Multivitimins

Options
Is it worth the extra money to buy a big brand multivitamin that cost 3 times the cheaper one even if they both list the same amount of vitamins as ingredients

Replies

• TheCrawlingChaos
    TheCrawlingChaos Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Some would say even the off-brand vitamins are not worth it unless you are correcting for a deficiency or supplimenting to fill holes caused by things like b-12 for people eating a plant-based diet.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    In a recent test of multivitamins, ConsumerLab.com found that Equate-Mature Multivitamin 50+ sold by Wal-Mart was just as good as the name brand Centrum Silver, but at less than a nickel a day is half the price.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/05/health/05patient.html?_r=0
    Note: Recent studies have indicated that taking a multivitamin won’t protect you from heart disease or cancer. And experts maintain that if you eat well, you don’t need vitamin supplements.
  • hansklamp2112
    hansklamp2112 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to not waste any money on them if you're any bit concerned about the price.
  • Amym26
    Amym26 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Honestly, multi-vitamins aren't worth any cost. Just eat a varied diet, with lots of variety of whole grains, dairy, low fat protein, veggies, and fruit. This will help you get the vitamins and minerals you need.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    If you're regularly eating food made with commercial flour, and you're using regular table salt, and you're drinking fortified milk, it's unlikely you'll run into significant deficiencies for a long time. Those products have been specifically fortified to prevent the vast majority of illness caused by missing vitamins and minerals.

On the other hand, if you're eating at a calorie deficit for a long time, I think an inexpensive multivitamin is a fine investment. Sometimes people get into food ruts when losing weight and don't realize how low they are on particular important vitamins and minerals. Vitamin D, C, Calcium come to mind. Particular diets (vegan, keto) also might warrant some supplementing. Put an average day into https://cronometer.com and see how you feel about it.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Amym26 wrote: »
    Honestly, multi-vitamins aren't worth any cost. Just eat a varied diet, with lots of variety of whole grains, dairy, low fat protein, veggies, and fruit. This will help you get the vitamins and minerals you need.

This is the correct answer. Unless you have a specific deficiency, there is no benefit in vitamin supplements

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/more-evidence-that-routine-multivitamin-use-should-be-avoided/
  • jontywontytong
    jontywontytong Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have been at a calories deficit for a long time and supplement with multivitamins in case I'm not getting enough from food
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Is it worth the extra money to buy a big brand multivitamin that cost 3 times the cheaper one even if they both list the same amount of vitamins as ingredients

I always buy the store brand. They are the same thing with a different label and cost.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Vegans can run up deficiencies where there isn't enough in the diet. This could be the B vitamins or Iron.

Those of us who have had Bariatric surgery have known mal-absorption issues, so I'll be on vitamins for life.

I think young women of childbearing age should be on Folic acid to prevent a particular birth defect (Spina Bifida).

Those of us with anemia benefit from an iron supplement, and that sort of deficiency should not be ignored.

Calcium deficiency is hard to catch without a bone scan, but I wouldn't like to find out after the fact.

Look for this:
    http://www.usp.org/usp-verification-services/usp-verified-dietary-supplements
  • songbird13291
    songbird13291 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    The OP's question wasn't whether to take a multivitamin, but rather, which brand to use. If you responded "don't take one", you missed the point of the question.

My doctor has me taking a multivitamin, a calcium supplement and a vitamin D supplement. It's what he thinks I should be doing, and I comply.

Sometimes I buy the name brand, and sometimes I buy the store brand. I find them equally efficient.
  • madikasingersmommy
    madikasingersmommy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    As someone that works in the medical field it is a good idea to take at least a multivitamin while working out. Generic and brand names are usually the same only different cost. I buy the store name because it has the same vitamins in it at the same %. This topic could go rounds, some people will agree while others wont. Just depends what YOU want to do. I myself take a multivitamin
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    Options
    experts maintain that if you eat well, you don’t need vitamin supplements.

The experts can't agree on what "eating well" entails. ;)

A calorie deficit could conceivably lead to nutrient deficit, and since most don't eat perfectly 100% of the time, it makes sense to take a multi during weight loss.. at least occasionally.

OP - Since it's an unregulated industry, i'd go with a brand certified by a reputable, independent lab - USP & NSF are the main ones here in the US. :+1:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I started taking a multi vitamin when I noticed I was lacking certain vitamins/minerals on a regular basis, and the multi fills in these gaps. I really need to eat way more fruits and veggies..
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer the GNC brand Active multi-vitamin. Not because it has magical properties of any kind...I just liked them because they gave me some energy, and it was the only multi-vitamin I've found so far that doesn't cause me to be nauseous.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer the GNC brand Active multi-vitamin. Not because it has magical properties of any kind...I just liked them because they gave me some energy, and it was the only multi-vitamin I've found so far that doesn't cause me to be nauseous.

About the nausea, I find that if I take multivitamins on an empty stomach, I get very nauseous. I just have to make sure I take them after I eat a meal.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options

No, I buy a multivitamin from Sainsbury's I think cost me 50p. It has exactly the same as any other normal multivitamin costing pounds more.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options

No. Most differences are just marketing and most vitamins are useless unless you REALLY have a deficiency. I've seen a $10 bottle of centrum multivitamin sold here (Korea) for over $100 because it's supposedly "high quality imported luxury item" or something to that effect.