What in your diet are you willing to give up for the rest of your life?

Options
Hi,
As we all know to lose weight is one thing, but to keep it off is another. And our eating habits may have more to do with it all than the exercise alone, as I have always heard 80% what we eat and 20% exercise.
I have successfully kept off about 40 pounds by never drinking another soda in over 3 years. I can see myself never having another one. I'd rather eat my calories than drink them.
I still have about 20 pounds to lose, so I need to examine my diet it again to see what else may be permanently given up. Sometimes it's only little things that can make a difference like switching to lower calorie mayonnaise or using nonfat cooking spray instead of butter. Switching to Stevia for sweetener instead of sugar for the coffee.
What have you decided to give up in your diet to keep the weight off?

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    nothing - all things in moderation - I have seriously cut down on simple carbs, but I still eat them!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Not a thing.
    I lost over 1/2 of my current body weight and have kept it off for over 2-1/2 years, eating all foods in moderation, and portion control. I intend to keep this up for the rest of my life, as it is working so far, why change?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    What in your diet are you willing to give up for the rest of your life?

Nothing.

I don't like drinking my calories either, and have made a point of not drinking my calories for the last 25 years ... mostly. I will drink my calories on long bicycle rides ... and once in a while I'll have a mocha coffee just because I like them.

I do like lower calories choices ... for example, I prefer low cal yogurt to a thick greek yogurt. It's a texture thing. Except for one particular brand of greek yogurt in two of their flavours. Those I like and I have once in a while.

It's all about once in a while for some things ... rather than regularly.

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I'm also in the nothing category.

There are some foods I won't seek out, and many I won't eat frequently. But there's not one single food to which I would say "I will never eat this again."
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Just wanted to congratulate you in giving up the soda. Good life move.
    Butter - keep it. The cooking spray is fat (and not even a good fat). Your brain needs fat to function so don't omit things like eggs, almonds, avocado, salmon. Look for mayo made with olive oil?
    I'm trying to give up deep fried fast foods. So far a year. Yes, this includes McDonalds french fries.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Nothing - I don't blame any particular item for making me fat, I don't hold any particular item eaten or not eaten responsible for keeping me slim either.
    I also eat about the same calories now as I did before too.
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Nothing! I'm not giving up anything!
    I'd quite happily never eat liquorice, tomato soup, aniseed balls and Brussel sprouts ever again but that's because they're all gross.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I'm in the moderation camp.

Actually, I could probably live a long and healthy life without ever eating candy, but it would be weird at halloween and christmas. And I've gone years at a time without drinking alcohol, or eating meat, years at a time without boxed breakfast cereal (I got mad that it cost so much) but that didn't seem to keep me at a different weight. Haven't had soda with sugars since I was like 9 years old, except in the context of the occasional mixed drink, and diet ones don't have calories so those don't seem relevant.

I think moderation is the key, and eat everything you enjoy, just not as much and not all the time.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Absolutely nothing!! Except I am willing to give up organ meat cuz yuck!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Not a darn thing. Now give me that pizza.
  • ejb499
    ejb499 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yeah you don't need to give up anything. Moderation is the key. Just make sure you log everything. That said, for me fried foods are pretty much always a no. It would be OK to eat them in small amounts but I know once I get going I'm going to eat too much. I do make a very very rare exception for fried seafood (fish, clams, shrimp, oysters, calamari) because I just love them so much but even then it's maybe twice per year or so.