My rant about the MFP community.

Options
Let me begin by giving you a little back round information about myself:
I'm 18 years old
I have low thyroid(aka the ultimate weight loss inhibitor)
My mothers a dietitian so I've been hearing about healthy choice my entire life
I'm currently attending university to also become a dietitian.
I've lost over 25 lbs within the last year( keeping in mind the whole thyroid issue... not an easy task).

Before i continue remember this is a rant, so you'll probably notice a slight hypocrisy with what I'm saying but I feel like i've kept this comment in too long. Also, before i begin this does not apply to ALL my fitness pal members, i've noticed many very nice helpful and encouraging people and i think that for anyone beginning a weight loss journey this website is great for assistance.

But that right there is the kicker: ITS FOR ASSISTANCE. It is one thing to post your opinion, but an entirely different thing to argue it. I've watched many times people argue a fact that is entirely WRONG, but people continue to insist they're right. I think the issue is this: many people can lose weight, weigh loss is not hard or complicated but not many people can keep it off. Everyone here seems to believe they've got the answer, well guess what? Most of you don't. Do you really think cutting carbs is a life long plan? My mother made me sandwiches every day for lunch for two reasons:

1. Carbs are not as awful as every believes, THEY didn't make me gain weight.
2. They fill you up, so I wasn't hungry 10 minutes later.

Don't get me wrong, i wasn't eating ten slices of bread a day, we were able to PORTION control our meals. We ate all our fruits and veggies, and had a sufficient amount of meat. But we also did this thing called excercise. When i was old enough i joined a gym so my parents, brother and I did work out as a family, but we also went OUTSIDE. Enjoyed long walks, and bike rides. We gardened like it was our day job (because my parents need that award winning land scape). We cleaned the house daily and kept BUSY. And when the day was out, we enjoyed a delicious home cooked meal made by my mother. She knew we were hungry so she FED us.. didn't starve us with small amounts of veggies, but gave us VARIETY in each meal. No, we didn't eat dessert every day but I was not deprived a little ice cream when i really wanted it, or even some cookies and milk if I behaved all day.

You're probably wondering how if we were living such a healthy lifestyle i managed to put on so much weight right? Well at about 15 or so i was diagnosed with my thyroid condition, I was putting on a lot of weight and it seemed like it would never stop. For those of you who don't really understand a thyroid condition: It essentially means I have the world's worst metabolism, everything converts to fat if im not careful, it doesnt break down all those extra calories. This also means that there is a long list of foods i'm especially supposed to avoid because my body doesn't break them down as well. Refined sugars and even some typed of vegetables is on that list, but i've learned to ignore it and it has worked just fine so far.

I'm not sure many people have made it to the bottom of this post, but please remember weight loss is not complicated, neither is maintaining. Eat right, excercise regularly but also live a little. Also remember this: every piece of advice you get on here is just an opinion. There is very little fact as to whether or not it will work for YOU. if you want to lose weight listen to your body. Eat when your hungry and stop when your not. Give into your sweet tooth once in awhile, and don't go over board on the foods you've always known were bad for you.

I know nothing i've said is new information... but it sure feeels good to get it all out.

Replies

• BigZ486
    BigZ486 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Carbs = whole grains = delicious, tasty, filling nutrition.
  • XxBri22xX
    XxBri22xX Posts: 183
    Options
    Well said! I don't read many long posts, but for some reason I couldn't stop reading this one.
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    I dont really get the no carb thing, when did they become the enemy? Surely everything in moderation. I have noticed people seem to do the no carb as a quick fix and it rarely stays off. Although I am sure if its done right it works.
  • emciriaco
    emciriaco Posts: 41
    Options
    I love this post. Well stated!
  • ladyerin79
    ladyerin79 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My mother is an RN and I grew up with the exact same diet. We also spent everyday outside if it was nice, doing our chores first and then playing. I enjoyed your rant--and I made it to the bottom! LOL :laugh:
  • JoeyC07
    JoeyC07 Posts: 42
    Options
    Let me begin by giving you a little back round information about myself:
    I'm 18 years old
    I have low thyroid(aka the ultimate weight loss inhibitor)
    My mothers a dietitian so I've been hearing about healthy choice my entire life
    I'm currently attending university to also become a dietitian.
    I've lost over 25 lbs within the last year( keeping in mind the whole thyroid issue... not an easy task).

Before i continue remember this is a rant, so you'll probably notice a slight hypocrisy with what I'm saying but I feel like i've kept this comment in too long. Also, before i begin this does not apply to ALL my fitness pal members, i've noticed many very nice helpful and encouraging people and i think that for anyone beginning a weight loss journey this website is great for assistance.

But that right there is the kicker: ITS FOR ASSISTANCE. It is one thing to post your opinion, but an entirely different thing to argue it. I've watched many times people argue a fact that is entirely WRONG, but people continue to insist they're right. I think the issue is this: many people can lose weight, weigh loss is not hard or complicated but not many people can keep it off. Everyone here seems to believe they've got the answer, well guess what? Most of you don't. Do you really think cutting carbs is a life long plan? My mother made me sandwiches every day for lunch for two reasons:

1. Carbs are not as awful as every believes, THEY didn't make me gain weight.
    2. They fill you up, so I wasn't hungry 10 minutes later.

Don't get me wrong, i wasn't eating ten slices of bread a day, we were able to PORTION control our meals. We ate all our fruits and veggies, and had a sufficient amount of meat. But we also did this thing called excercise. When i was old enough i joined a gym so my parents, brother and I did work out as a family, but we also went OUTSIDE. Enjoyed long walks, and bike rides. We gardened like it was our day job (because my parents need that award winning land scape). We cleaned the house daily and kept BUSY. And when the day was out, we enjoyed a delicious home cooked meal made by my mother. She knew we were hungry so she FED us.. didn't starve us with small amounts of veggies, but gave us VARIETY in each meal. No, we didn't eat dessert every day but I was not deprived a little ice cream when i really wanted it, or even some cookies and milk if I behaved all day.

