Struggling on WHAT to eat!

Please help!! What are some foods besides meat that I could eat that is low carb? I'm really struggling here!

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    Why do you need to eat low carb foods?
  • Moonpiepeeler
    Moonpiepeeler Posts: 7 Member
    I am pre-diabetic and my dr wants me to cut out carbs. The problem is I'm a carb junkie!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Remember that when you decrease carbs, you normally increase fats: dark meat chicken, butter, tuna, bacon, pork chops, eggs, full fat dairy, mayo, avocados, nuts, chia and flax seeds, sunflower seeds.
    Also broccoli, yellow squash, zucchini, eggplant, cucumbers, olives, mushrooms, onions, spinach, asparagus, bell peppers,
    Here is a group:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Besides meat?

Protein powder
    Cottage cheese
    Greek yogurt
    Spinach (I'd say most veggies, but some are better than others)
    Eggs - omelettes, egg muffins, scrambled eggs, egg muffins, etc
    Butter
    Nuts
    Nut butters (watch for added sugar)
    Stevia
    Mayo
    Mustard
    Sugar free relish
    Avocado (guacamole)
    Olive oil
    Almond milk
    Coconut (coconut oil, etc...)
    Half and half
    Crepes

Obviously, some of these things you wouldn't eat by themselves, but add them to or pair them with meat.
  • Moonpiepeeler
    Thank you for your help. My dr wants me to loose weight and cut my carbs. Do you know if weight watchers could guide me with this?
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Did your doctor give you a guideline of what to limit your carb intake to? If not, maybe follow up with them and get more details.

In general, if a doctor said this, I would assume they meant:
    (1) cut out most if not all rice, pasta, breads, grains, potato, cereals, flour
    (2) limit fruit to 2 servings per day
    (3) consume no sugar calories in your beverages
    (4) eat all the whole veggies you can
    (5) make sure you're getting enough fats like olive oil
  • fitdaisygrrl
    fitdaisygrrl Posts: 139 Member
    WBB55 wrote: »
    Did your doctor give you a guideline of what to limit your carb intake to? If not, maybe follow up with them and get more details.

This^^ and would be asking more specifics about why they are recommending low carb and if they can give you some specifics or get you in with a dietitian.

I was pre-diabetic too and the advice was to lose weight. There was no mention of a specific diet to follow from my physician- but know that many doctors may use their own personal experiences or dietary preferences to suggest methods of weight loss. I'd be really skeptical of a doctor just telling me to cut out carbs. Maybe what they meant way to cut back on junk food and refined/simple carbs since you mention you're a "carb junkie."

Just an aside for you- I've since lost 15 lbs and am no longer considered pre-diabetic based on my blood work (though I'm still working on losing 30 more lbs to get into a healthy bmi). I haven't purposefully cut my carbs but have been calorie counting. With tracking calories and macros, cutting back on carbs kind of naturally happens because you start gauging what is and isn't "worth it" in your food choices. IE: instead of a hamburger and fries, I'll have a hamburger and side salad.

My advice- Buy a food scale, read up more on tracking with MFP and educate yourself on eating healthy. If you really want to go low-carb, go for it! But do some research and try out MFP first (or another free calorie-counting site, like Sparkpeople).
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    https://authoritynutrition.com/101-healthy-low-carb-recipes/#snacks

Try this site for some ideas for low carb recepies
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    You may have better luck staying within TDEE and cutting out sugar, which then will indirectly result in less carbs. I try to stay under 30 grams sugar/day--that's both the added and natural kinds, 'cause sugar is sugar for us. I'm no longer considered pre-diabetic, though I still eat like I am. Good luck!
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    I'm not diabetic or anything, but do not react well to carbs - bread baby! Look up 'Ugly beans', a chip/fries substitute, basically whole green beans, bit of salt and garlic and voila chips. (Not sure if your British or not so chips are the same as fries) Total life saver for me. Also youtube/google - cauliflower rice, cauliflower mash, cauliflower pizza base, squash chips, celeriac mash, celeriac chips, protein powder pizza base. If none of these make you forget tatties exist you ain't doin it right ;)
  • robynswmo
    robynswmo Posts: 13 Member
    My Mother was diagnosed in 1999. In 2011, she lost her eye sight due to too much insulin along with kidney failure.

She moved in with me in January 24th, 2011. I immediately changed her diet to whole foods.

Fresh meats, fruits an vegetables.

In 1 month and after her bottoming out due to low sugar levels, I was instructed to ONLY GIVE HER 1 Unit of Insulin if her levels went OVER 160.

Her levels never went over 135.
    So, after monitoring her blood sugar 6-8 per day, her doctor officially took her off insulin in March 2011.

