active, I wasn't always. When I started and wasn't really exercising at all I calculated my TDEE to be around 1800. MFP estimates my sedentary, non exercise maintenance calories to be around 1650.

^^ I agree, sounds more like your NEAT (i.e your BMR + the energy used from normal daily moving around)? I'm similar height and weight (I'm 47yrs) and my TDEE is between 2100-2400 depending on how active my day is.

Oh really? I just found a online calculator, so had no real idea. Well if it isn't that low then that is good news :)
  • lexylondon
    lexylondon Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    A long, sad time ago when I was eating 1200 and not eating back exercise calories, I had no "problems" with it either. Then I started lifting, and I turned into a ravenous monster who couldn't stick to 1200 no matter how hard I tried. I started eating more. My 5K time dropped by 2 minutes. I lost less hair to the shower drain. My nails didn't break as easily. I really wasn't feeling miserable and exhausted on 1200 for the four months or so that I did it, but my overall well-being improved when I started eating more - not in big dramatic ways, but in ways that made me realize that eating a couple hundred more calories was a good idea.

I will be doing more lifting in about 7 weeks once I'm at maintenance calories.
  • lexylondon
    Options
    kronin23 wrote: »
    I think 1200 calories is too low...

Long term I would agree. Short term I believe it is ok.
  • lexylondon
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I have had no issues with 1200 calories a day, in fact when my head is in the game I am left with 500 calories at night to find something to eat....I drink lots of water and it fills me up!

I never thought that 1200 might be too low for some people, hopefully you find what works for you!

Your stomach feels full, so what? I hope you don't think that lots of water (in lieu of food) is supporting existing lean muscle mass.

Google your BMR (basal metabolic rate). These are the calories your body requires for basic bodily function....heart, lungs, kidneys, etc.

1200 is a one-size-fits-all. Petite women.....sure. Elderly women.....sure. Every woman......nope.

I know my BMR and TDEE. MFP set my calories at 1200 to lose 1kg a week. So that's what I'm doing. For a total of 14wks, 7.of which has passed. I will then be up to around 1800 or so calories I believe, but I will probably eat more as I will be increasing my weight lifting and fitness will have improved.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    lexylondon wrote: »
    A long, sad time ago when I was eating 1200 and not eating back exercise calories, I had no "problems" with it either. Then I started lifting, and I turned into a ravenous monster who couldn't stick to 1200 no matter how hard I tried. I started eating more. My 5K time dropped by 2 minutes. I lost less hair to the shower drain. My nails didn't break as easily. I really wasn't feeling miserable and exhausted on 1200 for the four months or so that I did it, but my overall well-being improved when I started eating more - not in big dramatic ways, but in ways that made me realize that eating a couple hundred more calories was a good idea.

Why not start now?
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I have had no issues with 1200 calories a day, in fact when my head is in the game I am left with 500 calories at night to find something to eat....I drink lots of water and it fills me up!

I never thought that 1200 might be too low for some people, hopefully you find what works for you!

Your stomach feels full, so what? I hope you don't think that lots of water (in lieu of food) is supporting existing lean muscle mass.

Google your BMR (basal metabolic rate). These are the calories your body requires for basic bodily function....heart, lungs, kidneys, etc.

1200 is a one-size-fits-all. Petite women.....sure. Elderly women.....sure. Every woman......nope.

I know my BMR and TDEE. MFP set my calories at 1200 to lose 1kg a week. So that's what I'm doing. For a total of 14wks, 7.of which has passed. I will then be up to around 1800 or so calories I believe, but I will probably eat more as I will be increasing my weight lifting and fitness will have improved.

If you are eating 1200 and losing 1 kg per week then you have a 1000 cal deficit from your maintenance. You should up your calories to 2200, not 1800. You will likely still be in a deficit at 1800.

