Has anyone followed gastric bypass or gastric sleeve diet without actually doing the surgery?

Options

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Frozen veggies are cheap and you won't waste money if they go bad. Beans, canned tuna, brown rice can all be added in. I love yogurt as a sweet treat. Limit the surgery stuff you by and put it towards healthier stuff. Was Mart has cheap protein powder.

You can lose weight eating the surgery stuff--you're just eating too much of it. Going over your calorie goal is what limits your progress, not one food in particular.

Given you're prone to binging now, it doesn't seem like a super restrictive diet is in your best interests. You want to build sustainable habits.

What about seeing a licensed counselor? There must be some mental health coverage on your insurance. Addressing what causes you to binge/eat surgery stuff can really help. Stress causes so many issues for us. If you can find the money for the gastroenterologist, hopefully you can find the money for the copayment for the psychologist. Your mind is just as important to take care of as your body. :heart:
  • wolfgirl78
    wolfgirl78 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm a gastric sleeve patient too. I would not be able to eat like I do/did if I had not had the surgery. I'm physically not able to eat over a certain amount.
    I think you're setting yourself up for a binge trying to eat like a gastric sleeve patient.
    Eat in a calorie deficit, buy a digital scale and weigh and measure your food.
    Good Luck!
  • szkodzt
    szkodzt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have recently (1 1/2 months ago) switched to a higher protein/lower sugar diet and I am surprised at how I don't even crave the junk food. I used to snack every night on goldfish crackers, pretzels, chips, etc and now I have no desire to do so. I also have three kids so am still feeding them pizza, mac and cheese, etc and am not tempted by any of it! I think if you concentrate on trying to get in more protein (and as people have described above, that does not need to be expensive) you may be surprised on how your cravings change.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Congrats on taking off the 70 pounds.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 70lbs. Definitely go see someone about your reflux. Get on some meds if necessary. Don't put yourself on a very low calorie diet. You are doing fabulous. It's totally possible your weight and heartburn issues aren't related at all. My sister is 5'10" and like 130lbs soaking wet. She eats really healthy...but she has raging heartburn like all the time. She has like GERD or IBS or something.

Try to avoid trigger foods if you have them. Like I have an iron stomach mostly but freaking bananas just kill me with heartburn.
  • Elaina291
    Elaina291 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Congrats on taking off the 70 pounds.

Thanks!
  • Elaina291
    Options
    Congrats on the 70lbs. Definitely go see someone about your reflux. Get on some meds if necessary. Don't put yourself on a very low calorie diet. You are doing fabulous. It's totally possible your weight and heartburn issues aren't related at all. My sister is 5'10" and like 130lbs soaking wet. She eats really healthy...but she has raging heartburn like all the time. She has like GERD or IBS or something.

Try to avoid trigger foods if you have them. Like I have an iron stomach mostly but freaking bananas just kill me with heartburn.

Yeah you're right, I guess I can't really decide on anything until I see the gastro dr and find out what's going on. Thanks!
  • Elaina291
    Options
    szkodzt wrote: »
    I have recently (1 1/2 months ago) switched to a higher protein/lower sugar diet and I am surprised at how I don't even crave the junk food. I used to snack every night on goldfish crackers, pretzels, chips, etc and now I have no desire to do so. I also have three kids so am still feeding them pizza, mac and cheese, etc and am not tempted by any of it! I think if you concentrate on trying to get in more protein (and as people have described above, that does not need to be expensive) you may be surprised on how your cravings change.

