Weight watchers

Options
Hi there..I just re started ww 1 month ago. I am using this site and WW.com. However, not seeing much loss. I am doing ww online. I also try to workout 2 days a week. My new goal is to up it to 4 x a week, but been so busy. I am hoping to hear from others maybe going thru this and see what everyone has to say. I would appreciate any advice.....

thanks

Replies

• BranMuffin21
    BranMuffin21 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I never lost on the new system. I wish you luck and if you choice to bail on WW, I've been finding MFP to be a better solution as everyhting is straight forward (Actually seeing your calories, fat etc)
  • luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Thanks for advice...i am trying both to see what works best. Do you try to stick to 1200 calories a day?
  • BranMuffin21
    BranMuffin21 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Yep I do but if I work out I will eat the exercise calories. But for the WW I didn't because I was already consuming enough calories for only maintaining my weight. It was a huge nusance.
  • trixie0476
    Options
    I was on weight watchers for a few weeks, and did see some weight loss; however when my sister introduced me to my fitness pal I just used weight watchers for the human support and my fitness pal for everything else. I have since decided to stop weight watchers all together because I couldn't justify spending the money when I was not using their tools. Good luck to you which ever path you choose to take.:smile:
  • lggk01
    lggk01 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I had success with WW before kids, but not with the new system afterwards. I too have found this site to be easier to use, and it's FREE. Good luck to you and finding what works best for you.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I have heard interesting things about points on the new system, and lower success rates. The thing is they have ALOT of fruits labelled as 0 points per serving that are actually 100-400 calories per serving, causing some to eat alot moe then they realize. Ive done alot of different diet plans, I like that baility to eat all the foods I love but actually seeing the calorie fat and sodium content I dont eat certain ones as much!
  • Coleman73
    Coleman73 Posts: 42
    Options
    Yes MFP is very straight forward. You get out what you put in. it can be a bit more work, but the results are there if you are honest with yourself. I'm nearing 100lbs lost before its ove i will have lost as much wieght as one of my MFP's actually weigh. People often ask me if stuff is in my diet, I smile and let them know I can eat anything I want. Its Portion control and exercise that reduce pounds. Not prepakaged sales gimmicks that taste awful. Feel free to friend me and ill help you through with my limited knowledge. My diary is always open.
  • Shaylala
    Shaylala Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have been doing WW for about a year and a half now with WONDERFUL results (47 lbs down!) but I found that trying to do both MFP and WW was throwing off both. I find it is better to just focus on one. I actually only use MFP for motivation, logging exercise and getting foodie ideas. Good luck on your journey!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I am a former WW leader, however I think the one failure of the system is the saving of points. It really lends itself to dangerous habits. People may end up eating too few calories while working out, and that causes the metabolism to slow down, and you may possibly even gain weight if you never eat those extra calories (points).

What you really need to do to achieve fitness and get and stay at goal is eat your exercise calories (points) on the SAME DAY that you earned them. Don't save them for another day, and double or triple up.

Here is a great thread--the first post will explain a lot:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/196502-for-the-people-who-work-out-like-crazy-and-are-not-losing?hl=for+people+who+work+out+like+crazy

blessings.
  • mocorbin
    mocorbin Posts: 24
    Options
    I'm a lifetime member of WW but am never at my goal weight so I have to pay for meetings. I've only been to one of the new points plus meetings and didn't care for it. I did lose 25 # a few years ago with WW though. It really works if I was very strict with the program. Actually I remember looking at it as a game to see how good I could get. Now my heart and mind isn't into that. I use MFP to hold me accountable because I love food too much to live unrestrained....lol. I changed my daily calorie limit to 1300 because I don't like feeling deprived. Last year with MFP I lost the 25# again. It's amazing that I can gain 25# during the bitter winter months and want to lose them when the weather changes. Walking is what helps and MFP is so cool coz it keeps track of everything for you. You can eat more with the calories you earned by exercise or you can lose weight faster if you don't. Good luck Reenie!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    You can eat more with the calories you earned by exercise or you can lose weight faster if you don't. Good luck Reenie!

No, not eating exercise calories is dangerous--it will only work for a while, then you can actually damage your metabolism--this is why you will encounter so many overweight people who exercise hard, eat (too) little, but can't lose, or even gain weight.

Read the first post in this thread for a great explanation:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/196502-for-the-people-who-work-out-like-crazy-and-are-not-losing?hl=for+people+who+work+out+like+crazy

blessings.
  • Pseudocyber
    Pseudocyber Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I started with WW in february, and am still with them. I've lost about 50lbs in 5 months - but have been weaning myself away from weight watchers. what I didn't like is they gave me so many points! I started with 52 points! Good grief. I felt like I could eat @#@$@ and still be under the points. Not to mention the weekly points, the exercise points, etc.

As I've gone on, i am eating so much less "bad for me food" and more fruit and vegetables - so what is the point of logging zero point food in weight watchers? I'm still with them, but I don't log anything with them any more - all on MFP. I'm doing a 1000Cal/day diet - until I get to 200lbs., then I will gradually start "easing up" on myself.

