Not new but question about low carb and protein

Options
mgalley
mgalley Posts: 7 Member
I've been slowing building up confidence in the low carb approach. I see that I am generally going over on protein and fat (which is to be expected) and the sugar and carbs are down (which is my immediate goal). Is too much protein a bad thing? I feel like the majority of carbs I take in are from vegetables. I read that was ok but not sure if I am sabotaging myself.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    unless you have issues with your kidneys too much protein is not a big deal.

as for the low carb not sure never really followed a low carb diet on purpose...I've done low carb and like you it was just veggies.
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    I kinda have the same question...hopefully someone can answer!
    I didn't start off as low carb but I notice my protein and fats are higher than what MFP recommends and my carbs about half of what they recommend. I'm loosing weight at a normal pace, I just want to know if it's happening for the wrong reasons.

Great question! Hopefully someone has a great answer!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    joans1976 wrote: »
    I didn't start off as low carb but I notice my protein and fats are higher than what MFP recommends and my carbs about half of what they recommend. I'm loosing weight at a normal pace, I just want to know if it's happening for the wrong reasons.

You aren't losing "for the wrong reasons". You are losing because of a caloric deficit, not your macro profile. MFP's defaults are also kinda bleh, imo. Then again, I've never been a fan of "balanced" macros, especially if running with any kind of exercise program (especially lifting).
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    ^^^^thank you!
  • Gym4life1972
    Gym4life1972 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Are you thinking low enough carbs to enter Ketosis? If so the macros really do count
  • mgalley
    Options
    I'm trying to stay below 50, but finding a lot of the veg brings me over on many days.
  • drps17
    drps17 Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Vegetables fall into 2 categories - starchy (potatoes, green peas, yams, winter squash, corn) and non-starchy.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

MFP macro targets are based on RDA minimums...so if you do go over it's not a big deal at all...
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I just got back to a low carb/high fat approach this week. I followed Atkins several years ago but didn't worry about portion control so it wasn't sustainable. This time I am being a little more relaxed about carbs but also counting calories. You may want to try going to your goals and manually adjusting your macros so they fit what you're trying to achieve. I am currently set up at 15% carbs, 55% fat and 30% protein. I am getting the majority of my carbs from veggies, which I try to have at every meal. I also plan to continue to eat some fruit, because I enjoy it just too much to give it up. I am also focusing on the fiber number, trying to make sure I get 25g/day.
  • mgalley
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. These are things I need to learn about.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    mgalley wrote: »
    I'm trying to stay below 50, but finding a lot of the veg brings me over on many days.

Remember that the fiber in veg and other foods helps to balance out your carbs, subtract your fiber from your total grams to get your net carbs.
  • AnnieWilliams4
    AnnieWilliams4 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

MFP macro targets are based on RDA minimums...so if you do go over it's not a big deal at all...

She's right MFP base is a minimum and they use a USDA 2000 calorie base diet. When I log my own food it tends to be off. I read the labels and of course find the Right foods to eat. My suggestion first would be to keep a written diary of the foods you eat. And keep track of the oils and sugars. Also find the amount of calories you wish to consume and have a goal set
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    OP, sounds like your slow and steady approach is working well for you so congrats on that. I also suggest that you check out the main low carber daily forum group here in MFP. It's where most of us Ketofiles tend to hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/discussions/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group