Drinking Calories

Options
Hey all!

I have currently lost about 16 pounds since April, with about 30 more to go. I have been sticking to the CICO method. I log everything, and the weight loss is strictly dependent on the food I eat since I do not exercise to earn additional calories.

Anyway, my question is: Prior to beginning this weight loss process I would drink a Venti Chai Tea Latte from Starbucks everyday. This drink clocks in at 310 calories, 6g fat, 56g carbs, 53g sugar, and 10 g of protein. I do not like coffee, so this is where I got my caffeine (and slightly in debt, no jk but seriously 5 dollars a day!). I have recently been drinking a black tea lemonade unsweetened instead for 70 calories, and have been getting my Chai tea just 1-2 x/ week. The days I get the Chai I usually don't eat breakfast. Is this utterly terrible? Or should I stick with the idea that if it fits in my calories, just let it stay?

Thanks!!!!

Replies

• RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    As long as it isn't crowding out other things you need or making you feel too hungry (by skipping other food), I wouldn't worry about it. There are days when I eat less because I want to make room for something more calorie-dense.

I figure I will be maintaining my weight for my whole life and that includes sometimes having a fancy coffee drink. You're getting practice at balancing now, while you're losing weight, and I think that's a great thing.

This! I'm maintaining now but I drink about 2-3 cups of coffee a day, complete with the sweetened creamer. It clocks in at about 240ish calories. I still make sure to eat plenty of protein and what not during the day!

• Intentional_Me
    Intentional_Me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster. Thus is a lifestyle change & if you don't want to quit having your treat long term there is no reason to stop now. Of course if you feel hungry you can always look for more low cal options. The strawberry refresher has 90 cals if I remember right! I'd offer more alternatives but they are coffee.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    When i have starbucks, my favorite drinks are in the 200 calorie range. I count it as a snack because it's in my calorie goal for a snack. If it was closer to meal calories, I'd count it as a meal. It might be a carb heavy one, but still a meal.
  • queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Its a quality of life issue. Get your Starbucks and enjoy it!
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I really do believe that if you can afford it within your calorie budget and it is worth it, or important to you, then you go for it!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    The only thing to be weary of is that on a low calorie diet there is not much room for "treats". All calories should be nutrient dense or you will not be able to hit your Micro (Vitamins and minerals) and macros (Fat and protein) minimums.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Why would it be terrible?
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    If you don't feel hungry because you drank your breakfast then it is fine. If it fits in your calorie goal then go for it. That is how you will be able to make it a lifestyle change and not just a diet that you stop at some point. I drink coffee every morning with sugar and half and half. It is only 140 calories for 2 cups (not quite Starbucks) but I like it and it is not something I'm willing to give up. There is no reason you have to totally give up your Starbucks either. Although you might save some money if you do.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    The only thing to be weary of is that on a low calorie diet there is not much room for "treats". All calories should be nutrient dense or you will not be able to hit your Micro (Vitamins and minerals) and macros (Fat and protein) minimums.

This drink has about 300 calories, 6 grams of fat, and 10 grams of protein. I'm going to guess it also has calcium from the milk, as well as some other vitamins.

Would this be what I would want for breakfast regularly? No. But that's totally irrelevant because it's not my breakfast. I can easily imagine a day that hits macro- and micronutrient goals that includes this drink. Lots of people begin the day with a sweeter drink and manage to meet their goals.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

This drink has about 300 calories, 6 grams of fat, and 10 grams of protein. I'm going to guess it also has calcium from the milk, as well as some other vitamins.

Would this be what I would want for breakfast regularly? No. But that's totally irrelevant because it's not my breakfast. I can easily imagine a day that hits macro- and micronutrient goals that includes this drink. Lots of people begin the day with a sweeter drink and manage to meet their goals.

But if she is on 1200 cals/day, that would be 25% of her intake. on 1200 cals/day there is very little wiggle room for non-nutrient dense foods. If she was eating 1800/day, I would not have made that same comment.

So while there is protein and fat, and a couple micros, it would probably hard to hit minimums with the remaining 800 cals, assuming she is on 1200 cals/day
  • quatermore
    quatermore Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You obviously know how to lose weight while consuming this drink and that’s great. That aside, I think 53 grams of sugar in one drink [meal] is way too much sugar. American Heart Association recommends no more than 25 grams of added sugar per day.
    However, a loss of 16 pounds since April is extremely good. I think you’re going to be successful at your weight loss journey even with this sugary drink. Congrats on your weight loss!
  • JeffMatchett
    JeffMatchett Posts: 43 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

But if she is on 1200 cals/day, that would be 25% of her intake. on 1200 cals/day there is very little wiggle room for non-nutrient dense foods. If she was eating 1800/day, I would not have made that same comment.

So while there is protein and fat, and a couple micros, it would probably hard to hit minimums with the remaining 800 cals, assuming she is on 1200 cals/day

I kind of agree here. If you want to simply lose weight more power to you, keep it up, but I can't imagine getting all your micros from that. You could take multivitamins but how well those work is a question no one seems to really know the answer to.

I eat 2500-2800 calories per day and I rarely go over 75g of sugar in a day.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I kind of agree here. If you want to simply lose weight more power to you, keep it up, but I can't imagine getting all your micros from that. You could take multivitamins but how well those work is a question no one seems to really know the answer to.

I eat 2500-2800 calories per day and I rarely go over 75g of sugar in a day.

Those 310 calories don't have to supply her micronutrients for the entire day though. Presumably she has at least two other meals where she can meet her goals. Given that there are macro- and micro-nutrients in this drink (and we don't know if OP is as low as 1,200 calories), I'm not so sure it couldn't be done.
  • Derpy_Hooves
    Derpy_Hooves Posts: 234 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    If it fits in, why not! Personally I would not spend 310 cals on a drink though, I prefer food calories to drink calories (I make exceptions for alcohol in the weekend though), but that's personal preference of course.
    Is there no way you can make it yourself at less calories?
  • Dove0804
    Dove0804 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I say keep on drinking it if that's what you like, and can afford it in calories and in wallet. You may also want to try a grande instead of a venti and see if that's enough to keep you satisfied. I used to only get venti drinks when I went to Starbucks but now find I'm just as content getting the size down.
    Hitting macros and having a balanced diet is important, sure, but to be honest I think it's more important to figure out what you can maintain in the long run.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    When people talk about "Continental" breakfasts or complain that "the french don't eat breakfast, they just ahve coffee and a bite of bread," they're missing the fact that a milky coffee like a latte or cappucino has a lot of calories/nutrition on its own. If you want to drink your breakfast, you're getting more protein with it than some people are getting with their little cup of cereal. My daily breakfast clocks in at 250 calories, so its ballpark where your coffee is.
  • daflipremix
    daflipremix Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above posters, as long as it fits your calorie limit. Make sure you keep hydrated though. My trainers recommend at least drinking water daily based on half of your weight in fluid ounces (50 FL Oz for a 100 lbs weight). Good luck on your fitness goals!
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I agree with the above posters, as long as it fits your calorie limit. Make sure you keep hydrated though. My trainers recommend at least drinking water daily based on half of your weight in fluid ounces (50 FL Oz for a 100 lbs weight). Good luck on your fitness goals!

The good news is that coffee and milk both count when it comes to hydrating the body!
  • rennickm1986
    rennickm1986 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My drug of choice has become Monsters. There are sugar free ones but they taste like crap. 220 calories of pure sugary deliciousness