Lose 40 lbs in 6 months

Options
Hi I'm Kelly. Im 5'5" and 240 lbs. And I'm wanting to set my goal at 40 lbs in 6 months. Would that be doable? It would be even better to get some of you to join me. If you would like.

Instagram: keljosjourney

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    You'd have to lose 1.5lbs a week with a deficit of 750 a day. It would be easier to lose a pound a week, not to mention better for you and it would result in less lean mass losses, which to be honest Is a very big deal if you're looking to make your body more appealing. For lack of a better word.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    You'd have to lose 1.5lbs a week with a deficit of 750 a day. It would be easier to lose a pound a week, not to mention better for you and it would result in less lean mass losses, which to be honest Is a very big deal if you're looking to make your body more appealing. For lack of a better word.

she's 240

1.5lbs is not extreme at that size and with adequate progressive resistance and protein she should be able to minimise muscle loss - although clearly will lose some.

I think a 750 defecit is an excellent option - even 1000 wouldn't worry me unduly
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can do that.

I am normally not a fan of time-based weight loss goals but yours is conservative enough that I can get behind it. I applaud you for making a sensible goal. It's kind of a rare thing to see.
  • mandysfinch
    mandysfinch Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would love to try and do this with you I'm 191 lbs now and have to lose as much as I can by November for my first bridesmaid dress fitting (sisters wedding in January 17)- but wanting to look to lifetime health also!
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    jessef593 wrote: »

she's 240

1.5lbs is not extreme at that size and with adequate progressive resistance and protein she should be able to minimise muscle loss - although clearly will lose some.

I think a 750 defecit is an excellent option - even 1000 wouldn't worry me unduly

Alternatively, she could start at 1,000 and taper down to 500 as she gets closer to her goal weight.
  • ashlimb7
    ashlimb7 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What is defecit is that calories?
  • ashlimb7
    ashlimb7 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Kelly. Im 5'5" and 240 lbs. And I'm wanting to set my goal at 40 lbs in 6 months. Would that be doable? It would be even better to get some of you to join me. If you would like.

I would love to join you as well and hopefully we can do it! What kind of diet will you be doing?
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    ashlimb7 wrote: »
    What is defecit is that calories?

A deficit is the amount of calories less you eat per day to reach your goal.

If your body burns 2000 calories a day with all you do, a 500 deficit puts you at 1500 calories. 500 = your deficit.
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    The results will come fast at first. You could set a higher calorie reduction goal at first, say 7000+ a week. As the weight drops you'll probably want to adjust.

Weight is important. Creating muscle to keep the weight off is possibly more important.
  • GoldenLennon
    GoldenLennon Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    ashlimb7 wrote: »

I would love to join you as well and hopefully we can do it! What kind of diet will you be doing?

I would love for you to join y'all :smile: it's not really a diet more of making small changes and switching up with some alternatives of my favorite foods
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    Options
    It's doable. It all depends on your motivation and ability to stick with your diet/exercise program. If you don't have what it takes to do it yourself, hire a trainer.

FYI, I lost 40 lbs in 5 months - - 198 to 158 - - on a 2000 cal diet doing cardio and strength training @ day for a net intake of about 1500 cals/day.

Did this 3 yrs ago and the weight gradually came back over that time period. Knew what was happening; just got too lazy to do anything about until I hit 196 - 200 is my redline.

So, I just went back to my old program. Cut out all alcohol, refined sugar and processed grains/starches. Started counting cals w/MFP again limiting intake to 2000 cals - - 40% carb, 20% fat and 40% protein. And started doing 30 mins of bike spinning at 22mph a day in target heart rate range and started doing strength training every other day.

Doing this, I've already lost 16 lbs in 6 wks - - 196 to 180 - - and I only have 5 lbs to go to reach my target of 175, which is a much healthier & realistic weight for me. Went crazy w/weight loss the last time; 158 was way too low.

Anyway, the only reason that I've provided all this background is to provide you w/proof that your goal is doable and to provide you w/an example of how to go about doing it.

Good luck!

• lehcar55
    lehcar55 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Hi Kelly & Ashlimb7, I would love to join yous. I'm Rachel, 5'1" and 198 lbs. My goal is to lose 55lbs overall, so a goal loss of 40lb by year end would be awesome. :)
  • NancyG29
    NancyG29 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good Luck to you and I too agree that it is doable. I started the Low Carb diet on June 16, 2016 and it is now June
    June 30th and I have Lost 11.2 lbs. My short term goal is to get to 220 and long term goal is to get to 180 for now. The day before I started my Low Carb Diet, I weighed in at 250.2 lbs. Now at 238.8 in 2 weeks !
  • illyich
    illyich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    While it is possible to lose weight by making 'small changes,' I doubt you'll make significant enough changes to drop 40 pounds over the course of a year, much less six months. As someone who has dropped 60 pounds and then stupidly put them back on, track everything accurately.

• haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5", 53 years old, and have lost almost 35 pounds in six months. Started at 175 pounds, now just a shade over 140. So I did (pretty close) to what you want to do. My calories were set at 1200 and I ate back about half of my exercise calories. I weightlift twice a week to maintain as much muscle as possible, and I walk 5-7 miles daily. Diligent tracking (use a food scale) is the key.