Also that's a lot of cals to add all of a sudden which is why as people get closer to their goal weight it is advised to reduce their deficit and only aim to lose 1 lb/week or 0.5 lb/week. People often experience difficulty working in that many extra calories, they often see a rebound in scale weight from glycogen stores being replenished. A gradual increase in calories is recommended.
  • lexylondon
    Options

Why not start now?

Oh my gosh! Lol because I don't want to, I want to lose 7 more kgs and then start. Why? Because I am an independent grown adult who can do what I Like, right, wrong, or otherwise.

And in regards to previous comment saying people defend 1200 like it's the only way to lose weight, I'm well aware I could eat more and lose like a half a kg a week instead of the 1kg a week I'm losing. That's obvious. I just don't want to do it that way. If everyone else wants to take it slower. It's probably smarter and good for them but that's not what I have chosen, and I'm very pleased with my decision.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Why not start now?

Oh my gosh! Lol because I don't want to, I want to lose 7 more kgs and then start. Why? Because I am an independent grown adult who can do what I Like, right, wrong, or otherwise.

And in regards to previous comment saying people defend 1200 like it's the only way to lose weight, I'm well aware I could eat more and lose like a half a kg a week instead of the 1kg a week I'm losing. That's obvious. I just don't want to do it that way. If everyone else wants to take it slower. It's probably smarter and good for them but that's not what I have chosen, and I'm very pleased with my decision.

Someone asking you why you've made a certain decision isn't challenging your right to make your decision. They're just asking why.
  • lexylondon
    Options

Why not start now?

Someone asking you why you've made a certain decision isn't challenging your right to make your decision. They're just asking why.

True...I suppose previous commenters lecturing me (when I don't recall asking for advice) has got me on defence mode. I'm on a random weight loss app, so why I care I don't know. Think I'm just sick of living in a nanny state where everyone feels they can tell you how to live your life and what to do with your own body.

I wish everyone the best if health..

Ciao
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Why not start now?

True...I suppose previous commenters lecturing me (when I don't recall asking for advice) has got me on defence mode. I'm on a random weight loss app, so why I care I don't know. Think I'm just sick of living in a nanny state where everyone feels they can tell you how to live your life and what to do with your own body.

Ciao

I don't think anyone here works for the state. Even if they do, presumably they are posting here in a private capacity -- not a governmental one.
  • Ob30470z
    Ob30470z Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I am 5"10, (female) 206 pounds and have lost just under a stone in two months. I eat around 1500 (gross) a day and I exercise heavily 5-6 days a week (burning on average about 700 Cals-I wear a chest strap. I realise this is a large deficit, but then I can relax it a little at the weekends. I have gained a pound of muscle with this deficit. So yes, too big a deficit can cause muscle loss, but I believe you can counter act this by making sure you are doing enough weight lifting / resistance training to at least maintain it.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options

Why not start now?

Ciao

Ha! The aggressiveness here about other people's plates is bizarre.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Why not start now?

Ciao

these aren't lectures they are statements of fact and advice due to knowing what losing too fast does...

you have chosen one of the hardest paths for weight loss...have at it's your body but for those of us who chose that path previous to this new path we know where it's heading.

You want to lift weights after you are done losing ....have at. You will need to so you can possibly build some of the lean mass you are currently losing.

and why you don't start now is obvious...you can't with such a steep deficit....and if you did try it would be a disaster..but I do wish you all the best....and hope you get to the end of this weight loss journey and find maintenance and keep the weight off....
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Ob30470z wrote: »
    For what it's worth, I am 5"10, (female) 206 pounds and have lost just under a stone in two months. I eat around 1500 (gross) a day and I exercise heavily 5-6 days a week (burning on average about 700 Cals-I wear a chest strap. I realise this is a large deficit, but then I can relax it a little at the weekends. I have gained a pound of muscle with this deficit. So yes, too big a deficit can cause muscle loss, but I believe you can counter act this by making sure you are doing enough weight lifting / resistance training to at least maintain it.

What are you doing when you work out?

Newbie gains are common when you first start lifting, but they don't last long. Especially if you're only netting 800 calories.