easy/tasty ways to prepare beans? (kidney beans, white beans, black beans)

Options
trinabot19
trinabot19 Posts: 37 Member
I have lots of beans ...but Im not really sure how to prepare them (im a new at this lol) other than cooking them over the stove and adding salt ? haha

How do you prepare your beans? Give me ideas!!! :)

Replies

• koslowkj
    koslowkj Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of beans, but my boyfriend makes vegetarian chili with them. He adds tomato sauce and tomato paste and some spices (and maybe some other stuff?) and leaves it in the slow cooker. He doesn't really have an actual recipe for it, but I'm sure you could find some easy ones on Google!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I mix black beans with egg whites, add them to my chicken/fish and broccoli, add them to quinoa and feta cheese.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    If in a can, I add a tsp of bacon grease and some garlic to pinto beans while heating them, then mashing them up to add to wraps. Black beans (frijoles) get cooked with some garlic powder and a bay leaf as a side dish. Some red beans get added to escarole and slow cooked with Goya pork seasoning, or added to some rice and chicken stock for beans and rice. I love chopped up red onion and lime mixed into some chick peas for salads. The possibilities are endless.....

Oh, and for desserts you can warm up a can of adzuki beans to put over some mochi or vanilla ice cream. This is a favorite of mine.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,203 Member
    Options
    Black beans and cheddar on baked sweet potato. Sounds like an odd combo, but I love it.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
  • KECrawford71
    KECrawford71 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Cook in a crockpot with water, chicken stock, and a bit of ham. Easy to fix.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,224 Member
    Options
    • Put them in green salads.
    • Make them the star of salads with other veggies (I particularly like red beans or kidney beans with diced sweet peppers, cucumber, sweet onions or green onions & cherry tomatoes, dressed with malt vinegar + prepared mustard; or black-eyed peas with pickled turnips, sweet onions, and feta cheese, dressed with a bit of the pickle juice).
    • Puree white beans and use them to thicken a "cream" soup.
    • Make white-bean chili with hominy, onions, spices, and (if unlike me, you eat meat) chicken.
    • Mash them, thin with broth or yogurt, season & use as a dip for veggies or chips.
    • Make bean patties and put them in sandwiches (a bit of egg to hold the mashed beans together, seasonings).
    • Layer them in lasagna.
    • Put them in moussaka.
    • Rough-chop them with your choice of veggies, add a little yogurt or somesuch to make it hang together, and use them to make a sandwich filling (you're going for a texture similar to chicken salad or egg salad).
      /list]

I could go on and on. Beans are wonderful.
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    In chili for a complete meal! The possibilities are endless with chili!
  • XnRGrandpa
    XnRGrandpa Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I make a pot of kidney beans with bacon, garlic, onion, and sliced jalapeno peppers. I then freeze it, 1 or 2 servings per pouch. Later, when I want beans, I just toss a pouch into boiling water and a few minutes later...dinner. I do pretty much the same with split pea soup but w/o the jalapenos.
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I do white navy beans (pre soaked) in a crock pot. Cover with water. Add garlic, a can or two of tomato sauce and maybe a baby can of tomato paste, and then sliced kielbasa sausage. Salt as desired. Cook on high for 8+ hours.
    It tastes so good over rice, but also fantastic on its own!
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Once you have cooked beans, there are so many things you can do with them!

Chili with beans - black beans and kidney beans
    Black bean and corn salsa - good with fish or chicken or on chips or on a salad
    White bean hummus - cook then blend with garlic, lemon juice, and a little tahini
    White beans cooked with sausage and kale or escarole - you can also turn this into a tasty soup
    Season black beans with cumin, onion, garlic, and cayenne - throw this in a burrito bowl or top a baked potato with the beans + cheese and salsa
    Smash up black or kidney beans with above mentioned seasonings in a ban with oil (refried) - put them in tacos or quesadillas or just eat with a spoon
    Add white beans or chickpeas to shakshuka (spicy, tomato-based baked egg dish)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Refried beans! But frankly I've given up on those, the premade stuff from cans is tastier than what I make :(
  • WindSparrow
    WindSparrow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
  • sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    rajna masala, Indian dish prepared with spice of the same name
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I cook black beans and pinto beans in the crockpot.. not at the same time but depending on what I'm in the mood for. If I want to have black bean burritos, I'll rinse and soak the dried beans and put them in the fridge overnight, rinse again and toss them in the crockpot to cook. I'll do the same another day with the pinto beans. You can freeze them in smaller bags to use for other meals, that makes it handy.

I might use the pinto burritos or mash them up for refried beans, toss on some salsa and some cheese and have that for a meal or over a salad or do a taco or on a tortilla.

Same with black beans, might do it the same way or use them in a soup or salad or just toss some in a burrito with fixin's.

You really can't go wrong with beans, long as you cook them but don't over cook them. They're so yummy for your tummy and slow to release carbs. A great high fiber food too. :)

Cheapest way is to buy them in bulk (typically fresher than buying bagged), rinse the amount you plan to cook and put in bowl or pan to soak in the fridge. Rinsing them and soaking them, then rinsing off again gets rid of the gas properties which bother some ppl.

