What in your diet are you willing to give up for the rest of your life?

Options

Replies

• kthompson601
    kthompson601 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    So far the only thing I've given up is chocolate frosted Poptarts. I used to eat them for breakfast every day. Now I have a smoothie with veg and fruit and lots of added protein instead. I haven't had a poptart in several years, and I don't miss them at all.

Other than that, I eat pretty much what I want. I have given up meat for a few months, but I don't know if I'll do it forever.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Nothing. There are things I eat less of, or eat less often, but I haven't given up anything.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Funny thing. I gave up diet Pepsi and it was really hard to do. I used to drink at least 2 litres a day...once I gave it up (first I switched to pops I liked less) I stopped caring about it.

I guess I could have one now. I'm not actively denying myself the pleasure...it just doesn't seem 'll that appealing to me anymore.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    There is stuff I eat less often, but there's nothing I had to give up forever in order to lose weight and maintain my weight loss.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I'm not giving up anything, but I will just stop eating or throw away food that doesn't taste as great as I think it should. Like store-bought baked goods, as mentioned above.

I'm definitely keeping butter, full fat sour cream, buttermilk, and cheese. They make me happy, keep me full and satisfied, and taste really good. At this point it's quality over quantity.
  • RunnerGirl1402
    RunnerGirl1402 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I must be in the minority. There are certain trigger foods that I cannot eat any more, or they trigger binges. I've learnt the hard way. So no more Nutella, peanut butter or white bread unfortunately.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    It's all about once in a while for some things ... rather than regularly.

This. I haven't given anything up, but some things are severely limited in amount and frequency.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I've been in maintenance for over three years, and I also don't log...there is nothing I've given up. I maintain very healthful habits overall...I eat well for the most part and I exercise regularly, but I haven't given anything up entirely. I consume less of certain things...soda would be an example...I used to drink 3-6 sodas per day...now I might have 6 sodas in a year or something, but I still drink soda. When I go out for pizza which we do at least once per month, my wife and I get a small and we each have a couple of slices rather than downing an entire large with everything on it...stuff like that...but no, I don't see it as necessary to give anything up entirely.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Nothing. Ever.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,986 Member
    Options
    JenHuedy wrote: »
    Low-quality baked goods.

If I'm going to eat a cookie, donut or a cupcake it's going to be a yummy homemade or gourmet goodie. Not some dried out grocery store sugar bomb or tasteless box mix waste of calories.

Same goes for chocolate.

100% yes. I don't waste my money on subpar products, so why would I waste my calories on mediocre treats. I haven't given up any foods that I truly love, just "meh" stuff I can do without.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Nothing forever. Some foods I will have very rarely.
    Goldfish crackers, saltine crackers
    Soda pop
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I will fit it in occasionally, rather than completely cut it out
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I gave up eating ALOT, eating at the amount that causes wt gain. I'm sure we all have to give that up. :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Giving up is not an option :D

I don't think that way anymore. But I used to think that way, and that was one of the reasons prior weight loss attempts failed, or, the maintenance bit crumbled to pieces. This time around, I eat the same things as I always had, and I've just added a few things that I might have added anyway; but structured differently - some things more often but in smaller portions, some things less often. Some things are trigger foods - I don't really like them that much, but they have certain qualities that makes it difficult to stop eating, so I don't bring them into my house. Some things I just don't like - but it's mostly a question of preparation/cooking. I don't drink alcohol because I don't get any benefits from it. I don't eat hummus because it sounds like dirt.

If I've given up anything, that would be "overeating".
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    nothing. which is why i eat the same i always have, just less of it.

80+ pounds down over the past 2 years .....
  • auzziecawth
    auzziecawth Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Pasta lol. But I've never been a big fan of it either
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Kale
    Natto
    Non-fried okra
    Liver
    Carnation Instant Breakfast