Make me stick with it

Options
Alright, alright. I'm changing things up a bit. I'm generally a private person and I like to keep things to myself, but I'm hoping if I put my business out there, it'll pressure me to keep going. I get so down on myself and then I just make up excuses to get out of a workout. The eating healthy is getting easier, but I dread the gym. I work 12 hour graveyard shifts and live an hour away from work. By the end of my 14 hour day I just want to go to bed, even though all I do is sit at a desk. I tried looking at past pictures of when I was almost to my goal weight hoping that it would inspire me, but instead, I get even more discouraged because it seems so far out of reach, and it was a knee injury that took all my hard work away from me a couple years ago.

So now, I come to you to ask, add me, bug me, pester me, ask me about how my progress is, and if you need me to do the same for you, I will!

Replies

• ct320
    ct320 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hi I know exactly how you feel, I've fallen off the wagon so many times. This past year I've completed a college course worked part time and have 2 children and the gym has been the last place I want to go on an evening I'm now back at work full time for the time being and determined to eat healthily, exercise and lose some weight. Maybe we could do the same for each other :smile: I'll add you and if you need any motivation/support send me a message.
  • KatieAnnONeill
    KatieAnnONeill Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    ct320 wrote: »
    Hi I know exactly how you feel, I've fallen off the wagon so many times. This past year I've completed a college course worked part time and have 2 children and the gym has been the last place I want to go on an evening I'm now back at work full time for the time being and determined to eat healthily, exercise and lose some weight. Maybe we could do the same for each other :smile: I'll add you and if you need any motivation/support send me a message.

Sounds good to me!! Thank you!
  • killdontmurder
    killdontmurder Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have some advice....on your breaks....what do you do? For lunch, why not eat an hour or so before your lunch break, that way you can walk for the duration of the break. I used to work in an office setting and I never liked having to sit for so long. If you can eat healthy....I mean really healthy...and walk at least 1 mile a day, you'll be making progress. I'm here for support and I'll be checking on you.
  • KatieAnnONeill
    Options
    Ok, I have some advice....on your breaks....what do you do? For lunch, why not eat an hour or so before your lunch break, that way you can walk for the duration of the break. I used to work in an office setting and I never liked having to sit for so long. If you can eat healthy....I mean really healthy...and walk at least 1 mile a day, you'll be making progress. I'm here for support and I'll be checking on you.

My breaks kind of depend on how the night is going. If we are really busy we are lucky to get bathroom breaks. If I have a partner to walk with then I will take one little bit longer break to power walk for a mile but going alone isn't an option at night in the part of the city I work. It's horribly unsafe. That is normally my longest break though, otherwise it's just bathroom and water refill, because if I get up that puts more on my partners to cover my gap
  • RanaSimon
    RanaSimon Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My breaks kind of depend on how the night is going. If we are really busy we are lucky to get bathroom breaks. If I have a partner to walk with then I will take one little bit longer break to power walk for a mile but going alone isn't an option at night in the part of the city I work. It's horribly unsafe. That is normally my longest break though, otherwise it's just bathroom and water refill, because if I get up that puts more on my partners to cover my gap

Could you walk inside the building where you work? Even if you have to pass by people over and over, you might motivate others to join you over time.
    Do you drink enough water during your shift? I keep a 28 oz bottle at my desk and make sure to get through 2-3 of them a day, for 6-8 cups of water a day.
    How much could you do at your desk? Are you on the phone with a headset all the time? Could you have one arm doing an exercise, and switch with each call? Can you get a standing desk or sit on an exercise ball for some of your shift? Even just focusing on keeping your muscles tightened and flexing periodically can do wonders just for your energy level.
    If you're looking for ways to be motivated during off-hours, I've been doing a charity 5K every weekend. I'm in a lucky place to be able to afford it, and I find some that are free, too. Since I pre-register, I have to go, I'm obligated to, and being around people gives me motivation, even if I'm the last in the pack to cross the finish line. It keeps me active on the weekends when I can't get myself to the gym otherwise, and after doing so many now, I just want to do it because I feel so good afterward.

Just some thoughts. I hope they help, and good luck to you! If you'd like to stay in touch, feel free to add me. ^_^ Cheers!
  • rccsinger
    rccsinger Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Since you only get short breaks make the most of them by walking to the restroom furthest from your office or even on the next floor. Also if you have a few free minutes you might want to ck out Leslie Sansone on Youtube. . .she has 2, 3 and 5 minute walks that you can do at your desk. This will help keep you moving!
  • queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I set an alarm on my computer at work. It goes off on the hour and I get up, stretch, and do some squats, pushups, lunges, planks etc. It isn't much but really helps me have more energy and feel less like curling up when I get off work.
  • killdontmurder
    Options

I'm sure someone as cute as you won't have trouble finding a partner to walk with. Just ask, don't be shy.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    @KatieAnnONeill - Are you a dispatcher? Sounds like it from everything you've said. Been there, done that. How many days do you work a week? When I worked 12 hour shifts, I got 3 and 4 days off a week. I found it easier to commit to go to the gym on my days off, rather than try to make it fit into the days I worked.

Other than that, weight loss is about calories, not exercise. Eat fewer calories than you burn and you will lose weight. To insure you are eating as many calories as you think, buy and religiously use a food scale.

Pack your meals for work. Night shift is HARD! When you are tired, you give in to the candy/junk/vending machine just to stay awake. Make a rule that you can only eat what you packed, and stick with it!

