How many grams in a spread of butter?

Options
Just trying to keep my calorie count as accurate as possible. How many grams, approximately, are in a spread of butter when on toast? Once I know how many grams I can work out the calories! Thanks

Replies

• amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    The only way to know is to weigh the toast before and after you've buttered it.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    amyr271 wrote: »
    The only way to know is to weigh the toast before and after you've buttered it.

This is what I do, because each time is a bit different and butter is pretty dense, so it's easy to be over or under with it.
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    youd have to weigh the butter first. As a rough guide a thin spread is about 10g, but I mean a THIN spread of butter, I usually find I use more on toast - that's why I use Marmite instead - most of the time anyway.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    gothomson wrote: »
    youd have to weigh the butter first. As a rough guide a thin spread is about 10g, but I mean a THIN spread of butter, I usually find I use more on toast - that's why I use Marmite instead - most of the time anyway.

For a single piece of toast, I can get 4-5 grams, 10g seems like a lot to me, and I like butter!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Mine is usually around 10g for a fairly thin spread
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I weigh my butter pat before and after, and usually I have used 16g for 2 slices of Toast, spread so you can taste it, kind of medium thickness.

Something like Flora is only 10g for the same volume, but half the deliciousness!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Get a digital food scale. Put your toast on it. Tare it or take note of the weight of the toast. Spread butter on. If you did tare the scale you just look at the number for butter. If you didn't tare you need to subtract the toast weight. You now have the weight of the butter you used.
  • Nictrevor00
    Nictrevor00 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    8 grams I’d say
  • Nictrevor00
    Nictrevor00 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sorry, as in 8 grams per slice of toast
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    OK, the little plastic tubs with foil on top that you have to dig out with your knife are 5 grams.

The large foil wrapped pat of butter is 7-9 grams; one restaruant supply place has them at 10 grams but mostly for EU consumption. The standard looking U.S. pat of butter that comes out with your rolls is almost always 7 grams.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    OK, the little plastic tubs with foil on top that you have to dig out with your knife are 5 grams.

The large foil wrapped pat of butter is 7-9 grams; one restaruant supply place has them at 10 grams but mostly for EU consumption. The standard looking U.S. pat of butter that comes out with your rolls is almost always 7 grams.

You buy individually portioned packs of butter in the US? Usually we buy about 250 at a time...
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

You buy individually portioned packs of butter in the US? Usually we buy about 250 at a time...

I think wilson was offering that in addition to the 11 posts above advising OP to get a food scale and weigh their butter (which is the correct answer), if they don't want to carry a pocket scale and do that while out at restaurants. Though I guess OP could also just buy preportioned butter packets if they wanted to.
  • wilson10102018
    Options
    Actually, I was giving the readers a gauge by which to log calories without making a mess. Everyone knows what a pat of butter looks like and as they are using the butter they can log it without taking time to weigh it.

For my part, I just put the butter dish on the scale and see how much less it weighs after cutting off what I need.
  • perryc05
    perryc05 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    In Australia we have 7g butter portions in hotels etc. This is a typical brand:

https://www.anchorfp.com.au/en/products/butter-and-spreads/butter/western-star-salted-butter-portions-6x200x7g.html

I use half the amount of one of these to spread on one piece of toast so just log it in MFP as 4g.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    mcglademel wrote: »
    Just trying to keep my calorie count as accurate as possible.

get a food scale and weigh it

• wilson10102018
    Options
    As I said above, I weigh the butter and then use whatever i want and weigh it again. But, a normal looking pat of butter like one sees in the US is 7 grams. EU is more like 10, at least is was in England.