You're probably wondering how if we were living such a healthy lifestyle i managed to put on so much weight right? Well at about 15 or so i was diagnosed with my thyroid condition, I was putting on a lot of weight and it seemed like it would never stop. For those of you who don't really understand a thyroid condition: It essentially means I have the world's worst metabolism, everything converts to fat if im not careful, it doesnt break down all those extra calories. This also means that there is a long list of foods i'm especially supposed to avoid because my body doesn't break them down as well. Refined sugars and even some typed of vegetables is on that list, but i've learned to ignore it and it has worked just fine so far.

I'm not sure many people have made it to the bottom of this post, but please remember weight loss is not complicated, neither is maintaining. Eat right, excercise regularly but also live a little. Also remember this: every piece of advice you get on here is just an opinion. There is very little fact as to whether or not it will work for YOU. if you want to lose weight listen to your body. Eat when your hungry and stop when your not. Give into your sweet tooth once in awhile, and don't go over board on the foods you've always known were bad for you.

I know nothing i've said is new information... but it sure feeels good to get it all out.

Great post..Thank you for sharing....double bump
  • Bellyroll
    Bellyroll Posts: 316
    Options
    Agreed there are people here who think they have their MDs or Degree in nutrition or somthing.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    i love carbs, and could never give them up or sugars. Supposedly it is more addictive then cocaine I also agree that losing weight is actually easy, but keeping it off is the hard part. I know I've done it, lost lots and gained back over time.

But I disagree with your sandwich theory, i'm starving to death after a sandwich. I know not the point of your post:flowerforyou: I've never been able to explain it. :huh:
  • Louisemyers29
    Louisemyers29 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I loved this post and I love your positive approach despite the fact that you are in a less fortunate position than most. Good luck with your own weight loss and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody has one. It's always good to remember that. :tongue:
  • Melbel85
    Melbel85 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Awesome post!
  • YvetteSmith69
    Options
    Didn't sound like a rant to me sounded like good advice and TRUTH. I read a post the other day I think you would have loved. It was along the same lines. Good nutrition and exercise is the ONLY way to lose weight and keep it off. It is a lifestyle not some 4, 8, 10 week program that you join, lose some weight, go off of and then put the weight back on. People spend too much time looking for an easy way when the easy way is right in front of them. Eat right and exercise, it's that simple.
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    My mother is an RN and I grew up with the exact same diet. We also spent everyday outside if it was nice, doing our chores first and then playing. I enjoyed your rant--and I made it to the bottom! LOL :laugh:

agree entirely! right down to the mother is an RN thing. :smile:
  • Aireyma
    Aireyma Posts: 55
    Options
    I made it to the bottom!!

Right on!!!!
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I love carbs, I seem to have lost some weight...lol! I also know about the thyroid, my daughter was diagnose when she was 7 and she is now 15. She has a weight problem, and Im trying to help her as much as I can. I dont come on here thinking I know everything, cause I dont. I know what works and dont and I find myself stump from time to time but I know it takes committment and motivation is number one.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    :heart: Yes. Everyone needs to read this post.
  • heidiscool
    heidiscool Posts: 36
    Options
    Yes, exercise and nutrition are important and your post was dead on, but if that was it, there would be no obesity epidemic. There is something called compulsive eating that is usually the reason for most people carrying around an extra 100 or so pounds. Telling them to eat right and exercise doesn't help, there is definitely a mental component to it as well, so although I like your common sense approach, I think it should be said.
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    That's good common sense. On this site some people believe that "you aren't hungry because you're brain isn't getting the proper signals so you have to eat more."

I believe the same thing you do, if you're hungry eat, if you're not don't, not hard. Just so everyone knows... a low calorie diet over a long time impairs the thyroid, so does a low carb diet over time.
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options

agree entirely! right down to the mother is an RN thing. :smile:

Ditto!

I have had hypothyroidism since 18 months old so I know how hard it is to lose weight with it. I also have PCOS and for 2 years my body wouldn't let me lose any weight no matter what I did. Now that I am doing things differently though things are easier and it is from eating BALANCED meals like I had when I was a kid. Carbs are not the enemy. They give you energy and make you feel fuller longer. I just watch the ones I eat because my doctor has me on a low glycemic Index plan so I eat the ones lower on the scale, like whole grains and pasta that is low on the glycemic index. most of mine come from fruits and veggies.
  • alexoftroy
    alexoftroy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yay! Love this.
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Well i didn't post this on the mcdonalds website. I posted it on a website for people looking to lose weight. I just want to see healthier weight loss advice, not such extreme measures. Although my mother may be a dietitian MANY of her siblings are severely obese, and regardless of what she's tried to do to help they don't want it. I'm fully aware that not every one will lose weight quite so simply for one reason: not every one has the motivation or wants to LISTEN. I've been a tutor since i was in the ninth grade (though this doesn't have to do with weightloss) i've noticed that many people have the ability to do math, but not many people have the motivation to excel at it. I believe this is true for weight loss as well. Its just as simple as "its all in your head." believe me i know the struggles of wanting to eat a little more then you should, and the mental struggle you have when you eat what you shouldn't then feel disgusted with yourself after. Maybe i should have stated that a little more clearly, and you're absolutely right. But i am just sharing my own personal story/opinion, and while it has worked for me it won't work for everyone.. every rule has an exception.