Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Time- even healthy calories are calories

Options
zoeysasha37
zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
My friend just showed me this article and I really liked it. I often see people say things like" I'm eating healthy or eating clean but am not losing weight" . It seems that some people don't realize that the calories do count even if they are from healthy foods.

Here's the article -

http://time.com/4376717/calories-confusion/

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Yes, unfortunately, we live in a land where food is plenty, but the desire to actually learn about it seems to be lacking. Most just seem to latch onto the most recent soundbyte and roll with it, until a new one comes along telling them that the old one was crap. It's led to a ridiculous cycle of misinformation that the various food industries marketing divisions have been all too happy to exploit.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    saving for later
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Yeah it doesn't matter what we eat, but how much of it - its all about the calories.

I watched a show a while back, Secret Eaters I think it was called, the actress couldn't understand why she wasn't losing - she was eating so healthy, and so she was, but she also was consuming over 3000 calories a day. It aint rocket science, if we eat more than we burn, we will gain.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Dove0804 wrote: »
    Fun read.

The desire I think is most certainly there, it's the vast amounts of misinformation that is continuously being thrown around from all sources. A lot of sources are not ones I would trust, but you have figures like Dr. Oz with that "Dr." in front of their names giving advice to the entire nation that he is not qualified to give. Magazines always have some "Dr." they're quoting in their articles, or referencing some "research" or "article". We hear and read things every day about what is and isn't "healthy". Can you blame anyone for being confused? If you have low health literacy to begin with, you don't stand a chance against this barrage of misinformation.

I almost feel like I'm part of some big, simple secret at times (calorie-counting), when it's really not a secret at all... it's just buried under crap fads and crazy claims.

The trainers, nutritionists and management philosophy at my old gym was that you could eat all the whole foods (whatever that really means) you want and not gain weight. Their pitch was that you would be satiated and not able to eat over your body's needs.

After a seminar reinforcing this is asked if they were confident enough to pay for my meals for a month. I challenged them to pay for my food for a month and if I didn't gain weight following their method I would pay it back 2x. Nobody took me up on the offer.

CICO and readjust as your body changes.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    It seems that some people don't realize that the calories do count even if they are from healthy foods.

This is something that really shocked me when I joined this site. I had no idea so many people were clueless about calories. Surely this is a huge contributor to the obesity epidemic. When and how did this happen?

I agree I said this exact thing in that other thread...lack of knowledge, uneducated about calories, serving sizes etc.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    The article seems to support what I see most people on this website say about "healthy foods:"

"Weight balance depends on calories. But managing weight—and overall health—very much depends on where those calories come from. It’s not so easy to overeat vegetables, fruits and whole grains, or relatively unprocessed foods of any kind, because these tend to be bulky and fill you up before you eat too much. You can still gain weight on these healthy foods, but it’s harder."

• SezxyStef
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    The article seems to support what I see most people on this website say about "healthy foods:"

"Weight balance depends on calories. But managing weight—and overall health—very much depends on where those calories come from. It’s not so easy to overeat vegetables, fruits and whole grains, or relatively unprocessed foods of any kind, because these tend to be bulky and fill you up before you eat too much. You can still gain weight on these healthy foods, but it’s harder."

I think it depends as well on what you are eating.

For example avocado, fruit, whole grain breads, beef, cheese etc can all be healthy foods but high in calories. As an example when I showed my son a serving of peanut butter he was shocked...same goes with nuts etc.

Veggies, fish, seafood and lean meat like chicken not so much.

It can also be defined on how it's prepared. Salmon with hollandaise sauce for example or glazed carrots, squash baked with brown sugar and butter....alfredo sauce...

none of the above could be described as "unhealthy" except for the calorie content.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

That statement is true, but it's not at all hard to overeat healthy foods unless we don't consider fat to be healthy.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

That statement is true, but it's not at all hard to overeat healthy foods unless we don't consider fat to be healthy.

This is so true! I managed to be overweight quite easily eating healthy foods, I love to cook from scratch and would always have second helpings. My food is that good!! LOL
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Ruatine wrote: »
    I think it's incredibly easy to understand calories. It's just that very few people actually take the time to learn about it or teach it.

This is the part I have a problem understanding. When did parents stop teaching their children how to eat right? I learned about calories and how we get fat at home.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Ruatine wrote: »
    I think it's incredibly easy to understand calories. It's just that very few people actually take the time to learn about it or teach it.

This is the part I have a problem understanding. When did parents stop teaching their children how to eat right? I learned about calories and how we get fat at home.

I wonder if it's when both parents starting working away from home and "easy" foods became the norm...

I wasn't taught about calories but I was taught about how to eat healthy foods but at the same time...my mom was a Major in the "Clean Plate Police" force...and serving sizes were not discussed....

My husband on the other hand was told to take half of what he wanted and go back for 2nd's or 3rd's if he was still hungry...he has never had a weight problem.

• SezxyStef
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

This is so true! I managed to be overweight quite easily eating healthy foods, I love to cook from scratch and would always have second helpings. My food is that good!! LOL

me too...I love to cook and try new things...I don't have 2nds as much now tho...*cries* but I Really don't need them.