Yeah I guess I will focus on getting more protein and less sugar. I think sugar is my main problem. Its really like a drug.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating prepared foods and it changed my cravings. Since dumping pepsi, chocolate, pizza, burgers, chips-sour cream and onion soup dip, I've been losing a pound a week. Just today on Facebook I saw how people loose weight eating fewer carbs. I lost 24 pounds in the past year despite the loss of my friend and my dog. As for the gastric bypass stuff, what caliber of surgeon cuts out healthy tissue? Just eat lower carb and especially lower crap. Saturdays I shop and Sundays I cook tub of hard cooked eggs. tub of bitter greens and beans soup, Pan o meatloaf-8 servings. Pan o salmon loaf-8 servings. Cheaper and so much better than instant. Donate the the instant oatmeal which is full of sugar and refined carbs as is the ramen which is fried noodles.
  • Elaina291
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    Maybe if you stopped buying the sugary crap (as you say, you over do it when you eat these things), you could then reinvest that money into food choices that would move you closer to your goals. YOU control how you spend your money. YOU control what goes in your mouth. THATS where you can put a little more effort into exercising!! I know its tough, but how badly do you want to be successful? Good luck!!

To a certain extent, but if you know anything about our economy, you know that that's not totally true. A lot of how we eat is based on how much you earn for a living. Now that its summer I can go out and buy more produce, but when it was winter/spring, everything was 4.99 or higher. The cheapest things to get when you're on a budget are the sugary crappy foods. And even though its summer and prices are relatively lower, I still have trouble buying produce because I am on a tight budget.
  • Elaina291
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Frozen veggies are cheap and you won't waste money if they go bad. Beans, canned tuna, brown rice can all be added in. I love yogurt as a sweet treat. Limit the surgery stuff you by and put it towards healthier stuff. Was Mart has cheap protein powder.

You can lose weight eating the surgery stuff--you're just eating too much of it. Going over your calorie goal is what limits your progress, not one food in particular.

Given you're prone to binging now, it doesn't seem like a super restrictive diet is in your best interests. You want to build sustainable habits.

What about seeing a licensed counselor? There must be some mental health coverage on your insurance. Addressing what causes you to binge/eat surgery stuff can really help. Stress causes so many issues for us. If you can find the money for the gastroenterologist, hopefully you can find the money for the copayment for the psychologist. Your mind is just as important to take care of as your body. :heart:

Frozen veggies are not cheap at my grocery store. Its 3.99 a bag. Canned veggies $1.89, sometimes cheaper. Which one would you choose if you only had only $20 to spend, this is including gas?

And for me I have been on this weight loss thing for almost 7 years and one thing I realize is that the sugary stuff is an all or nothing type deal for me. I have an addiction and I know now that I just have to eliminate it altogether.

And I have been to a nutritionist, psychologist, and even took nutrition classes, but I know for a fact that the only way I am going to beat this is by eliminating sugar.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    https://optimisingnutrition.com/?blogsub=confirming#blog_subscription-2. Dr Naiman said the chharts on this web page explain it better. They are a must read.

I'm a diabetic who gives themselves shots weekly. I'm on the no white foods, flour, sugar, diet for 90 days until I go to Paris to see what it does for me. In Paris I'll be drinking a little wine and eating a pastry a day while walking, walking, walking.
  • Elaina291
    Options
    https://optimisingnutrition.com/?blogsub=confirming#blog_subscription-2. Dr Naiman said the chharts on this web page explain it better. They are a must read.

I'm a diabetic who gives themselves shots weekly. I'm on the no white foods, flour, sugar, diet for 90 days until I go to Paris to see what it does for me. In Paris I'll be drinking a little wine and eating a pastry a day while walking, walking, walking.

This is definitely instructive. I will definitely be checking this out and yeah for the most part I am trying to stay away from bread and plan to cut all white stuff out completely along with refined sugars.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    What does your weekly shopping list look like? Including what you might spend on snacks at work. A lot of us are on budgets, some tighter than others. I have a pantry full of cans of beans because they were on sale, as well as the packaged oatmeal I like (100 calories a serving). Also, canned tuna and whole wheat pasta. If we know what you have to work with, I'll bet some of the creative folks can help with recipe ideas.