She eats whole foods and occasionally FAKE foods (breads, pancakes and pasta)

It is a balancing act due to her dialysis...

But diabetes are no longer an issue JUST because she stopped eating prepackaged, canned, boxed, instant, preserves, low fat, sugar free, ARTICIAL Sweeteners, sugar... FAKE-foods and artficial/ chemical INGREDIENTS.

If she wanted ice cream, I fed her All Natural Bryers; Milk, Vanillia, and sugar.

Use 100% Oils (Coco Nut oil, Virgin Oils), 100% Sweeteners/ Syrups (100% Maple, 100% Pure Honey, Etc.)

Our bodies know how to break down real foods... We confuse our bodies with Fake food and the body will store that salad, chicken, fish, or any other REAL FOODS/ Healthy MEAL as fat if it has been saturated with artificial sweeteners, refined oils, sodium/phosphates, enriched flours/ grains.

This was my Mother's diabetic experience and resolve.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    cecsav1 wrote: »
    Besides meat?

Protein powder
    Cottage cheese
    Greek yogurt
    Spinach (I'd say most veggies, but some are better than others)
    Eggs - omelettes, egg muffins, scrambled eggs, egg muffins, etc
    Butter
    Nuts
    Nut butters (watch for added sugar)
    Stevia
    Mayo
    Mustard
    Sugar free relish
    Avocado (guacamole)
    Olive oil
    Almond milk
    Coconut (coconut oil, etc...)
    Half and half
    Crepes

Obviously, some of these things you wouldn't eat by themselves, but add them to or pair them with meat.

Not going to lie, I've considered going low carb just to be able to fit mayo into my calories.
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    edited June 2016
    robynswmo wrote: »

How is bread (or any of these things) fake?
    Our bodies know how to break down real foods... We confuse our bodies with Fake food

The enzymes in your digestive system break down carbohydrates, fats and proteins. They don't care how those are combined together. We've been eating bread for 30,000 years, you'd think our bodies would have stopped being confused by now.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    My Mother was diagnosed in 1999. In 2011, she lost her eye sight due to too much insulin along with kidney failure.

She moved in with me in January 24th, 2011. I immediately changed her diet to whole foods.

Fresh meats, fruits an vegetables.

In 1 month and after her bottoming out due to low sugar levels, I was instructed to ONLY GIVE HER 1 Unit of Insulin if her levels went OVER 160.

Her levels never went over 135.
    So, after monitoring her blood sugar 6-8 per day, her doctor officially took her off insulin in March 2011.

It is a balancing act due to her dialysis...

But diabetes are no longer an issue JUST because she stopped eating prepackaged, canned, boxed, instant, preserves, low fat, sugar free, ARTICIAL Sweeteners, sugar... FAKE-foods and artficial/ chemical INGREDIENTS.

If she wanted ice cream, I fed her All Natural Bryers; Milk, Vanillia, and sugar.

Use 100% Oils (Coco Nut oil, Virgin Oils), 100% Sweeteners/ Syrups (100% Maple, 100% Pure Honey, Etc.)

Our bodies know how to break down real foods... We confuse our bodies with Fake food and the body will store that salad, chicken, fish, or any other REAL FOODS/ Healthy MEAL as fat if it has been saturated with artificial sweeteners, refined oils, sodium/phosphates, enriched flours/ grains.

This was my Mother's diabetic experience and resolve.

Whilst it obviously worked for your mother, the science/logic/reasoning behind this is terrible! "Fake" food does not exist, unless its made of plastic.
  • Cereal_Snacker
    Cereal_Snacker Posts: 63 Member
    My Dad followed this when he recently found out he has Type 2 Diabetes https://thebloodsugardiet.com/
  • BigAnnieG
    BigAnnieG Posts: 89 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Why do you need to eat low carb foods?

I think - and I'm just speculating - that is has something to do with insulin resistance. I have PCOS which leads to a pre-diabetic state; I'm taking Metformin (used in Type 2 diabetes treatment) but that's for the PCOS rather than pre-diabetes. However, I think the principle may be the same - insulin resistance is a problem in both health issues - and lower refined carbs in the diet has been shown to help.

However, OP, I would definitely with the others that you need to ask for more guidance/information from your doctor as to what they meant by low carb and also why you need to follow it. If you don't know exactly why you're doing something, it's hard to visualise the end result! :)
  • Moonpiepeeler
    Thank you to everyone who has responded with your help. I'm doing better. At weigh in today I'm down 30.5 pounds.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited July 2016
    Well done!

I am going to emphasise eggs. Eggs, eggs, eggs. Eggs are great. So many things you can do with them!

Omelettes with lots of veg incorporated, and a sprinkling of grated cheese, make a wonderful meal.

Also, where do you stand on tofu? It's lovely fried.