Good luck!
  • KatieAnnONeill
    Options
    I guess I could explain my work situation a little better. I'm just hesitant because it's not everyone's favorite. I'm a police dispatcher. I'm tethered to my desk and my computer. We dispatch for over 11 different agencies so we are busy all the time. If I'm plugged in, walking around isn't an option. We have one bathroom on a small single level building. We have the desks that raise to stand so I do that often. And sometimes I'll do lunges around the pod lol
    Part of my exhaustion is because I'm mentally drained from the stress of the job which I know contributes to my weight...
    Water is easy though. I keep a 20oz cup at my desk and I fill it up 5-6 times each night. What sucks is that my coworkers order delivery food AT LEAST once a week so I'm always sitting there dying over the smell of that fantastic food haha
  • quiksylver296
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I guess I could explain my work situation a little better. I'm just hesitant because it's not everyone's favorite. I'm a police dispatcher. I'm tethered to my desk and my computer. We dispatch for over 11 different agencies so we are busy all the time. If I'm plugged in, walking around isn't an option. We have one bathroom on a small single level building. We have the desks that raise to stand so I do that often. And sometimes I'll do lunges around the pod lol
    Part of my exhaustion is because I'm mentally drained from the stress of the job which I know contributes to my weight...
    Water is easy though. I keep a 20oz cup at my desk and I fill it up 5-6 times each night. What sucks is that my coworkers order delivery food AT LEAST once a week so I'm always sitting there dying over the smell of that fantastic food haha

Ha! I knew it! I've been a cop for 20 years, and dispatched while pregnant on light-duty (about 1.5 years total). I understand. It's a highly stressful job. More stressful than being the cop handling the call sometimes. You have all the same stress as the officer, in my opinion, without the knowing what exactly is happening.

Dispatchers are amazing! Thank you for what you do.
  • killdontmurder
    Options

Ha! I knew it!

That was some serious, ESP.
  • KatieAnnONeill
    Options

Ha! I knew it! I've been a cop for 20 years, and dispatched while pregnant on light-duty (about 1.5 years total). I understand. It's a highly stressful job. More stressful than being the cop handling the call sometimes. You have all the same stress as the officer, in my opinion, without the knowing what exactly is happening.

And thank you for what you have done! It can be hard. I'm a protective personality by nature so when I sit down at my desk my 15 officers (give or take) for that shift are my metaforical children. They're mine to protect so when they scream out that someone tried to run them over, shoot them, etc. every last bit of my energy is spent doing anything I can
  • quiksylver296
    edited June 2016
    Options

And thank you for what you have done! It can be hard. I'm a protective personality by nature so when I sit down at my desk my 15 officers (give or take) for that shift are my metaforical children. They're mine to protect so when they scream out that someone tried to run them over, shoot them, etc. every last bit of my energy is spent doing anything I can

I totally understand. That's why I say leave the extra workouts for your day off. I agree with doing what you can at work, lunges, etc, but many times it's just too crazy. Take care of you, though, because that will help you take care of your officers. Mental health/stress is a serious concern in law enforcement, and exercise definitely helps balance it.

ETA: I sent you a friend request, BTW.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    vOv if weight loss is your primary goal, the gym is unnecessary. I dropped my last 40, not setting foot in a gym, and doihg nothing but playing video games outside of work.

Would you be better off doing it? Absolutely. Is it a requirement? Clearly not. Just figure out how to adjust your intake accordingly, on the days or weeks you don't go. Either way, a bit of effort. Which effort you prefer putting forth, is up to you.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    The straight up truth is that IF you want it bad enough.....................you'll do it. You can be inspired, bugged, pestered, encouraged, etc., but if you don't make it a major priority in your lifestyle, then you won't do it. Especially happens when people get close to goal or goal. After they've achieved it, they quit doing what they did to get there and weight regain happens. So realize that it's a lifestyle you need to want. Not one that you have to be forced to do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Just a quick note: there are stationary pedal machines that can be put under a desk. It's not the best workout in the world, but just the movement adds to helping burn calories throughout your work shift.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• sweetmelody269
    sweetmelody269 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I also work at a desk and dread the gym. I used to love the gym but since moving to a different city and not really liking the PF they have (crowded, dirty, don't have machines I'm used to). I do squats on my breaks or even standing at my desk. I know a place where employees brought in their own 2-5 pound weights to work on their upper body while working at their desks.
    However, losing weight depends more on nutrition. Whenever I try to get back to it I end up planning meals, counting calories, protein, fat, etc and try to go to the gym in the morning, look for exercise classes I can sign up for....an all or nothing gal. It would not work for me because I'd get burn out or not do something and feel like I failed. Instead of the gym, try little things - pick a parking spot further away, walk another lap of the grocery store while buying food, housework burns calories, etc.
    Good luck! Feel free to message me if you need support :smile:
  • DezKnight
    DezKnight Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Maybe find some yoga videos you can do at home. Also, maybe think of them more as a stress/meditation than a workout. It could help you sleep better and increase endurance.
  • gillie80
    gillie80 Posts: 214 Member
    Options

Wow. my brother in law was one in the UK for a few years before he transferred out. you guys, on both sides of the big sea, do a great job. I have huge respect for both dispatchers and cops. try throwing in some squats with the lunges and do it keeping hold of that (full) water bottle.

I also hate the gym, most depressing place ever. i started running instead, doing couch210k, and find that quite relaxing. do you have a hobby you can get immersed in when off-duty? my BIL swims a lot and he said it helps him de-stress.

feel free to add me. i can pester with the best of them. good luck xx