I also shop my local store on Wednesdays because you get the sale prices from the previous week and the next week. I clip coupons to save more. I don't buy chips, crackers or anything else I'm likely to overeat (usually). Sometimes I do make room for a treat. :smiley:

Measuring out portions, on my food scale, also really helps me stay on track as it's helped my groceries last longer as I'm not overeating like I used to due to a misconception of portion size.
  • Elaina291
    Options
    Elaina291 wrote: »
    I peeked at your diary. You're doing awesome. Just stick to this.
    Suggestions: Get a digital food scale at walmart if you don't have one, and throw away the ramen noodles and instant oatmeal.
    Get some Fiber One cereal and some almonds. Or even a protein powder shake.
    90% of weight loss is eating right. Don't count on exercise to get you out of this. Do not eat back your extra exercise calories. Start cooking healthy dinners.
    My protein goal is 70 grams a day. Cutting my added sugars to 20 grams or less a day.

I think that's my major problem is that I can't afford keeping up with getting the proper things my body needs such as protein powder or fiber one cereal all the time. I can do it every now and then, but constantly is a bit expensive for me right now. I am working two jobs and still can barely make ends meet. I think that is my major problem with trying to lose the remainder of my weight. I get so stressed out and eat sugary things that keeps the weight on. But I am going to try to do the protein powder at least and eliminate the instant foods like ramen noodles and instant oatmeal as soon as I can afford it.

That's why I thought about just doing the gastric sleeve program because its affordable. I don't have to buy much. Just broth, protein powder, sugar free jello, and water for the first few weeks. And then introducing soft and solid foods the next few weeks. I am also getting my wisdom teeth removed soon, so I would have to do it anyways and I thought hey why not just start now.

No. If you are binging and not doing well on the plan you're already on, you will definitely not do well with a more restrictive diet. You don't need ramen noodles or instant oatmeal, unless that's what you like to eat, and in that case, you just fit it into your goals. Some cheap foods to fill up on: beans (if you have a Costco or similar store, you can get a HUGE BAG of dry beans for cheap- around $0.30 a pound), regular oatmeal is usually a dollar or less per pound, fruit that is IN SEASON, I get a 1 lb bag of baby spinach for around $3, eggs, cottage cheese, buy meat on sale, etc... There is no reason that it has to be a choice between basically a liquid diet or buying expensive food... Your binges are most likely halting your progress. Stop binging. Don't deprive yourself of things you like, just fit them into your goals, so you won't feel a need to binge.

Thanks I will try harder I guess.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Also check out a book called State of Slim. Virtually eliminated my cravings in a couple weeks. For me the key was getting off the sugar. Not easy the first 2 weeks but you can do it. The key to weight loss is calories, eliminating the cravings allowed me to eat fewer calories.
  • Elaina291
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    What does your weekly shopping list look like? Including what you might spend on snacks at work. A lot of us are on budgets, some tighter than others. I have a pantry full of cans of beans because they were on sale, as well as the packaged oatmeal I like (100 calories a serving). Also, canned tuna and whole wheat pasta. If we know what you have to work with, I'll bet some of the creative folks can help with recipe ideas.

I also shop my local store on Wednesdays because you get the sale prices from the previous week and the next week. I clip coupons to save more. I don't buy chips, crackers or anything else I'm likely to overeat (usually). Sometimes I do make room for a treat. :smiley:

Measuring out portions, on my food scale, also really helps me stay on track as it's helped my groceries last longer as I'm not overeating like I used to due to a misconception of portion size.

Everything I buy and eat is in my food diary. Its usually anything I can get for $3-4 or cheaper, but I guess I have to reevaluate my shopping list. Oatmeal, spinach, kale, blueberries, beans, strawberries, grapes, cereal, brown rice, ramen noodles and frozen dinners is the usual things on my shopping list because they usually round up to about 30 or 40 dollars.

I used to hate oatmeal growing up, but the instant oatmeal has made it manageable to eat and I actually love it now. Going to regular oatmeal I know is healthier, but its going to suck lol. Cinnamon and blueberries will have to do the trick I guess.

I also love brown rice, but now I realize I might have to trade it in for quinoa or cauliflower to lower the carb content.

And I do portion out my meals, but I guess I am not doing a great job of it lately.