I can't stop eating!

Options
2»

Replies

• pdadhich721
    pdadhich721 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with this too. I've been doing the gum - it helps !
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i love to eat, its my hobby, my drug of choice. I started my journey as a chef and culinary school at 17 and now 12 years later with a masters in nutrition. Suffice to say my entire adult life has surrounded itself around eating amd food. I have no adive other then if you dont wana stop munching go be more active. I want to eat like an adult male body builder, and i am a 5'2 120 pound sedentary woman haha. My bmr is 1300 :( I go and work out and do active things litteraly for the point of getting to eat more.
  • karina014
    karina014 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    !!!!Out of sight out of mind, so don't buy snacks you will regret eating later!!!!

Let's cut right to the chase, so what I use to help suppress my hunger or desire to eat is this protein shake- advantage edge protein shakes. I use the milk chocolate, fudge, or vanilla flavors. It curbs and suppress hunger for hours and it is only 100 calories. I use it as a meal replacement with a piece a fruit for breakfast or dinner depending on my food intake. You can buy it at a lot of places such as walmart and cvs but I buy it at sams club. (Cheapest I've found)

I like that it's not sketchy or unhealthy for you so give it a shot. Hope this helps!
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Cough Drops. Strong ones that make you not want to put food in your mouth.
  • silvilunazul
    silvilunazul Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Few things that have worked for me: drinking coffee or green tea during the day (in the evening they tend to disrupt my sleep), eating big portions of non-starchy veg with every meal, getting a good high-protein breakfast everyday, eating something prepared with casein protein supplement before bed. In addition to these "tricks", probably the best thing you can do is to keep yourself busy. I struggle less with cravings when I have a lot of activities in a day!
  • CalorieCountChocula
    CalorieCountChocula Posts: 239 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Ok, so for those who are pedantic - I can stop eating, its not like i'll die if I stop stuffing my face.

Technically speaking the opposite of this is true. If you stopped eating eventually you would in fact die. You'll die one day anyway even if you keep eating. Just later. Unless something non-food related kills you sooner of course. Tons of variables here.

• Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I had this problem and it killed my diet attempts, and my doctor told me to stop worrying about fat so much, and eat more protein. I haven't been nearly as hungry as I was and I'm doing better this time.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be pedantic and tell you that you're not supposed to stop eating, you just have to stop overeating.

I'm maintaining a healthy weight now, and I love food too. It hasn't been easy to figure out, because of all the conflicting "information" out there. But it's quite simple. This is not about self control, but about environment control and getting in habits and attitudes that support health and don't damage it.

Eat food you like. You don't have to choose between "healthy stuff" and "junk food" - there's a wide range of foods from all over the world available. Learn to cook if you don't already. Anything made from real food ingredients will become healthy meals, unless you mess it up completely.

Plan your meals and spend some time and effort to look for nutritious food that you also find appetizing. Structure your eating to match your schedule, work, play, family and social life. Reserve time to sit down and enjoy your meal. Serve yourself a decent portion and eat until satisfied. Not full, but satisfied. Allow yourself to get hungry before meals. Hungry, not ravenous.

Write shopping lists based on what you need to make/prepare your meals, take the list with you to the store, and follow the list. Buy food and ingredients for the meals you have planned, and nothing else. Decide if typical snack foods work for you, or not. If you can't stop eating them if you have them, they don't, and you should keep them to a minimum; if you long for them if you don't have them, they do, and you should find ways to implement them in your diet.

Maybe also try to cut back in the squash - it tastes sweet, right? Constantly having a sweet taste in your mouth often leads to cravings for more, maybe physiologically, maybe just from habit.
  • Lavender2222
    Lavender2222 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tooth brushing tip . I now even do it at work after lunch
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I try not to buy the junk that I know I can't stay out of. I don't buy chips or chocolate, because it never ends well. Its difficult to keep this stuff out of the house sometimes because I live with my parents, but I tell myself that its their food and I'm not allowed to have it.

For salt cravings, I do keep 98% fat free single serve popcorn available. For sweets, I can usually satisfy it with some cereal.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Been there, that's why I'm back to my original weight. Let me suggest the DASH diet (not really a diet). I am constantly eating (veggies and some fruit).

What got me, while on the DASH diet (at the time when I first started it a few years ago) was I wasn't eating any sweets and when the holiday came around, I couldn't stop myself and fell of the wagon hard, and stopped the DASH diet. Now I have to go through losing 100 lbs again.

