Getting a six pack on as little effort as possible

Options
2»

Replies

• srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    As someone else said great results require great effort. No offense but from your comments it sounds like you are not willing to pit in the effort.

You can get in better shape doing what you're talking about, but most likely not 6 pack abs shape.

Hope I'm wrong.

Me too. I have a lot of free time during the day and need a new hobby. If anything I want to get stronger so I have less likelihood of hurting myself at my physical labor job at night
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    The contradictions between ops statements are amazing....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Op do you also want to be rich while just working part time?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    srecupid wrote: »
    Erik8484 wrote: »
    srecupid wrote: »
    Erik8484 wrote: »
    I think you could probably achieve a pretty good look with 3 hours of structured strength training at the gym, regularly targetting your core at home, and making appropriate food choices.

It'll undoubtedly take a long time, but as someone else mentioned, if it was easy you wouldn't think of that body type as being exceptional, you would think of it as being normal.

I work alot of shifts like 6-midnight. I live a mile from the gym and most days after I work i'm not fully awake and ready to go until noon. It takes 20 minutes to walk to the gym maybe 5 to run to the gym but, I have a lot of free time during the day and am now locked into a contract for 2 years which isn't idea but, honestly sometimes you need to jump out of a plane to fly. If i could cut my wakeup time in half and look good in the process i'm all for it. I lost 75 pounds because one day i was driving home and was like *kitten* it enough is enough and just went to town. I am bored out of my skull lately and need a new hobby. Might as well make myself better in the process.

So spend more than 3 hours a week going to the gym.

Hey man you're probably right. I'm just trying to get the ratio of effort to results right. You only live once and if you have 24 hours in a day but, spend 8 of it looking like the rock i'm not sure that's a good trade off. I didn't mean to make it sound like laziness. I listened to a Joe Rogan podcast not long ago where there was a guy Steven Maxwell I think it was who talked about getting the most from the least amount of effort. Like some people focus on "how can i eat the most?" while he focuses on "how little can i eat?" . i know it's a bad summation but, that's kind of how i feel. How can i get the best results at the gym while at the same time not spending my precious HP (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_(gaming)) at the gym? But, then again maybe I will love it.

I don't even understand what you are saying here. Are you talking about looking like The Rock or a rock?

dwayne-johnson-muscles-240x300.jpgOR rock-art.jpg
  • SassyMommasaurus
    SassyMommasaurus Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Little effort as possible....I'm not sure they make ab implants so work your *kitten* off if you want it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Do you have any idea how much Stephen Amell trains? Exceptional looks take exceptional efforts. If an hour 3 times a week could do that, every second person would look like him.

Damn, I know I would, and I'm a woman. Since it's come up, let's take a moment to appreciate it.

2d8c15dc05353c0192b970c1dec53060.jpg

I'm just quoting this because it needs quoting.
    I have such a hard on for him.

#nofuckingshame
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    If you are bored and have lots of free time (which you say you do) look up a training program and get to work. Its not always about working out for the longest amount of time, but the quality of work you put in. I'm thinking of something like HIIT and weight lifting--but find a structured program.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    1 hour, 3 days a week is a pretty common lifting schedule. Lifting wise I typically go for 4 sessions at around 45-50 minutes so its not out of the question.

Its not so much the amount of time you want to train that worries me but the attitude of willingness to do more. You need to know if you are looking to put on some appreciable muscle you are playing a long term game and patience, consistency, and dedication is required. Your diet will need to be on point too since you will be less active (unless you have an active job). You will likely need to lose some more weight to reveal your abs. If you want to then add muscle, it will be a process of adding mass and cutting fat while following a progressive resistance lifting program until you get to where you want to be.

Bullet Points
    * Start a compound lifting program focusing on progressive resistance
    * Eat for your goals ( deficit to lose fat, surplus to add mass)
    * Eat adequate protein (Somewhere between .6-1g /lb of lean mass depending on who you talk to)

Shout out to my favorite information site when it comes to this stuff (no affiliaton)

aworkoutroutine.com
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I saw your thread about struggling with maintenance op. All I wanted to add/emphasize again is that if you want to reveal those abs you're probably going to have to get back in a deficit to do it. You'll never see em if you don't get the fat off em.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, I think the issue is in the wording: you said you want to get "exceptional" results. Most guys (and gals) who are famous for their "exceptional" abs go to exceptional lengths to get them.

If your goal is to be "as healthy as possible with the least amount of effort" or "build as much muscle as I can without spending my life in the gym", those you can work with. And an hour in the gym 3 times a week can get you results.

Does someone have the link for the "So you want a nice stomach" thread? That might help OP out...
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    No offense to the OP, but if your attitude is "what's the least amount of effort I can put in to see results," you're done before you've even started. Find something you're excited or passionate about to invest your time and energy.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I don't think this is an unreasonable train of thought. Maximizing results per effort/time is not a bad thing. Now it may take a lot of time and way more training to look like the "Arrow" :yum: but one hour 3 times a week is pretty reasonable to look pretty damn decent if you're consistent.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Well, the leaner you are the more your muscles show, so I guess if you get skinny first, it would take less effort to build visible muscle, as the muscle will not be hidden beneath as much fat. So if you are trying to minimize effort, dieting seems like much less effort than exercise.
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    First you have to visualize what you want and what is within your accepted means.

You will need to understand your body fat percentage.

dmu2mjcwxpid.jpeg

Be real about where you are. If you have lost 80 pounds and you did it outside the gym you should focus on getting at that. Lifting is going to change your body the most. Focus on 5X5 strong lifts to begin with.

Be honest with yourself as to where you are. Want to see abs... Know how much LBM you have to keep and how much bf% you will really need to lose.

l5suttnfadfn.jpeg