Google how to cook beans on the stove top or Crockpot and they'll give you lots of tips. That's where I learned so many tips on what beans to cook for how long and that type of thing. :)

Happy Bean Eating! :D
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,224 Member
    Options

(snip tasty ideas)

You really can't go wrong with beans, long as you cook them but don't over cook them. They're so yummy for your tummy and slow to release carbs. A great high fiber food too. :)

Cheapest way is to buy them in bulk (typically fresher than buying bagged), rinse the amount you plan to cook and put in bowl or pan to soak in the fridge. Rinsing them and soaking them, then rinsing off again gets rid of the gas properties which bother some ppl.

You can't go wrong even if you overcook dried beans - we call that "bean soup", which is also delicious. (Burning them might be a bad idea, though.)

And though soaking/rinsing beans does help, some people will still have trouble with gassiness from beans - if not used to that much fiber in one's diet, gas may occur when one first starts eating more of it. Phase it in if that's a problem, but it tends to stop happening much if one eats them routinely. ;)
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    This. My 3 year old want to eat this like every night.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/arroz-congri-cuban-rice-and-black-beans/

I also like making a 4 bean salad, although 2 of the beans are green beans and wax beans which don't seem to be what you mean...but I do put kidneys and chickpeas in there.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/16121/four-bean-salad/

For decent bean recipes I like vegetarian cook books. Here is the link to the beans page over at thug kitchen. I like that it makes beans a main course. (you might have to click on beans as the ingredient)

http://www.thugkitchen.com/archive
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    rajna masala, Indian dish prepared with spice of the same name

I make a big pot of this on Sundays during cold months. So good. I use Anupy Singla's modified version for the crockpot.

http://www.indianasapplepie.com/blogs/indian-as-apple-pie/15715748-slow-cooker-punjabi-rajmah-spiced-kidney-beans

Sorry for the double post. I got too lazy to edit.
  • atitagain1958
    atitagain1958 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    This is a great recipe!

Prep time: 15 minutes

Cook time: 55 minutes

Total time: 70 minutes

Yield: 4-6 servings

Spinach Lentil Ragout Over Pasta
    Ingredients

1 small cinnamon stick
    1/4 medium-sized onion, peeled but left intact, plus 1/2 onion minced
    1/2 cup dried brown or green lentils
    3 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
    1/2 box rainbow spiral pasta (or about 2 cups any uncooked pasta you'd like)
    3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    1 medium-size carrot, peeled and diced
    1 celery stalk, diced
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1/4 cup red wine
    1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
    2 1/2 cups tomato puree
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne
    1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
    4 cups spinach, finely chopped
    1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
    Cooking Directions
    In a saucepan, bring one cup water to a boil, and add in the cinnamon stick, the intact 1/4 onion, and the lentils. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for about 25 minutes or until the lentils have absorbed the water. Discard the cinnamon stick and the onion. Then add in 1/2 teaspoon of fine sea salt and stir to combine. Set aside.
    While the lentils are simmering, bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook your pasta until al dente.
    As the lentils and pasta are cooking, heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the carrot, celery, minced onion, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened. Add the wine and thyme, and allow the wine to reduce for about 2 minutes. Add the tomato puree and cayenne pepper, and stir to combine. Let the mixture cook over low heat for about 10 minutes.
    Heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Add the lentils to the vegetable and spice mixture, and cook on low heat for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, letting them absorb the flavor. Add a tablespoon or two of water if the ragout seems dry. Taste, and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the spinach, turn off the heat, and cover the mixture to allow the spinach to wilt.
    In a casserole dish, spoon a small amount of the ragout into the bottom of the dish, and spread a layer of pasta. Then layer ragout on top of that. If you use shells, be sure that the ragout makes it into the inside of the shells. Top off the mixture with cheese, and place the dish on the center rack. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until everything is heated through and the pasta noodles are soft.
    Plate, serve and enjoy!
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    • Put them in green salads.
    • Make them the star of salads with other veggies (I particularly like red beans or kidney beans with diced sweet peppers, cucumber, sweet onions or green onions & cherry tomatoes, dressed with malt vinegar + prepared mustard; or black-eyed peas with pickled turnips, sweet onions, and feta cheese, dressed with a bit of the pickle juice).
    • Puree white beans and use them to thicken a "cream" soup.
    • Make white-bean chili with hominy, onions, spices, and (if unlike me, you eat meat) chicken.
    • Mash them, thin with broth or yogurt, season & use as a dip for veggies or chips.
    • Make bean patties and put them in sandwiches (a bit of egg to hold the mashed beans together, seasonings).
    • Layer them in lasagna.
    • Put them in moussaka.
    • Rough-chop them with your choice of veggies, add a little yogurt or somesuch to make it hang together, and use them to make a sandwich filling (you're going for a texture similar to chicken salad or egg salad).
      /list]

I could go on and on. Beans are wonderful.

She has great ideas!

I like to eat them w scrambled or fried eggs and toast, add a bit of crumbled feta cheese before eating.