Gluten Free

Options
tessa681
tessa681 Posts: 49 Member
edited November 2023 in Health and Weight Loss
Has anyone gone gluten free and if so what advise could you offer?
I've been doing the calorie counting since I stared my lifestyle change using Lean Cusine meals and Healthy Choice and so far other than falling off the wagon a couple of times its going well. But now I'm seriously considering going gluten free as well as counting calories and being more aware of how I'm fueling my body......Thanks!

Replies

• tessa681
    Options
    Has anyone gone gluten free and if so what advise could you offer?
    I've been doing the calorie counting since I stared my lifestyle change using Lean Cusine meals and Healthy Choice and so far other than falling off the wagon a couple of times its going well. But now I'm seriously considering going gluten free as well as counting calories and being more aware of how I'm fueling my body......Thanks!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed as gluten intolerant...which means no gluten, no wheat, no oats, no barley, no rye and no spelt. It's one of the most difficult diet changes I've made.

But, the difference in my health has been nothing short of miraculous. My allergies (hayfever) have gone from severe to well, gone. I lost inches (not pounds, just bloat) around my middle in a week, enough that I went down a pants size. Also, my energy level is up and I'm less cranky.

Also, my carbohydrate cravings (cookies were my main downfall) have all but disappeared, and avoiding sugar is easy now.

There are plenty of substitutes for wheat products, you can even buy brown rice pasta, which is very good. Wheat is hidden in a lot of foods, so avoiding it entirely is tricky, but for me has been very, very worth it.
  • akrahmer
    Options
    I have a friend who has been working on a gluten-free diet, and she introduced me to something that I now absolutely love: Nut-Thins. You can find them in most grocery stores. They are crackers made out of nuts, and you can get different flavors--pecan, almond, etc. They're really tasty.
  • eonblue
    eonblue Posts: 35 Member
    Options
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the site tina. I don't have alot of information on it. My daughter has issues with most breads and she stays clear of them. I have wondered if other members are having issues with the gluten or wheat as well.

Viviakay what were symptoms that you had before being diagnosed.

Good luck with this tessa.

Eve
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    My symptoms were: nasal allergies that were almost unbearable, shortness of breath during exercise (asthma-like). Severe bloating and cramping, mood swings (think pms, but all the time) and really bad cravings. Also, general weakness and fatigue. The other symptom that is harder to describe is a skin discomfort... like my skin was on too tight? That's the best description of it. I also had skin breakouts that were very ugly.

I go to an MD who is also a naturopath (so into alternative medicine) and he says that one in four people exhibits some signs of an insensitivity to wheat.

I just know that it has changed my whole life to avoid it! All of my symptoms disappeared within two weeks.
  • tessa681
    Options
    Thanks so much for everyone's input! My friend has been gluten free for a while now and doing nothing other than deleting that from her diet she lost so much weight, energy is elevated and she feels good all the time!
    Whole Foods in Colorado sell a great line and will even make you a fresh pizza to take home and bake that is gluten free!
This discussion has been closed.