Anyway. Since I restarted the DASH diet (last week), I know what to look out for and eat so much veggies a day, I am just amazed at not feeling hungry and having alot of energy that I didn't before. I really don't care about anything else right now as far as food. I love eating lots of veggies because I feel great and have energy. And it all happened in a week. I hope this gives me the motivation to continue, which I think it will.
  • ccam99
    ccam99 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    This is me now after I stopped working out and eating right since March. I have been in carb craving overload. I think mine is due to changes at my age. Anyway, I agree that having it around is making it harder so I am going to do as others suggest and get it out of the house. I will say that when I ate more protein at all of my meals I did not crave food as much. Try upping your protein intake. As for when you are watching tv, if you must eat something switch to low calorie items such as popcorn or eat a protein like yogurt.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the replies to far. It's nice knowing I'm not alone.
    I'm currently on a calorie deficit...well I'm supposed to be, but today with all the binging, not so much!
    Some of these ideas are amazing. Might try some supplements but I like the colouring book.and teeth brushing ideas!
    My worst time is the evening when im watching the television. But if I'm colouring that will hopefully be a good distractions!

Stop the tv habit. Sitting down in front of the telly, or the computer, at night is one of the worst things for many of us that have snacking issues! Go for walk. Or stand up and walk in place if you must watch tv. Make yourself MOVE instead of eating. You have to get out of that sitting down at night watching tv/eating habit.

Or keep several dumbbells next to where you watch TV. My evening TV time is for relaxing so I sit on the floor and stretch and do my planks and push-ups and do various arm exercises with the dumbbells. It's hard to snack when those things are right next to me waiting to be used.
  • jahillegas_51
    jahillegas_51 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Are you struggling with binge eating? Or just struggling to limit how much you eat in a day? For example do you eat an uncontrollable, obscene amount of food or do you just eat more than you should, but not to the point where you are going to be sick.

If you are struggling with binge eating, here is a general framework that I developed from my own story to get start. Feel free to ask questions, so I can further understand and reverse engineer a solution for you.

First, admit there was a problem. For three going on four years, I blamed externals, my drive, and my dreams for my actions. Ignoring people in my life hinting at me that I may have a problem, including family, close friends, and girlfriend. I lied to myself, rationalizing it with the mask of a cheat meal. As the punishment for binging increased so did the amount of times I binged. At first once a week, then every couple days, every other, until it consumed my thoughts. At times I would drive to Walmart just to eat it all before coming home. Chances are if you are reading this it is because you are looking for help. Good for you, you are lightyears ahead of where I was!

Second, I learned to love myself for me, as a matter of fact I am still learning how to do this. Today, the emulated physique is seen as happiness. It is published on social media, magazines, and posters as the symbol of happiness. I believed it, I chased it and chased it. I had it for some time and I was still just as miserable. How you look will not make you happy! Now don’t twist those words as an excuse to just let ourselves become overweight. Chances are you will break step 1 which is lying and rationalizing it. We have to learn to accept our imperfections. We all have them and everyone tries to hide them. Here are my flaws (some I can fix, others are what they are):
    Relationships: I am aweful. I wrecked a 15 year friendship with a highschool sweetheart, I was selfish and an *kitten*. I can also be abrasive and brutal with little to no compassion. However ever since I shared this personal story, I have gotten better. Although I am by no means finished working on this.
    Skin Damage: I never wore sunscreen as a kid. Now I have moles, freckles, and scars. Some I wish weren’t there. Some girls won’t talk to me because of them. I am not “sexy” enough. They aren’t “interested”.

Don’t let your imperfections stop you from loving yourself. You are the only you this world will ever see, embrace yourself. Perhaps the worst thing about this cycle was I hated myself, I hated my life, I did not want to look in the mirror, I thought I was a failure that I would never make it, I contemplated suicide. When I would binge, I would punish myself. Don’t do that we are human, life is meant to be enjoyed. Life is much too short to never treat yourself to what you love to eat whatever that maybe for you. Look yourself in the mirror directly into your eyes saying “I LOVE myself” at least 10 times a day, if not more. P.S. try not to smile when you say this (harder than you think).

