Has anyone followed gastric bypass or gastric sleeve diet without actually doing the surgery?

Options
If so, was it successful for you? Should I do it?

Okay I have lost 70lbs so far, but for the past eight months, its been hard to get the rest off and I am still in class II obesity. Its starting to really affect my health and it seems like the hunger and the binges are getting harder to combat. I just want my appetite to go away and I was thinking that maybe trying this would tame it.

I can't afford the surgery and I can barely afford buying produce every week...so I thought about doing this as a last resort. Is it possible?

Replies

• cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I'm not extremely familiar with the protocol, but doesn't that kind of plan require very low calories?? With my limited knowledge, it's not something I'd recommend.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    VLC and done under a Dr's supervision. Not recommended.
  • Elaina291
    Elaina291 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    cecsav1 wrote: »
    I'm not extremely familiar with the protocol, but doesn't that kind of plan require very low calories?? With my limited knowledge, it's not something I'd recommend.

Yeah it is pretty low and I wouldn't even be considering it if it wasn't for the fact that I keep getting really bad acid reflux and its really starting to affect my overall health. I am going to go see a gastroenterologist about it soon and see what he thinks about it, but I just can't take the reflux too much longer.
  • aquaeyes83
    aquaeyes83 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had actual Gastric Sleeve. It's very low quantities of food, but mostly protein. It's not really a diet... It's just all you are capable of eating. I eat about 4-5 ounces of food per meal. But I definitely could not follow it without having had the surgery, so props to you! I eat around 1200 calories a day now (7 months out), and more when working out. I will tell you, it's not a cheaper diet. It's similar to Atkins in a way... Where you eat primarily protein and little carb (but with the surgery, it's weird, your body literally doesn't want the carb....it's strange). So I'm not actually sure what you mean by following it?
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    I think (after) gastric bypass diet is 750 calories a day, right? MFP wouldn't allow members to do that on their own under the 1200+ minimum. It would need physician's supervision. I did see a doctor on YouTube promoting intermittent fasting and cutting back severely on calories, but he was carefully supervising people after gastric sleeve.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    There is a book called A Pound of Cure that was written by a bariatric surgeon. He teaches nutrition on YouTube.
  • Elaina291
    Options
    aquaeyes83 wrote: »
    I had actual Gastric Sleeve. It's very low quantities of food, but mostly protein. It's not really a diet... It's just all you are capable of eating. I eat about 4-5 ounces of food per meal. But I definitely could not follow it without having had the surgery, so props to you! I eat around 1200 calories a day now (7 months out), and more when working out. I will tell you, it's not a cheaper diet. It's similar to Atkins in a way... Where you eat primarily protein and little carb (but with the surgery, it's weird, your body literally doesn't want the carb....it's strange). So I'm not actually sure what you mean by following it?

I don't mean to call it a diet because I certainly don't see it as a fad diet, but what I was getting at is that it obviously forces you to change how you think and feel about food. My biggest problem is sugar, so I wonder if I eliminated that and had my body get used to it then maybe I could eat as if I were a gastric sleeve patient and eventually go into normal well portion eating. I see my problem as if I were a drug addict because when I consume processed foods especially sugary foods like ice cream and cookies, I over do it. Even with fruit sometimes I over do it. So by eliminating sugar and mostly eating protein (like on the gastric sleeve lifestyle), I just wondered would that help my food addiction. I know its harder without the surgery and I would get the surgery, but I can't afford it and my insurance doesn't cover it.
  • Elaina291
    Options
    I peeked at your diary. You're doing awesome. Just stick to this.
    Suggestions: Get a digital food scale at walmart if you don't have one, and throw away the ramen noodles and instant oatmeal.
    Get some Fiber One cereal and some almonds. Or even a protein powder shake.
    90% of weight loss is eating right. Don't count on exercise to get you out of this. Do not eat back your extra exercise calories. Start cooking healthy dinners.
    My protein goal is 70 grams a day. Cutting my added sugars to 20 grams or less a day.

I think that's my major problem is that I can't afford keeping up with getting the proper things my body needs such as protein powder or fiber one cereal all the time. I can do it every now and then, but constantly is a bit expensive for me right now. I am working two jobs and still can barely make ends meet. I think that is my major problem with trying to lose the remainder of my weight. I get so stressed out and eat sugary things that keeps the weight on. But I am going to try to do the protein powder at least and eliminate the instant foods like ramen noodles and instant oatmeal as soon as I can afford it.

That's why I thought about just doing the gastric sleeve program because its affordable. I don't have to buy much. Just broth, protein powder, sugar free jello, and water for the first few weeks. And then introducing soft and solid foods the next few weeks. I am also getting my wisdom teeth removed soon, so I would have to do it anyways and I thought hey why not just start now.
  • Elaina291
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    There is a book called A Pound of Cure that was written by a bariatric surgeon. He teaches nutrition on YouTube.

Thanks for that! I will definitely go check that out!
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Without the approval and guidance of a gp it's potentially dangerous....not recommended to do by yourself plus it goes against mpf guidelines.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you stopped buying the sugary crap (as you say, you over do it when you eat these things), you could then reinvest that money into food choices that would move you closer to your goals. YOU control how you spend your money. YOU control what goes in your mouth. THATS where you can put a little more effort into exercising!! I know its tough, but how badly do you want to be successful? Good luck!!
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I've had gastric sleeve surgery and it would not have been possible for me to eat like a post-vsg patient without the actual vsg. Not only is your stomach made smaller, but much of the body's production of the hunger hormone ghrelin is stopped for many months after surgery, as the part of the stomach that produces ghrelin is cut out. Perhaps other people are different but for me, I can say there is absolutely no possibility I could have done the post-op eating plan without the operation.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Elaina291 wrote: »
    cecsav1 wrote: »

Yeah it is pretty low and I wouldn't even be considering it if it wasn't for the fact that I keep getting really bad acid reflux and its really starting to affect my overall health. I am going to go see a gastroenterologist about it soon and see what he thinks about it, but I just can't take the reflux too much longer.

Eating that low-calorie MUST be done under a doctor's care. Otherwise, you are risking compounding the issues you are already experiencing with new health issues. You must be under a doctor's care so they will catch the health problems that are likely to be caused early enough that you can halt the diet and avoid further issues.
  • songbird13291
    songbird13291 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    We don't live in Harry Potter's world, there is no magic bullet. It's hard work and it's frustrating. But you're doing fine.