Family's not being supportive :(

Options
2»

Replies

• tessiebess
    Options
    Kudos to you for taking the reins on your life. It's really too bad that you're in an environment that is so detrimental to your health. I am 100% Italian. I understand loving food and constantly being around family who loves food. I agree with some of the other posts that pitching the idea to your family as "wanting to be healthy" rather than "weight loss" may help them understand what your goals are.

There are ways that you can be healthy without spending money. I think the real key to weight loss (food-wise) is portion control. You at least can control that no matter what kind of food you are faced with. Keep an eye on what is in the food you're eating. You may be surprised to find good nutrients where you least expect them. You can get some great nutrients from foods that most people keep around the house like eggs, milk, or peanut butter for example (all have great amounts of protein)!

As far as exercise goes, a lot of websites have different workouts you can try without needing to buy a video or any equipment. I am a big fan of womenshealthmag.com. They have workouts, nutrition tips, and a bunch of other helpful stuff on their website. If you want something more instructional, youtube definitely has videos for free that you can follow.

~tessiebess
  • along21291
    along21291 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I would try some of leslie sansone's workouts. Some of them are up on youtube and they are a fun and easy way to get yourself to start exercising and they can be done anytime in your own room. Good luck and I wish you the best!
  • TaberGirl1
    TaberGirl1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You can find really cheap work out videos at walmart for around 10 bucks!! That's how much the 30 day shred is at my wal mart. Also, check out youtube.. there are workouts there, that's where I get my tae bo and some dance ones!!

Okay Thanks!
  • TaberGirl1
    Options
    Kudos to you for taking the reins on your life. It's really too bad that you're in an environment that is so detrimental to your health. I am 100% Italian. I understand loving food and constantly being around family who loves food. I agree with some of the other posts that pitching the idea to your family as "wanting to be healthy" rather than "weight loss" may help them understand what your goals are.

There are ways that you can be healthy without spending money. I think the real key to weight loss (food-wise) is portion control. You at least can control that no matter what kind of food you are faced with. Keep an eye on what is in the food you're eating. You may be surprised to find good nutrients where you least expect them. You can get some great nutrients from foods that most people keep around the house like eggs, milk, or peanut butter for example (all have great amounts of protein)!

As far as exercise goes, a lot of websites have different workouts you can try without needing to buy a video or any equipment. I am a big fan of womenshealthmag.com. They have workouts, nutrition tips, and a bunch of other helpful stuff on their website. If you want something more instructional, youtube definitely has videos for free that you can follow.

~tessiebess

Thanks for all of the options!
  • TaberGirl1
    Options
    try freecycle.org or craigslist.org. You can find some free stuff on there.
    Good luck.

Okay thanks I'll try it
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    You're so mature and amazing for taking control of your life. Since you have to finish everything that's on your plate in theory, can you make your plate up yourself? You can fill it with veggies and limit pasta. The veggies will take up a lot more volume, too. Think about the things that you can control (like what's on your plate, what you eat at school, if you walk to a friend's house or get a ride, etc.). It's hard when your family equates food with love-- mine definitely still does, and I'm 26. If I go to my parents' house, and I don't eat the blueberry pie that my mom made, "special" just because I was visiting, I'll get a horrible guilt trip. I know that part of it is me, and it's taken me this long to either 1. have a teeny little piece or 2. tell her that I appreciate her effort and love her very much, but that I'm working very hard, and it isn't a personal attack on her.

Know that there's a very supportive community out here. Hopefully your family will come around when they see how many positive changes you've made! :heart:
  • cedarbrook
    cedarbrook Posts: 28
    Options
    Heard. if ya need daily encouragement add me. Im on a mission and will try and help motivate as much as possible