Thirdly, there is no such thing as good food, bad food. Placing labels on food, leads us to ban them from our intake. We say, “No, No, No, No, No…” We push for the perfect diet, once we eat this food that does not fall into this neat diet box; we throw our hands up, saying we failed so now is the time to eat everything we can. This leads to punishment. Which leads to more restrictions. This is the vicious cycle we as binge eaters face. I used to believe it myself, that there was clean food and bad food. It simply is this manifested idea. If you ask a vegan, he/she will say animal based foods are not clean. Someone who is a vegetarian will disagree, and say it is just animal products that are not clean. Then a paleo guy runs in screaming about how meat is clean, but grains aren’t. So someone has to be right? They are all wrong. Instead, adopt my grandmother’s wise old adage of “everything in moderation.” AKA IIFYM

Fourth, going along the lines of moderation. You can eat whatever you want just not all at once. I believe I heard Layne Norton say this, I believe this, like the 11th commandment, in fact it should be an amendment to the constitution. When I first began to escape cycle, I would eat one “treat” at every meal. Nothing crazy, but it will allow you still get your “fix” but you won’t binge on it. Any action in the right direction gave me more motivation and encouragement to keep improving. The small wins kept snowballing into large victories later that slammed the door on binging. Disclaimer, it is wiser to eat this food item from a plate not from the container. Don’t test your will to fight binging if you do not have too. As the old saying goes, “work smarter, not harder.”

Fifth, no more crazy spreadsheets and tracking of nutrients line item by line item like an accountant. I did not worry about counting calories and the works. I would instead eat (3) meals, breakfast, lunch and supper possibly a snack if I was hungry. I would eat slowly, and as I began to feel fuller I would stop eating. You may be like me and scared that you’ll get fat. Well what is our other choice? We can keep binge eating which is not working, because you wouldn’t be reading this. Or we can reach out and try something new. I need to be conscious of my eating, instead of speed eating (still struggle at times).

Sixth, 180, 190, 160, 225, 200…what number was it going to be today I thought I as I closed my eyes scared to look down at the scale after a night of binging (these were all weights I reached during this cycle). You do not need a scale to help you. It’s about small wins, small wins, they add up trust me; I have been there too. Most people overestimate the damage of a binge. You need to eat in excess of 3500 calories over your normal intake to gain a pound of fat. It is not as bad as we create in our minds. Additionally, when we stand on the scale after a binge our body is bloated, full of food, sodium, and other goodies. This only compounds the guilt feeling.

It is your lucky day! I said six, but here is a seventh tip. So, what about eating at restaurants and parties? Parties were my kryptonite, the amount of food that I saw and I thought I had to eat three people’s worth of everything. What helped me to win at parties was I made this a game in my head (who cares no one else knows..plus now you know I did it). I am very competitive; I hate losing even if it’s go fish with a girlfriend (I will be a terrible father I will never let my kids win). Since eating slower and not getting seconds was a struggle at first. The game I created was to be the last one done eating, and the last one to get seconds. This helped me in many ways, first to help me eat slower I talked with people, this helped to repair the relationships I had damaged in the past, plus I was not over eating (win/win). Which is why I was last to get seconds, so often I would eat so quick that my stomach didn’t even know it was fed until I was already 4-5 plates of heaping food deep.

Make that eight, workout for fun! For so long in this process I trained for results no I do not mean goals; I simply worked out to look good that’s it! It was the complete wrong direction, it made training no fun, I dreaded every gym session, and was having a miserable time. It doesn’t matter if you are into bodybuilding, figure, physique, cross fit, powerlifting, strongman, marathons, etc. just train for fun, train to get better and challenge yourself. For me this was powerlifting.

• peachybum21
    peachybum21 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Are you struggling with binge eating? Or just struggling to limit how much you eat in a day? For example do you eat an uncontrollable, obscene amount of food or do you just eat more than you should, but not to the point where you are going to be sick.

Normally it is obscene amounts. Since posting this, I've not really binged which is good, but on a bad day I will constantly eat. Here is an example - which is pretty embarrassing!
    Get up at 09:00
    09:30 - crunch corner yoghurt
    - 5 x multigrain crackers
    11:00 - 2 x sausages and oven chips
    12:45 - Chicken breast burger and chips (at a restaurant out with friends)
    14:00 - crisps
    20:00 - Sirloin steak and chips, followed by a chocolate brownie and ice cream (out at a restaurant with friends)

So I don't often go to 2 restaurants a day, but these visits were all planned in advance, so iwas just being greedy. I didn't need the crackers, the sausages and chips, or the crisps. If i'd have cut these out it would have at least been a bit better. But I ate because I was bored XD

Anyway, theres some fantastic advice so far which I'm going to try and use. Every time I think of eating rubbish, I think of this forum which seems to stop me from doing it. Perhaps just admitting I do it have made me more aware of what I eat. I've lost the weight before, and I remember feeling so much better, which is why I want to do it again, but I didn't realise how well smoking stopped me from eating!!!!