When I hit the 50lb mark with WW, I'm going to cancel them. Honesty they're not doing anything for me - I go weigh in but usually leave not staying for the meeting. I think I am getting a lot more advice, support, and inspiration here than there.

Hope this helps.
  • luvmycandies
    Options
    I am loving all the responses from all of you. Thanks so much. I definitely like MFP better for the support. I need to lose about 25 pounds. I am not great about working out. SO...i just signed up for a boot camp class at a local college 2 x a week and enlisted my friend to join too. I am really hoping this helps the loss. I am not consistent in past with working out. I am huge snacker and love sweets. Need to find ways to curb this a little.
  • JennNYCliving
    Options
    Reenie,

I have done WW both new and old points system. Doing the old points system I loved it, was losing weight and everything. But then came this new points plus program and everything just did not make sense I went from 21points to 29 points plus points being 145lbs and having 29 points plus is way to much, not to mention that their is "free fruit". I got so frusterated with this new points plus system because I was working out a lot and I would only lose .4lbs for two weeks and then gain .6 the next week. It just was not worth the time and money for losing and gaining the same lb for months. Becuase of the new system I have cancelled my program with weightwatchers because the system was not working for me, As for others that agree also! I couldnt believe how many people didnt like the new system just as I didnt. People were in the same situation and said they were not getting anywhere! But I am currently doing Slim-fast along with MFP, and belong to a WW momentum group that this wonderful lady Cidy had made up on facebook for support and encouragement for anything that you do! Its all just about weightloss and support on that page group. Let me know if you would like to join I would like to help you out anyway I can. Wheather it be for support while being on this weightloss journey. You can add me on this site also if you like. Im here for you any decision that you make. In the end it all adds up to wheather you can work with a program that works for you. :)
  • luvmycandies
    Options
    I agree about all the free fruit. I was having like 3-4 fruits a day. This seemed like way too much sugar, even if healthy kind. I have only met a handful of people losing weight on ww so far on new system.
  • luvmycandies
    Options
    Here's another problem...I am always hungry. I need more filling snacks and meals to get me thru day and avoid sweet cravings...any suggestions?
  • Pseudocyber
    Pseudocyber Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Sweets - it sounds like you really need to go cold turkey. My nutritionist said my brain could get addicted to sweetness. You could try replacing granulated sugar with sweet & low - i put it on fruit (grapefruit).

My favorite sweet snack now is watermelon - a bowl of it (a cup - about 200g) is only about 60 Cal! and it's "healthy". And mostly water.

Start working out more. Walk. Run. When you walk for an hour - and have only burned 150 Cal or so, you might rethink some of the candy.

Hope this helps.

ps. Another more healthy/weight loss sweet snack - the Apple Straws from Sensible Portions. They taste really good with Apple and cinnamon and one serving is about 38 straws - around 120 Cal I think.
  • jennyferk
    jennyferk Posts: 2
    Options
    I did WW from January until the end of May. I lost 15 pounds and reached my goal! I have to say that it really did change the way I ate with the focus on healthy foods. I cut way, way back on processed food and replaced all that with fresh, healthy food. That being said, now that I'm just trying to maintain, I prefer MFP. For one thing, it's free. But I eat so much fruit and veggies that it is much easier to track them on MFP, as WW just gives them all PP values of zero.
  • spinaddict4life
    spinaddict4life Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I love ww and have lost 93 pounds. I must say though unless I do clean eating I do not do well. I use both becuase I am diabetic. But you must truly weigh and measure what you eat. And do not overindulge in free food. Stick to most of your calories from power foods, and have sweet treat once or twice a week. The less processed stuff you eat the better!
  • AmandaB4588
    AmandaB4588 Posts: 655
    Options
    I have used MFP for awhile, and this is my 2nd week of Weight Watchers. So far, so good. I lost 5.8 lbs my first weigh in. A friend of mine has also been doing Weight Watchers and has had really great success with it.

So far, I really like Weight Watchers. In my 2 weeks on it, I have made accomplishments that I never made with MFP. The weekly meetings are what will keep me motivated until I find self motivation, I think. I am really happy I was at MFP first though because 1) I love the community here, and 2) I know not to abuse the free fruits!!

When health guidelines say 5 servings of fruits/veggies a day, you KNOW that 4 of those should not be fruits. The free fruits are tempting but my rule of thumb is no more than 2 servings a day. Without MFP, I never would have known that too much fruit is a bad thing! But as my WW leader says, "You didn't get here from eating too much fruit."

The activity points thing with WW really irks me, too (something else I have learned from MFP!!) It doesn't make sense to me to use activity points AFTER the extra weekly points. There is an option to use activity points first. It says to talk to your WW leader about it, and I am going to do that next meeting. I haven't worked out since being on WW (I know, I know.... :embarassed: ) but that is something I definitely need to ask about.