Should I worry about sugar in fruit?

I try really hard to stay in my macros everyday, but I always seem to go over in sugar. I know almost all of my sugar is coming from the fruit I eat, and I've heard people say you shouldn't worry too much about the natural sugars you eat in fruits and veggies. But should I be worried about going over?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Do you have a medical issue that requires you to limit sugar? I changed from tracking sugar to tracking fiber since I have no medical issues and fiber was more useful info to me than sugar.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    If you have a medical reason to restrict sugar or your eating plan requires it (like if you were trying to stay in ketosis or such), then natural sugars matter. For the rest of us, it's a lot of personal preference and choosing our priorities. I don't track sugar and don't worry about it as long as the rest of my goals are being met. Others do. It's up to you.
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    I try to stay within my sugar limit, but if the reason I went over is because of fruit, I don't sweat it. If I stop losing weight at some point, that's one thing I can look at, but I'm eating fruit and losing weight so I'm not going to worry about it. Fruit is healthy.
  • futurecatlady
    futurecatlady Posts: 6 Member
    I try to focus on where it's coming from, more than the level, and don't panic if it's over. If you have concerns relating to your sugar intake, you could talk to your family doctor or a health professional to further assess your particular needs or health concerns.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    No worries, the sugar in fruit is together with an adequate amount of fiber. Processed foods have the sugar but no fiber.
  • x3livox
    x3livox Posts: 48 Member
    Thanks everyone! No I don't have any medical reason to restrict sugar. I've just heard such conflicting things from different people. Some people have said not to worry about natural sugar, and that my body needs it sometimes. Other people have said that sugar is the enemy and if I want to lose weight I need to cut it out completely. But so far I've been able to lose weight with my fruit, and it's summer and l love fruit :D
  • gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    x3livox wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! No I don't have any medical reason to restrict sugar. I've just heard such conflicting things from different people. Some people have said not to worry about natural sugar, and that my body needs it sometimes. Other people have said that sugar is the enemy and if I want to lose weight I need to cut it out completely. But so far I've been able to lose weight with my fruit, and it's summer and l love fruit :D

If you were pre-Type 2 diabetic I would suggest cutting out fruit. But you are not. Enjoy!
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    I eat lots of fruit. Lots and lots. It's my snacks. .. my breakfasts. .. my desserts! I've lost just fine not worrying about the content because it's still a better choice than a chocolate bar or pack of crisps! (And your body loooves to digest fruit! )
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    edited June 2016
    Well sugar isn't really a macro the way you are thinking about it. Macros are carbs, fat, protien. Although sugar is a simple carb. So the real question if you want to keep your macros in check is are you going over on carbs. If you are then one option would be to limit fruits.

Sugar is processed the same in your body whether it comes from fruit or soda, and sugar doesn't effect weight loss.

So to answer your question don't worry about it. You can keep sugar in your diet and still lose weight. You'll see a lot of people say they don't even track sugar.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    No.