Cutting out evening snacking

Options
I sometimes have a bad habit of snacking in the evening - usually in unhealthy stuff - but I'm trying to break that habit. Just brushed my teeth to deter any urge to snack. Any other tips for managing food cravings?

Replies

• andrea_nichol
    andrea_nichol Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    *on* unhealthy stuff
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Plan better. Go to bed earlier. Keep jicama handy. And if you do keep the jicama handy, eat 100 g of it when you start thinking you want a snack. It's sweet and crunchy and way lots of fiber. It's also very low calorie. 100 g of it will quench your appetite for snacking.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I save a couple hundred calories for an after dinner snack :)
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I, too, work snacks into my day. I always save a little bit, unless I know I'm having a big dinner.
  • bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm totally a night snacker. I totally just leave calories for my night snack and exercise for a little more. I usually have about 500 cals to eat. I still portion and weigh all my food for snacks.

I like to munch on a serving of popcorn, makes me feel like I'm eating more just because it takes longer to eat it. Lol Like vanilla Greek yogurt and peanut butter protein granola- soo good, tastes like dessert. I get my snacking fix and feel full. I never go to bed hungry :wink:
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    My biggest meal is dinner, too stuffed to jump!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I save myself 300 calories every night for right before bed because I can not go to sleep hungry.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned I would try to just save some calories for night time to see if that helps. There's nothing inherently bad about eating at night as long as you are able to meet your daily calorie and nutrient targets.

It can become problematic if it messes up your sleep, or if you just tend to make worse choices at night which cause you to then over-consume calories. And if that happens is the excess calories causing the problem.

• dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I snack on air popped popcorn pretty much every night. I prelog it when I log breakfast.
  • KECrawford71
    KECrawford71 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this as well. Especially sweet stuff.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I dunno. I plan for two desserts every night. Dinner at 7:30. First dessert at 9, second around 10.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I love nighttime snacking and always save calories for it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    EITHER
    plan to have a snack in the evening and leave calories for it,
    OR
    don't buy snack foods and stick to regular meals only.

YOU are the only one who can figure out the best strategy for YOU.
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I don't keep unhealthy stuff in the house. If it's not there, I can't snack on it. After I've gotten home, had dinner, changed into my jammies, well, I'm too damn lazy to change back into real clothes and drive to the store just because I have a craving.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I used to prelog my snacks in the evening now I am never sure what it will be...but I typically have calories left so it's not an issue.

Last night lime and cracked pepper kettle cooked chips and a mini bar.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Eat dinner later so you aren't hungry or don't have time to snack before bed, or save some calories for a late night snack.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,981 Member
    Options
    I eat about half of my calories for breakfast and lunch and save half for dinner and an evening snack. My go to snack is Chobani Flips Greek yogurt. They are basically greek yogurt with candy in them. It satisfies my sweet tooth and gives me a lot of protien.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    If I eat dinner later, it cuts down on my cravings for a late night snack. Sometimes I feel like I want to eat dinner the second I get home, but if I start a project (laundry, dishes, etc) or go for a walk, usually I'm able to delay by an hour or so, which seems to be enough to keep me full later.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I'm hungrier in the evening than I am in the morning, so I either don't eat until noonish, or have something very small for breakfast, saving calories for the end of the day when I am hungrier. We eat dinner pretty early (young children with early bedtimes, and I really enjoy us all sitting down for dinner at the same time), so after they've gone to bed, I'll have a pretty substantial snack. I just make sure I have room for it.