How did you decide on your maintenance weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    So, to answer the OP's question: I would love to be 120 lbs. (5' 3"); I think I may have to settle for 125 - 130. I'm 43 years old, have carried and birthed two children, and I allowed my skin to be stretched out by 70 lbs. of excess fat; all that has consequences. If I dedicated my energy to having the 24-year-old physique, maybe I could get it done, but I choose to spend my time/energy on other things, like keeping my family alive. Logging in daily, working out 3x/week, and checking the forums is about what I'm comfortable doing right now, so I do.
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    My story's kinda dumb. I've always known I look my best in the high 120s, so initially I picked 126 because it's exactly 9 stone by British reckoning (I'm not even British! I just like round numbers, haha). But when I got down there, a couple of friends commented that I was beginning to look slightly too thin... so I tacked on an extra 2 or 3 lbs, and here I am.
  • Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    somamaley wrote: »
    I decided my target weight range based on the 4 formulas at this web site:
    https://tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=imperial&g=male&age=46&lbs=155&in=69&act=1.2&f=1

Thanks for this, weirdly it's saying I'm at my ideal weight right now which is a bit of a surprise! However it's also telling me I need 156g protein a day which I'm less convinced about!
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I simply went for the middle of BMI and knowing what I look like.
    To be honest it changed too - Initiatlly it was just gettign to 25.0 BMI, but I am now below that. I am now aiming 5Kg below my initial goal as my target. At this stage it would be the lower end of my range acceptable (59-63), but who knows? I am currently likeing the way my body is developing and as this keeps going so well I may adjust again.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Initial goal was the top of a healthy bmi, which was 137. I maintained at that for a couple months and decided I would try for 10 more pounds. When I got there I moved into maintenance again but ended up losing a bit more, just to because I wanted 127 to be at the top of my maintenance range. I'm at like 123-124 now and feel good. I could lose more but nah.
  • X_Sooner
    X_Sooner Posts: 366 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Frosh year of college weight. Made sense to me. was the most healthy time of my life
  • somamaley
    somamaley Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Thanks for this, weirdly it's saying I'm at my ideal weight right now which is a bit of a surprise! However it's also telling me I need 156g protein a day which I'm less convinced about!
    [/quote]

I'm not sure if its telling you that you need 156g of protein. I think its saying that based on your input data, that your macro breakdown for x amount of calories includes 156 grams of protein. For instance, if you say you are not convinced you need 156g of protein then you need more fat or more carbs in your diet to hit your calorie goal. which is fine, I make no judgment on that, my preference is to hit my protein goals first though and then fats and carbs.

This is a great site also by the way, I found it very accurate for seeing what weight I would be at what time during weight loss, expert mode preferred:

https://www.supertracker.usda.gov/bwp/index.html

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Kdp2015 wrote: »

@Kdp2015

It's not saying you need that much protein - just a suggested macro breakdown. What you need is at least a minimum amount for health or more preferably an adequate amount taking your activity and exercise into account.

It's actually working on a percentage split which makes very little sense when, if you are like me, a lot of my TDEE comes from exercise. Protein and fats as minimums rather than percentage goals gives you a lot more flexibility.

At my maintenance weight of 164lbs it's suggesting a range of 225 - 299g of protein which is totally unnecessary.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Between 120-130lbs (I'm 5'5") is what I look the best at and where I hope to maintain. I'm not sure I could maintain below that or that it would even make sense to.

In theory, I think I could go all the way up to 140 IF I started lifting heavy. But seeing how I cannot get myself to seriously pursue lifting.

Anyway, it took me awhile to come to the decision on where to maintain. Back when I was over 200lb, I swore I would look hot at 180lb. LOLOLOL, what was I smoking? Then I thought I might stop at 165, and then 155, then 140, then 135. Finally, I reached the 120s and just feel like this is where I have to stop. It doesn't make any sense to lose any more weight at this point and I look incredible.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I let my nutritionist figure it out lol.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Initially my goal was 120 lbs (47, 5'2") as I'd usually looked best in the low 120s. I'd been lifting weights throughout my weight loss. I got to 120 and got a Bodpod test. 23% BF. I decided I wanted to get leaner so got down to 116. At that point I didn't want to lose any more weight and decided to recomp since I'm probably around 20% BF now.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I never set pre-maintenance weight goals. Although I do consider theoretical values, I let the mirror and my eyes decide.
  • sappermuff
    sappermuff Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Power lifting. I can be more competitive at 198 or 181 than a slovenly 240.
  • richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    The weight where I don't have a belly sticking out. Usually 140-145 lbs
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    It happened suddenly, yesterday I was depressed about weight and food.
    Like if I wanted to weigh less, I'll eat less, if I wanna maintain this goal weight I'll have to be more active in order to eat a little more, which is still unsatisfying .
    But today, in the morning I've decided to accept myself,I'm 5'3, I was 124 lbs and now im 121, at first I wanted to be 115, and to be honest, I was fooled by the perfect body image and the media.
    I have the Hourglass figure, I wanted to look skinny, I know I'll always be on the curvy side no matter what.
    I need to embrace my body, I'll forget about those super lean legs and that wide thigh gap.
    My hip bones and rib bones stick out, so I guess that's enough,besides the caloric deficit makes me tired all the time.
    I've decided to eat healthy and work out in order to be healthier and stronger.
    Another reason is because I was afraid of getting in an eating disorder, I used to hate what I see in the mirror, sometimes I'd eat something then spit it out, I wanted to be anorexic, I used to cry a lot.
    But now I'm finally relieved.
    Hehe sorry for the long answer.

Glad you mentally overcame the doubt and negativity and learned to see and appreciate your true self. I used to be really self-conscious as a skinny, weak teenager and weightlifting helped improve my confidence and self-image.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I decided that I can live with 1400-1500 net cals a day, and that I would be whatever weight I would be. (For the record, I am 5'2.5" and mostly staying in the 130s. I could go down to 120, but a) I would hate eating less, and b) I need something to fill out at least a little of all this loose skin. Under 130, I start to look even older than I already do!)
  • wendymoira
    wendymoira Posts: 40 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I lost to get down to my lowest adult weight (pre-kids) and have been there for about six months. It's fun to see which of the clothes I kept from ten years ago still fit (my tastes have changed a little; so have jeans cuts), and I got really tired of tracking calories, changing sizes, & having to scramble for clothes, but I don't love my body yet - and technically I'm still well into the overweight range. I think I'm going to hold here for a full year, do a little more strength training to see if I can reshape some things, and then reassess to see if I want to go back to losing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    never had a goal weight...body weight is made up of so many different things that having some arbitrary weight on the scale never made any sense to me. I knew basically what I was shooting for aesthetically and I knew that losing weight was only part of that equation. I also knew roughly what BF% I would need to be at to achieve that look, so I let that be my guide.

When I reached my desired level of BF I started just focusing more on my training because, again...I knew losing the weight was only part of the puzzle...eating more at maintenance allowed me to do more things in the gym. That was over three years ago and my body is constantly changing...and I leaned out a bit more when I thought I wanted to be a lower BF% (12% is kind of my magic number) but I found it very difficult to maintain that level of leanness...

IDK, it pretty much seem like an ever evolving kind of thing...but for me, like I said...it has very little to do with the number on a scale.