Thanks again guys :heart:

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @peachybum21 that doesn't sound like an obscene amount of food, let's just say....indulgent. Did you finish the whole bag of crisps in one go? That would be obscene. On my worst days I'd finish a loaf of bread in a single day but even so my therapist said that was not binge eating.

I think you've got some stubborn old habits with a dash of hedonism on the side. Habits can be turned or modified to more productive activities.
  • jahillegas_51
    jahillegas_51 Posts: 143 Member
    Options

Normally it is obscene amounts. Since posting this, I've not really binged which is good, but on a bad day I will constantly eat. Here is an example - which is pretty embarrassing!
    Get up at 09:00
    09:30 - crunch corner yoghurt
    - 5 x multigrain crackers
    11:00 - 2 x sausages and oven chips
    12:45 - Chicken breast burger and chips (at a restaurant out with friends)
    14:00 - crisps
    20:00 - Sirloin steak and chips, followed by a chocolate brownie and ice cream (out at a restaurant with friends)

So I don't often go to 2 restaurants a day, but these visits were all planned in advance, so iwas just being greedy. I didn't need the crackers, the sausages and chips, or the crisps. If i'd have cut these out it would have at least been a bit better. But I ate because I was bored XD

Anyway, theres some fantastic advice so far which I'm going to try and use. Every time I think of eating rubbish, I think of this forum which seems to stop me from doing it. Perhaps just admitting I do it have made me more aware of what I eat. I've lost the weight before, and I remember feeling so much better, which is why I want to do it again, but I didn't realise how well smoking stopped me from eating!!!!

Thanks again guys :heart:

Let me know how it progresses for you. I am happy to be of support for you an answer some questions as you have them:)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I humbly suggest that you get a large supply of celery and jicama. Choose to munch on that. For one, it's much lower calorie than your crisps. For two, it's much higher fiber than your crisps.
  • Annamarie3404
    Annamarie3404 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Ok, so for those who are pedantic - I can stop eating, its not like i'll die if I stop stuffing my face. However! I quit smoking just over 2 weeks ago and I want to focus on my eating to prevent me from now piling on the lbs!
    I just love food! Not to healthy stuff but junk food. I can budget for my day in terms of calories, but then just eat other rubbish too. I guess it's mainly boredom, its certainly not hunger. I drink about 6 pints of squash a day so I'm not desperately dehydrated either.
    Even if I've eaten loads and feel a bit sick, when I go to the kitchen for some more drink, i'll pick up a packet of crisps and start eating them.

So please! What can I do?? I know you can buy tablet versions of "Appetite Suppressants" which
    A) are probably so bad for you
    B) don't even work
    and c
    C) aren't solving the problem long term

I know that it is down to self control, which I don't seem to have much of the past couple of days, but the suggestion to simply stop putting it in my mouth isn't going to be a helpful one!

Please if you have any suggestions to help me stop eating please let me know! If all you're going to do is tell me to man up and staple my mouth shut, it's not helpful so don't bother!!!!

I keep healthy foods sliced up and ready to eat or cook. I keep everything individually in the fridge, and get that out and prepare it when I not hungry, but just want something to eat. This was difficult at first because I wanted salty stuff or junk food. I just sort of transitioned from that to the healthy foods, and it was a process. It took a while to get used to. Now, I don't eat junk food at all and have learned to cook in different ways with different spices to keep my food from being boring.
    @peachybum21

• TheUwuest
    TheUwuest Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Don't keep junk in the house. Eat high volume meals (choosing foods that give larger amounts for fewer calories, like vegetables, fruits, and some other things like salted popcorn, and limiting low volume foods that are the opposite like baked goods, sweets, fatty things, and added fat and oils to cook with) Everyone like SOME healthy things so list what those are and base your food intake around them. But to state it again, just Don't Keep It In The House! Don't set yourself up for failure. Fill your stomach on low-calorie things and fit some small higher calorie things in where you can, not the other way around.